C++ Primer 4th edition

shezad.ps3

Hi,

I need to make my c++ knowldge deeper as it is, I've got the third
edition of the Lipman book but I have been told that the latest
revision is a tremendous improvement from the one I've got(but I don't
know if the meaning is that is much better organized or the content is
a lot better).
Can please somebody suggest if it would be worth to buy the latest
revision or the third edition is still ok?

Regards,

Shezad

CCheng

to shezad.ps3,
I think it's unnessary.These two book's have the same content,but the
forth Edition looks more comfortable.
thanks,
ccheng

shezad.ps3

to shezad.ps3,
I think it's unnessary.These two book's have the same content,but the
forth Edition looks more comfortable.
thanks,
ccheng

Thank you very much ccheng :)

Shezad

Andrew Koenig

I need to make my c++ knowldge deeper as it is, I've got the third
edition of the Lipman book but I have been told that the latest
revision is a tremendous improvement from the one I've got(but I don't
know if the meaning is that is much better organized or the content is
a lot better).

The 4th edition is a complete rewrite. The two books are substantially
different in content and dramatically different in style.

amit

Just a small question to everyone:

We read C++ primer during our college days and it used to put us of
completely. We never understood C++ reading lipman
Later on we got to know that this book should not be prescribed for
beginners whoo do not know anything about C++.

After our college days I have not touched lipman. I think I have the
very fat edition (2nd edition probably).

So,
What is your frank opinion about C++ primer ? Would you guys consider
it as a very good book for intermediate level guys ?
If yes then I will go ahead and buy the latest edition of C++. I need
to buy one hence the request.
If you guys feel there is any other book which is very practicle and
hands on. Kindly refer them as well.

Sorry Shezad I just gatecrashed into your thread with my request.
I felt it was relevent to the thread hence my message.

Thanks guys.

red floyd

amit said:
Just a small question to everyone:

We read C++ primer during our college days and it used to put us of
completely. We never understood C++ reading lipman
Later on we got to know that this book should not be prescribed for
beginners whoo do not know anything about C++.

After our college days I have not touched lipman. I think I have the
very fat edition (2nd edition probably).

No, the 2nd edition was pre-Standard. Hell, it talked about templates
as a future enhancement. Specifically, the 2nd edition was written to
the AT&T 2.0 spec. Trust me. I still have my copy.

The 3rd edition is huge and difficult to use as a primer. The 4th
edition is also huge, but IMO is a much better primer than the 3rd
edition.

Andrew Koenig

What is your frank opinion about C++ primer ? Would you guys consider
it as a very good book for intermediate level guys ?

The 4th edition, yes.
If you guys feel there is any other book which is very practicle and
hands on. Kindly refer them as well.

Accelerated C++, if I may be so bold as to recommend it.

Wally Barnes

amit said:
Just a small question to everyone:

What is your frank opinion about C++ primer ? Would you guys consider
it as a very good book for intermediate level guys ?

I've always been partial to "How to Program C++" by Dietel & Dietel
especially if you've had C exposure.

-Wally