Does C++ Primer offer non-trivial example programs? If not, pleasesuggest a book that does.

Aditya Raj Bhatt

I am seeing recommendations for C++ Primer everywhere (on the C++-faq lite,the stackoverflow list of C++ books) and other places. Now, I bought it and went through the index, but I was dismayed to find only C++ _features_ listed, and no sign of any non-trivial examples.

I have gone through Object Oriented Programming in _Turbo_ C++ by Robert Lafore. While severely outdated, it taught me many useful applications of thefeatures in C++ (A card game, a horse simulation, fractals, a small adventure game) etc. I was wondering if C++ primer offers examples like this. I find it gets very dull if they just say something like, "you can pass a reference parameter using &. Eg.

void Examplefunction (int &x, int &y) {
x=5; y=6;
}

int main() {
int x,y; Examplefunction(x,y);
return 0;
}

"

Stuff like this is very boring to me, with no possible application. I mean,I am not a very creative person, and unless the application of a concept is shown to me explicitly through some useful example, I have a hard time remembering it. So can someone tell me if C++ Primer offers things like this (please mention what specific example it is). And if not, please recommend a book that is heavy on both explanation and big examples (at least, big from the point of a beginner).

Thank you and sorry for being overly verbose. This is my first post on thisgroup.

}

int main() {
int x,y; Examplefunction(x,y);
return 0;