C++ -- GUI Hang Stack Trace -- Help Needed

Discussion in 'C++' started by Saad, Aug 27, 2009.

  1. Saad

    Saad Guest

    Hi,

    I have an application written in VC6 which we have ported to VS 2005
    with old syntax. Earlier this app had gui based on unmanaged code, now
    in addition to that we also have some .Net GUI in it. Now I have
    following queries related to this app:-

    1) Sometimes the GUI hangs in release mode. Now during this hanged
    time i would like to somehow get the call stack of the gui thread to
    see where the thread is stuck? Is it possible to do that in c++?

    2) When the application crashes, i would like to get the call stack of
    the crash. Currently since the backend code is in unmanaged c++, im
    unable to get the call stack. How can i get call stack info in c++?
    Dump Files??

    Thanks in advance for the replies.

    Saad

    Saad, Aug 27, 2009

  2. Saad wrote:
    > I have an application written in VC6 which we have ported to VS 2005
    > with old syntax. Earlier this app had gui based on unmanaged code, now
    > in addition to that we also have some .Net GUI in it. Now I have
    > following queries related to this app:-
    >
    > 1) Sometimes the GUI hangs in release mode. Now during this hanged
    > time i would like to somehow get the call stack of the gui thread to
    > see where the thread is stuck? Is it possible to do that in c++?

    No.

    > 2) When the application crashes, i would like to get the call stack of
    > the crash. Currently since the backend code is in unmanaged c++, im
    > unable to get the call stack. How can i get call stack info in c++?

    There is no way.

    > Dump Files??

    If you don't care about files, dump them, of course.

    > Thanks in advance for the replies.

    Your question seems to be specific to Microsoft Visual C++ or Windows
    GUI programming. If that's so, please consider posting in their
    respective newsgroups. The list of the suggested newsgroups is in the FAQ.

    Debugger is your tool. Use it. Usually any running application can be
    suspended (paused) by the debugger, and when the thread is stopped, they
    usually can show you the call stack. It has nothing to do with C++,
    however.

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 27, 2009