    Regards,

    Shezad
    , Nov 21, 2008

  2. CCheng Guest

    to shezad.ps3,
    I think it's unnessary.These two book's have the same content,but the
    forth Edition looks more comfortable.
    thanks,
    ccheng
    CCheng, Nov 21, 2008

    On 21 Nov, 14:02, CCheng <> wrote:
    > to shezad.ps3,
    > I think it's unnessary.These two book's have the same content,but the
    > forth Edition looks more comfortable.
    > thanks,
    > ccheng

    Thank you very much ccheng :)

    Shezad
    , Nov 21, 2008
  4. <> wrote in message

    > I need to make my c++ knowldge deeper as it is, I've got the third
    > edition of the Lipman book but I have been told that the latest
    > revision is a tremendous improvement from the one I've got(but I don't
    > know if the meaning is that is much better organized or the content is
    > a lot better).

    The 4th edition is a complete rewrite. The two books are substantially
    different in content and dramatically different in style.
    Andrew Koenig, Nov 25, 2008
  5. amit Guest

    Just a small question to everyone:

    We read C++ primer during our college days and it used to put us of
    completely. We never understood C++ reading lipman
    Later on we got to know that this book should not be prescribed for
    beginners whoo do not know anything about C++.

    After our college days I have not touched lipman. I think I have the
    very fat edition (2nd edition probably).

    So,
    What is your frank opinion about C++ primer ? Would you guys consider
    it as a very good book for intermediate level guys ?
    If yes then I will go ahead and buy the latest edition of C++. I need
    to buy one hence the request.
    If you guys feel there is any other book which is very practicle and
    hands on. Kindly refer them as well.

    Sorry Shezad I just gatecrashed into your thread with my request.
    I felt it was relevent to the thread hence my message.

    Thanks guys.
    amit, Nov 26, 2008
  6. red floyd Guest

    amit wrote:
    > Just a small question to everyone:
    >
    > We read C++ primer during our college days and it used to put us of
    > completely. We never understood C++ reading lipman
    > Later on we got to know that this book should not be prescribed for
    > beginners whoo do not know anything about C++.
    >
    > After our college days I have not touched lipman. I think I have the
    > very fat edition (2nd edition probably).

    No, the 2nd edition was pre-Standard. Hell, it talked about templates
    as a future enhancement. Specifically, the 2nd edition was written to
    the AT&T 2.0 spec. Trust me. I still have my copy.

    The 3rd edition is huge and difficult to use as a primer. The 4th
    edition is also huge, but IMO is a much better primer than the 3rd
    edition.
    red floyd, Nov 26, 2008
  7. "amit" <> wrote in message

    > What is your frank opinion about C++ primer ? Would you guys consider
    > it as a very good book for intermediate level guys ?

    The 4th edition, yes.

    > If you guys feel there is any other book which is very practicle and
    > hands on. Kindly refer them as well.

    Accelerated C++, if I may be so bold as to recommend it.
    Andrew Koenig, Nov 28, 2008
  8. Wally Barnes Guest

    amit wrote:

    > Just a small question to everyone:
    >
    > What is your frank opinion about C++ primer ? Would you guys consider
    > it as a very good book for intermediate level guys ?

    I've always been partial to "How to Program C++" by Dietel & Dietel
    especially if you've had C exposure.

    -Wally
    Wally Barnes, Dec 2, 2008