C call of a C# dll

Michael Anonymous

Eltee said:
All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I recommend that you ask this question in a C# newsgroup.
You'll probably have a better reception there.
The reason is simply because there are programmers here
that aren't programming for Microsoft Windows.
( FWIW, I really wish they had C platform specific newsgroups. )

Eltee

William said:
C# is hardly a "third party C library".

I meant the dll in the C code.

> Such a question might be answered if
the snippet clearly illustrated a mistake in the C syntax or misuse of a C
construct. Of course, it would help if the poster included an interface
definition of the library. But, as you can see, it quickly becomes a
slippery slope. Would you mind describing in a thousand pages or less C# for
the rest of us so we could answer your question(s)? I would hope you would
mind.

Nah. After everything I've read in here I don't think that would be a
good idea. However, I do think that you guys are smart enough to grasp
it after less than 1000 pages. After all, it's much less complicated than C.
Think before you step.

[thinking...]

Eltee

CBFalconer said:
Malcolm wrote:

... snip eltee annoyances ...

No, the question is actually "how do I call language x from
language y when running on system z",

You (that is I) forgot hardware alpha, electrons beta and universe
gamma. So I guess sci.physics would be in order, too. Maybe even
sci.psychiatry.

Eltee

Martin said:
False. Telling you this is not the place to ask is, except to the
terminal dense, telling you that you need to ask elsewhere.

You can't count. Only two messages were responses to your posts, and
those were to two different posts by you.
message 1) in response to your original off-topic question
message 2) in response to the person answering your off-topic
question with an off-topic answer. BTW, you might
consider whether you could trust his answer. He sent me
an email claiming not to be able to tell that you had
cross-posted to comp.lang.c. This suggests incompetence
on his part.
message 3) in response to your off-topic request that he expand on his
off-topic answer to your off-topic question.

Oh, yeah, silly me. Scaring Richard off before he could tell me more,
naturally doesn't count. My bad.

Eltee

CBFalconer said:
... snip ...

That's bad. Lacking reformation, we would prefer you go away and
harass someone else.

Eventually that's what I'll do, yes. But this harassment thing I don't
understand. How can a simple post be a harassment? It's not like I'm
flooding your mailbox with spam. It's you who decides to read my posts.
As you so smartly put it in one of the previous posts, you could
killfile me in a blink of an eye. And live happily ever after. Or just
ignore this particular thread. One thread, man. Instead you're trying to
split hairs. I admit, my post might have been misplaced but those are
hardly the responses I would expect.

Nevertheless, whether you believe it or not, compared to some other NGs
I'd ... "experienced" in my life ;-) , this is a very civilised
conversation. Seriously.

Lawrence Kirby

You (that is I) forgot hardware alpha, electrons beta and universe
gamma. So I guess sci.physics would be in order, too. Maybe even
sci.psychiatry.

Well, if MS decides to create different procedures for linking on
different hardware, that might be relevant. Beyond that you should be
looking for the most specific newsgroup where the question is topical.
sci.physics fails on both accounts.

Sometimes you just need to ask the right question, e.g. "I want to link C
code to C# code, does the C language provide any help for me?". The answer
happens to be "no" but you are still a step closer to solving your
problem. A lot this process can be simply narrowing down where to look.

Often applying a bit of thought can help. Given the nature of C and C#,
and the compilers you are using who is likely to provide a specification
of how to interoperate between them?

Lawrence

Mark McIntyre

Then, to avoid confusion, you should rename your (sic!) NG
comp.lang.pure.c, comp.lang.1990iso.c, comp.lang.1999iso.c or
comp.lang.kr.c. ;-)

We were here first, by about 20 years. If you want to discuss some other
topic, go create a group called comp.lang.cish-dialects. Or use one of the
already existing groups that are already devoted to platform specific
programming.
Otherwise guys like me will bother you with OT
questions all the time.

Only if you fail to follow nettiquette and don't lurk, read the FAQ and
welcome message before posting.
Seriously, would you "reject" some C-related
quesion only because the code snippet illustrating the problem used some
"third party" lib?

If the problem was due to or about how the 3rd party lib worked, yes.

Mark McIntyre

Welcome message? What? Where? How?

This is why nettiquette (you /did read news.newusers didn't you?) requires
you to LURK for a while. That way you'd have seen the regular welcome
message that's posted, along with the FAQ.

Mark McIntyre

I meant the dll in the C code.

But DLLs are a windows-specific construct, and nothing to do with C. You
can create them in pascal, C++, C#, VB, assembler etc etc. So asking about
them here is verging on the insane...

(of C#)
However, I do think that you guys are smart enough to grasp
it after less than 1000 pages.

Probably many of us programme in the blasted language. That doesn't mean we
want to talk about it here.
I also have a telescope, commute to London every day and collect the dried
skulls of cobol programmers and end-users who crossed me at budget time.
But I talk about those in more appropriate groups.

Mark McIntyre

Could be. Could be. Then again such problems can easily be solved. All
it takes is a little smile from the greengrocery attendant

Yes, and in general this is what happens - people say "offtopic, try
comp.unix.programming" or whatever.

But remember that it relies on the greengrocer knowing where a sock shop
is. Maybe he's from out of town. Maybe he directs you to a ladies hosiery
shop by mistake or for a laugh. Maybe in his town "socks" are a euphemism
for a marital aid. Maybe he's tired, hassled and grumpy.

Eltee

Mark said:
We were here first, by about 20 years.

20? Really? I thought the Great Renaming happened in 1987. Hm.
Only if you fail to follow nettiquette and don't lurk,

I can't afford to lurk. I need the info _now_. Yesterday, in fact.

Eltee

Lawrence said:
Those have nothing to do with C either.

Not in theory, no. But how can you live without them in the real world? I mean,
some orthodox biologist might say that pumping air into your lungs has nothing
to do with breathing, which, as we all know, happens at chemical level inside
your cells, but... BUT! ;-) If you're so strict in your understanding of the
"definition" of C then this whole c.l.c. business is just academic, right?

infobahn

Eltee said:
Not in theory, no. But how can you live without them in the real world?

Some people do in fact manage without them, but nobody would deny their
importance. Nevertheless, we don't discuss them here. That doesn't stop
us discussing them elsewhere, in newsgroups where such things are
topical.

Lawrence Kirby

Not in theory, no. But how can you live without them in the real world? I mean,
some orthodox biologist might say that pumping air into your lungs has nothing
to do with breathing, which, as we all know, happens at chemical level inside
your cells, but... BUT! ;-)

Do you mean breathing or respiration?
If you're so strict in your understanding of the
"definition" of C then this whole c.l.c. business is just academic, right?

The group is focussed, but that doesn't make it academic. A language like
C should allow me to write code that does something without
worrying about exactly what compiler I am using and other
implementation details. It can, and a great deal of useful code
can be written in that light. If you know what things you can rely on
irrespective of platform you are a long way to being able to program on
Windows, Unix, Macs, or a system you never heard of before but which has a
C compiler. You can argue that languages like Java take this further,
maybe C# could if it was implemented more widely. But C offers a lot in
that respect too.

Lawrence