C Containers library (ccl) project

jacob navia

Hi
The date of discussion of this is approaching (Oct 22th).

Please download the documentation, test the source code, see where
changes would be useful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

URL of the ccl project:

http://code.google.com/p/ccl

Adolph Hitler

jacob said:
Hi
The date of discussion of this is approaching (Oct 22th).

Nuh uh: Your presentation is approaching. There is no "discussion". Not in
the forum you suggest to be relevant. I don't wan't you to die. But if you
do, I won't care.
Please download the documentation, test the source code, see where
changes would be useful.

No one will do that, you are living in illusion. You are daring "authority",
by whatever thread , to "exalt you as <whatever>", ...... save you at the C
committed of standards? Dude, you will never be Thomas Jefferson.

YOU are doing a bad thing. You want someone to be bad. And of course you
cannot be bad, cuz you're "gettin out of this world easy".

No I don't feel responsible for you. But you want someone to do that, or pay
for that.

***
"It is not approaching". You don't have to do it. I have "a fear of public
speaking". You do not have to "present" anything. I remember my HS
"teacher", she was "wow", but was not, and I knew it, but wanted to "do the
right thing.

OK, ok.. an adolescent wants to know how I escaped from that?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Stop trying to make people feel guilty.

Jacob Naivete

Hello? I know you. You are going to... what? You gave ultimatum, hmm? You
want to hang YOUR personal problem on others. Don't you sass me, you
lil bitch, I am not your vehicle. You are you. And you are alone.
"they" lied to you? I have better things to do than babysit you. You
are a loose canon. That I notice that, does not in any way make me bad.
I am not bad. If you do bad, then you are bad.

That wasn't a question.

Malcolm McLean

בת×ריך ×™×•× ×©×‘×ª,22 בספטמבר 2012 09:41:35 UTC+1, מ×ת jacob navia:
Hi

The date of discussion of this is approaching (Oct 22th).

Please download the documentation, test the source code, see where

changes would be useful.
Rewrite this line:
Most of the list or hash tables modules can't be debugged completely and are the source of never ending problems.
Don't imply that everyone else is incompetent.

The portable specifications provide a common framework for library writers and compiler/system designers to build compatible yet strongly specialized implementations.

You need to say something about low level machine efficiency here.

The container library would replicate again that idea [iO], at a higher level.

Containers aren't really higher level than IO.

but if you read carefully

Too informal

To follow this sacred cow
Same thing. Avoid things other people might perceive as insulting.

A templated generic approach where at compile time a templated file is specialized for a concrete type by writing a parameter file where some macros are defined that are used by the templated file as arguments.

This is going to be a major stumbling block with the system.

Return 0 for OK, less than zero for error. Greater than zero for warnings, if
you must.Or explain why you can't keep to this convention (eg the return value
also represents the number of items in the container).

Erase - it seems the pointer points to a temporary value, and we erase all
elements that equal that value. But this isn't clear.

I'll post off now. I'll try to have a look at the rest later.

jacob navia

Le 24/09/12 11:34, Malcolm McLean a écrit :
בת×ריך ×™×•× ×©×‘×ª, 22 בספטמבר 2012 09:41:35 UTC+1, מ×ת jacob navia:
Rewrite this line:
Most of the list or hash tables modules can't be debugged

completely and are the source of never ending problems.
Don't imply that everyone else is incompetent.

No, it is not a matter of competenece it is a matter of debugging
situations that do not appear in the specific situation where this list
modules are written and appear much later when a new usage pattern is
added to the software.

For instance in my assembler, the is a list to add a symbol relocation
to the assembler, and in most cases it worked like a charm but one
client complained. She was adding thousands of relocations so scanning
the list was taking an awful ampunt of time. Adding a pointer to the
end of the list solved the problem. But it meant debugging that list
module you see?

It is not that I was incompetent at the time of writing that but that I
just didn't think that that list will be very big.

Most of the list modules do not have a pointer to the end of the list
so appending to it will be expensive.
The portable specifications provide a common framework for library writers

and compiler/system designers to build compatible yet strongly
specialized implementations.
You need to say something about low level machine efficiency here.

OK

The container library would replicate again that idea [iO], at a higher level.

Containers aren't really higher level than IO.

Well Malcolm, I disagree :)
but if you read carefully

Too informal

OK

To follow this sacred cow
Same thing. Avoid things other people might perceive as insulting.

OK. WIll erase that
A templated generic approach where at compile time a templated file

is specialized for a concrete type by writing a parameter file where

some macros are defined that are used by the templated file as arguments.
This is going to be a major stumbling block with the system.

Can you specify why?
Return 0 for OK, less than zero for error. Greater than zero for warnings, if
you must.Or explain why you can't keep to this convention (eg the return value
also represents the number of items in the container).

The problem is size_t

If you return the number of items the return value must be a size_t,
i.e. an unsigned value.

Now, if I want to return an unsigned int, I do not have negative values
as errors any more available!

So I have to return an int so that I return negative values as errors.
Now, if I return an int, in small systems where int is 16 bits, I can't
return values of the number of elements bigger than 32767... and that
could be a stumbling block in some implementations.

It is a difficult problem Malcolm.

Erase - it seems the pointer points to a temporary value, and we erase all
elements that equal that value. But this isn't clear.

OK WIll rewrite that doc
I'll post off now. I'll try to have a look at the rest later.

Thank you very much for your comments. I was afraid that this "Adolph
Hitler" troll would be the only answer to my post.

jacob

Malcolm McLean

בת×ריך ×™×•× ×©× ×™,24 בספטמבר 2012 14:51:55 UTC+1, מ×ת jacob navia:
Le 24/09/12 11:34, Malcolm McLean a écrit :

Can you specify why?
Because C is designed to be extended by providing a list of functions. People
include the header, and make calls to the library. If you've got to mess
about with parameter files, that's a new way of working. There are also issues
with "other people play nice". For example the Qt library requires a special
pre-processign step to make the slots and signals mechanism work. Qt is C++,
but if it were C, would the containers parameter file interact in undesireable
ways with the Qt pre-processing?
I'm not saying the parameter file is fatal to the idea. But it's a tough sell.

Malcolm McLean

בת×ריך ×™×•× ×©× ×™,24 בספטמבר 2012 14:51:55 UTC+1, מ×ת jacob navia:
Le 24/09/12 11:34, Malcolm McLean a écrit :

Thank you very much for your comments. I was afraid that this "Adolph
Hitler" troll would be the only answer to my post.
The name is very idiotic.

jacob navia

Le 24/09/12 19:45, Malcolm McLean a écrit :
בת×ריך ×™×•× ×©× ×™, 24 בספטמבר 2012 14:51:55 UTC+1, מ×ת jacob navia:
The name is very idiotic.

It is fascist, and this individual is a fascist!

But it has become such a "common" sport to distribute insults to me
that nobody cares here.

Agnos

jacob said:
Hi
The date of discussion of this is approaching (Oct 22th).

"this"? What is "this"? How is being lazy with request for help going to
help you?
Please download the documentation, test the source code, see where
changes would be useful.

$120/hr after $25000 retainer fee (just kidding, it actually would cost much
more or maybe it's not even for sale, so I guess you're just gonna have to
figure it out on your own).
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey, if you want/need charity, don't try to hide it in technological
bullshit. Who are you appealing to? Aren't you insulting the participants
here? There are at least a few "heavy hitters" here (OK, I just assume that,
and don't know that), and they let you hit on the babies like that?

There is still time to withdraw from the presentation. It would not mean
failure. Indeed, wouldn't it be great NOT to have to "present to the class"
when you know you need more time to find the answer? The thing is, this
isn't high school. It's the real world. What worries me is that you are
positioning this CCL thing as "this is it, then I'm done". I see your foray
into the area as a learning thing and you want to "get the gold medal" after
learning the basics, or something. Like the undergraduate who discovers soon
after graduation that she is not only not an expert after the 4 years of
matriculation, but that she is just at level 0 now. "The rude awakening".
It's not an age thing, I'm not calling you YOUNG. I UNDERSTAND your <> "to
be compensated". No one knows what you want. That you ask others to "help"
you, gets my dander up, because I am sensitized to that "I want something
for nothing" crap. That "I want something for nothing" crap, ... well don't
even get me started in this thread and you should be honing your
presentation. Has anyone seen your presentation? (that means, a peer, not
your wife!)?

Oh wait, if he retracts now, some burden is potentially on me, because "you
talked him into it"?

JN: NEVERMIND!! Is this exactly what that "crafty little devil" JN had in
mind? Did you?

I remember when I worked at a bank and I had "subordinates" and I gave a
similar "speech", and then, come Monday, I stood at the front of "the class"
and put forth my thoughts on matters. After I was done, giving my spiel, and
introducing "my subordinates", she gave her "spiel". I found myself "boss"
(with a lower-case 'B'). Touche, she knew something I did not. Yep, she was
competing with me. "All's fair in love and war", right? She had "paid her
dues", in the bank for maybe 20 years, it was surely her "turn". She had
detailed knowledge of banking, and had noticed that someone else who had
that had "risen to greatness" within the company. I was a new hire, new
little about banking (and many other things), but I was hired to <>... the
bank was taken over by another bank after she successfully got me out of
there (I was fired). I was hired to save someone's foray into software
development. I had actually interviewed to be on the development team years
earlier. It was revealing to see the outcome without me. It was crap. Just
like your CCL is crap. Been there, done that. No one really wants
consultants, they just want to be in business. Jacob, tell me, if I were to
offer you a job as a programmer at my company, would you take it? It's a yes
or no question. Why/why not?