C compiler and editor

marco.delvecchio

I downloaded the compiler C++ 5.5 from borland site... where can i find
an easy to use editor that can be integrated with this compiler?...
the last time i was programming in C was in 1993.. the editor and the
compiler were just one unique thing :)
Can anybody help me? thanks

Mitsteig

I downloaded the compiler C++ 5.5 from borland site... where can i find
an easy to use editor that can be integrated with this compiler?...
the last time i was programming in C was in 1993.. the editor and the
compiler were just one unique thing :)
Can anybody help me? thanks

try UltraEdit from UltraEdit.com

Simon Biber

I downloaded the compiler C++ 5.5 from borland site... where can i find
an easy to use editor that can be integrated with this compiler?...
the last time i was programming in C was in 1993.. the editor and the
compiler were just one unique thing :)
Can anybody help me? thanks

Just about any text editor will do, even the Notepad program supplied
with Windows. There are loads of "Programmer's Editors" available that
give you various levels of extra functionality. An indispensable feature
is "go to line", to jump straight to where a compiler error message is
pointing you. One feature I particularly like is syntax highlighting,
displaying keywords, functions, literals, and operators using different
colours. A good search/replace function is also very useful. In the past
I used the ConText editor though it was somewhat buggy. Nowadays I do
more programming on Linux with gedit (the Gnome Editor), and I tend to
stick with Notepad on Windows. When I'm stuck with a text interface, I
prefer vim.

Tom St Denis

I downloaded the compiler C++ 5.5 from borland site... where can i find
an easy to use editor that can be integrated with this compiler?...
the last time i was programming in C was in 1993.. the editor and the
compiler were just one unique thing :)
Can anybody help me? thanks

Honestly, do yourself a favour. Download cygwin and learn to use it.
The market needs more people who know portable development than windows
development [though you CAN write w32api programs with cygwin]. Cygwin
is free and includes the GNU tools you should be familiar such as vi,
cvs, coreutils [ls, rm, cp, etc], make, gcc, etc.

That said, if all you want to do is tinker in C then grab a copy of
Turbo C++ from the borland museum [if that's even still up]. It's an
old, 16-bit only ANSI C compiler but comes with that spiffy blue screen
IDE :)

Tom

Christopher Benson-Manica

I downloaded the compiler C++ 5.5 from borland site... where can i find
an easy to use editor that can be integrated with this compiler?...
the last time i was programming in C was in 1993.. the editor and the
compiler were just one unique thing :)

gvim for Windows seems to provide integration for bcc... Oops, you
said "easy to use" - sorry ;-)

(That's not totally accurate - it isn't a big job to use gvim as a
Notepad with syntax highlighting. If you don't know what syntax
highlighting is, you've been missing out.)

CBFalconer

Christopher said:
gvim for Windows seems to provide integration for bcc... Oops,
you said "easy to use" - sorry ;-)

(That's not totally accurate - it isn't a big job to use gvim as a
Notepad with syntax highlighting. If you don't know what syntax
highlighting is, you've been missing out.)

For windows use I recommend textpad, from textpad.com. Very
flexible. Also cheap, about $20 IIRC, but you can use the fully
operational demo indefinitely. The only annoyance is that they
will not accept Paypal, and that it doesn't port to Linux. Maybe
under wine?

jussij

I downloaded the compiler C++ 5.5 from borland site... where
can i find an easy to use editor that can be integrated with
this compiler?...

The Zeus for Windows IDE can be easily configure to run
this compiler:

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32
Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

Zeus does things like class browsing, code folding and
syntax highlighting, project workspaces etc etc. You can
also integrate the Borland help files:

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows IDE