C++ Primer, 3rd or 4th ?

Lycan. Mao..

Hello, I am a newbie in C++ and I'm in trouble in choosing books, I
hope some one who can give me some tips. I'm already know C and a
little about Scheme, C#, Python, Lua and so on, and now I want to use
C++. After reading parts of "Accelerated C++", I feel so good about it
(both the language and the book) and want to pick "C++ Primer" to have
a deeper look into C++. But you see, there are two "C++ Primer" --- the
3rd and the 4th. Of course, the 3rd is classic and thicker (1200+) and
the 4th is much more like the "Accelerated C++" (Thanks to Moo and
Koenig). What's more, 4th adds a lot new things while 3rd discuss much
about details about what compiler will do for you. I'd like to dive
into C++ and will read "Inside The C++ Object Model" later, so 3rd will
help.
Can anyone help me to decide which to buy? Thank you!

PS: Maybe both? It's hard, because I don't have so much money.

Guest

Hello, I am a newbie in C++ and I'm in trouble in choosing books, I
hope some one who can give me some tips. I'm already know C and a
little about Scheme, C#, Python, Lua and so on, and now I want to use
C++. After reading parts of "Accelerated C++", I feel so good about it
(both the language and the book) and want to pick "C++ Primer" to have
a deeper look into C++. But you see, there are two "C++ Primer" --- the
3rd and the 4th. Of course, the 3rd is classic and thicker (1200+) and
the 4th is much more like the "Accelerated C++" (Thanks to Moo and
Koenig). What's more, 4th adds a lot new things while 3rd discuss much
about details about what compiler will do for you. I'd like to dive
into C++ and will read "Inside The C++ Object Model" later, so 3rd will
help.
Can anyone help me to decide which to buy? Thank you!

I haven't read any of them but in general I'd go with the newest since
it will probably be more updated on modern C++ usage and such. It's
unusual to remove sections of a book if they are not deemed to be
outdated. Since I have not read them I don't know exactly what they
cover but you might want to consider The C++ Programming Language too,
it's aways been a good reference to me and since you've got some prior
experience it won't be too difficult.

arnuld

#1 : you know 'C'
#2: you already know a little about other programming languages

#3: you have read "Accelerated C++"
and want to pick "C++ Primer" to have
a deeper look into C++. But you see, there are two "C++ Primer" --- the
3rd and the 4th. Of course, the 3rd is classic and thicker (1200+) and
the 4th is much more like the "Accelerated C++" (Thanks to Moo and
Koenig). What's more, 4th adds a lot new things while 3rd discuss much
about details about what compiler will do for you. I'd like to dive
into C++ and will read "Inside The C++ Object Model" later, so 3rd will
help.
Can anyone help me to decide which to buy? Thank you!

yeah, sure ;-)

i hung on this question for long & had posted numerous posts on it.
you can search for my name in archives for a long answer, you should
also search for other posters on same question. see down here BTW, for
short answer.
PS: Maybe both? It's hard, because I don't have so much money.

#4: you don't have large sums of money, like me.

so i have collected these 4 points from your post. all of these point
to only one book:

"TC++PL" - Bjarne Stroustrup.

as per my experience "here" & at "moderated", no matter what book you
read, in the end you *will have to* read Stroustrup. i also carry a
copy of it, quite expensive, quite professional & practical book, very
clearly shows the signs that author is a Software Engineer ( i am not
talking of a degree, talking of *expertise*). better pick it up early
as you fulfill all the prerequisites for it, i don't :-(

it seems like you are interested in OOP. so go this way: OOA -> OOD ->
OOP

for OOA you can use: Rumbaugh or Booch, depending on your taste as
both are very different authors. if you dont like this go ahead & ask
"Lahman" on "comp.object".

i could have suggested other books but it will take a lot of time &
talent to explore Stroustrup.

Lycan. Mao..

Oh, thank you both very much, I think your answers are so important to
me.
First, I think I have considered the TC++PL, and considered it to be
one that I must buy. But you see, Bjarne Stroustrup's book is too hard
to me, I mean I don't think I can handle it right now, because Mr.
Rongyao, a Chinese C++ expert, has suggested that it's a book for
advanced C++ users. I hope to buy it because nobody can explain C++
more clearly than the inventor. I'll think about it, maybe I can have a
try to use it now.

I think I prefer the functional style (because I have spent a lot time
on it), but I value the OOP a lot too. Thank you for your advice.

As a student of mapping, we create systems like GPS and GIS. But as I
know, people around me use C-style C++ and no real OOP or Generic. I
hope by studying the real C++, I can learn a better way to develop huge
system.

Again, thank you too, especially arnuld. Good day!

Lycan. Mao.. said:
[...]

You can probably handle Stroustrup.

I had a C background and some OOP understanding from Visual Basic and
TurboC 3. Then learned C++ by reading Stroustrup, no problem... it
seemed the next logical step. I used it as a tutorial and reference.

arnuld

First, I think I have considered the TC++PL, and considered it to be
one that I must buy.

of course, you need to if you want to do real life modern c++
programming.
But you see, Bjarne Stroustrup's book is too hard
to me, I mean I don't think I can handle it right now, because Mr.
Rongyao, a Chinese C++ expert, has suggested that it's a book for
advanced C++ users. I hope to buy it because nobody can explain C++
more clearly than the inventor. I'll think about it, maybe I can have a
try to use it now.

what makes you think that you will understand Stroustrup the first time
u will read it. well, you can if you are a child-prodigy, i am not. i
am an average man. i understood Stroustrup at 8th reading and i think
that was normal. please read and *do* every programme on your computer,
i said *every*, i said every single programme. remember it

I think I prefer the functional style (because I have spent a lot time
on it), but I value the OOP a lot too. Thank you for your advice.

majority of newbies think so, i did think that functional\procedural
style comes naturlly to me and that shows unmaturity and i speak from
experience
As a student of mapping, we create systems like GPS and GIS. But as I
know, people around me use C-style C++ and no real OOP or Generic. I
hope by studying the real C++, I can learn a better way to develop huge
system.

first of all read :

1. C++ FAQ
2. Archives of newbie questions at comp.lang.c++ and
comp.lan.c++.moderated
Again, thank you too, especially arnuld. Good day!

Oh Thank you baby, bad night ;-)

Lycan. Mao..

I think you are right, I must read it till I understand it.
Ok, I'll go to the FAQ.
Thank you for your help.