    I am using Borland C++ Builder 5 and the debugger included with it. I am
    just learning C programming. The included debugger isn't much of a help to
    me. Where can I find a better debugger for C?

    infinity, Mar 15, 2005

  2. infinity

    jacob navia Guest

    infinity wrote:
    > I am using Borland C++ Builder 5 and the debugger included with it. I am
    > just learning C programming. The included debugger isn't much of a help to
    > me. Where can I find a better debugger for C?

    If you compile with borland there isn't any other since Borland's
    debug info format was never disclosed.

    If you compile with microsoft you can use theirs, it is a good one.
    http://www.msdn.com. Search for MSVC 20005.

    You can use also the gcc/Bloodshed compiler, but the debugger is not
    very advanced, and sometimes fails often with windows programs.
    http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

    The lcc-win32 features a compiler/debugger combination. The debugger
    has some bugs, but is usable. http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

    jacob

    jacob navia, Mar 15, 2005

  3. infinity

    Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:33:15 +0100, jacob navia <>
    wrote:
    >If you compile with borland there isn't any other since Borland's
    >debug info format was never disclosed.
    >
    >If you compile with microsoft you can use theirs, it is a good one.
    >http://www.msdn.com. Search for MSVC 20005.
    >
    >You can use also the gcc/Bloodshed compiler, but the debugger is not
    >very advanced, and sometimes fails often with windows programs.
    >http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
    >
    >The lcc-win32 features a compiler/debugger combination. The debugger
    >has some bugs, but is usable. http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

    Also there is Pelles-C which is mostly c99 compliant. The debugger is quite
    helpful, using standard COFF and Codeview formats. The IDE also includes a
    resource editor and several nice code editing tools.

    www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc

    If a free standing debugging tool is helpful the OP could try OllyDebug, a
    PE debugger that understands COFF and Codeview well enough to plow through
    most Win32 platform executables.

    http://home.t-online.de/home/Ollydbg/

    I use both and have very few grumbles about either.

    , Mar 15, 2005