C++ book for beginner?

Johs

I am looking for a good C++ book for beginners. I have some experience
with C and a lot of experience with Java. I am currently reading Bjarne
Stroustrups C++ Programming Language but it starts off rather complex
without examples of compiling modules or making and using classes.

Is there some C++ books that takes you through the whole process of
making modules, compiling them and using classes?

Zeppe

Johs said:
I am looking for a good C++ book for beginners. I have some experience
with C and a lot of experience with Java. I am currently reading Bjarne
Stroustrups C++ Programming Language but it starts off rather complex
without examples of compiling modules or making and using classes.

Is there some C++ books that takes you through the whole process of
making modules, compiling them and using classes?

faq? http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html#faq-28.6

Hope it helps, I always used stroustrup, if you know C is not that bad.
It's a bit complex at the beginning but it explains lot of things and it
contains exercises as well. It just require its time in order to be read
and understood.

Regards,

Zeppe

osmium

Johs said:
I am looking for a good C++ book for beginners. I have some experience with
C and a lot of experience with Java. I am currently reading Bjarne
Stroustrups C++ Programming Language but it starts off rather complex
without examples of compiling modules or making and using classes.

Is there some C++ books that takes you through the whole process of making
modules, compiling them and using classes?

I recommend the current edition of _C++ Primer Plus_ by Stephen Prata first
and then _The C++ Standard Library_ by Josuttis. Those, plus the book you
already have, will give you a very good base. Note that the Josuttis book is
a reference AND tutorial. I think a lot of people get hung up and stop
paying attention and think of it as a reference book. The STL is a
convoluted, academic led, mess and you might well go insane without a book
such as Josuttis.

tao3256

Johs said:
I am looking for a good C++ book for beginners. I have some experience
with C and a lot of experience with Java. I am currently reading Bjarne
Stroustrups C++ Programming Language but it starts off rather complex
without examples of compiling modules or making and using classes.

Is there some C++ books that takes you through the whole process of
making modules, compiling them and using classes?

Some tips may help:
1. a good beginner's book is a book with programming exercises for each
chapters, usually a textbook will do,
2. try to solve each every one of the programming exercises,
3. 2nd book followed will be the good old Stroustrup's C++ book. Just by
reading it, you will be able to appreciate his over-simplified examples,
4. 3rd book will be Stroustrup's 2nd book: "the design and evolution of
C++". Do the same, by just reading it, you will be able to know why we
want to use C++.

Back to the beginner's book, my suggestion will be D. S. Malik's "C++
programming: Program Design including Data Structures", current edition.
I used the book to teach CS1 and CS2 courses. The results were fine
and I required students to finish all the programming exercises. I did
not choose Deitel's book for the first book, but assign it as a
reference (2nd opinion). Malik's book explained simple and straight
forward, and easy to follow than be confused. The weakness is pointers
(specifically function pointers), so you may need to find some other
supplements.

This is my choice, the same for Java beginners.

Dr. Boris Chang