C++ implementation of the Java Collections

Sideswipe

Ok, I am gonna say it, and I don't care if it starts a Flame war:
The STL sucks compared to the Java Collections framework!

That being said, has anyone decided to tackle an implementation of the
Collections framework in C++? If so, are there any pointers (pun not
intended) to those on the net.

Christian Bongiorno

Jeffrey Schwab

Sideswipe said:
Ok, I am gonna say it, and I don't care if it starts a Flame war:
The STL sucks compared to the Java Collections framework!

You're an idiot. :)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Sideswipe said:
Ok, I am gonna say it, and I don't care if it starts a Flame war:
The STL sucks compared to the Java Collections framework!

That being said, has anyone decided to tackle an implementation of the
Collections framework in C++? If so, are there any pointers (pun not
intended) to those on the net.

I do not think you can implement Java collection in C++.
At least not the old Object ones.

But other collections than STL has been implemented
like:

http://www.boost.org/libs/libraries.htm#Containers

Arne

Jeffrey Schwab

Mike said:
I think Jeffrey was (tongue in cheek) taking you up on your dare about a
flame war.

Right. Thanks for explaining. I disagree strongly with Christian's
claim, but I'm not actually trying to insult anyone, nor would I enjoy a
lengthy and largely OT debate about the relative merits of the STL and
Java Collections. :)

Christian: If you really believe "the STL sucks," compared to Java
Collections or anything else, you might want to spend some time in
comp.lang.c++.moderated. Whatever you're having trouble achieving can
probably be cleared up in short order.

Sideswipe

Well, I thought for sure that I would be safe posting that sorta thing
on the java groups -- can you imagine the heat I would have generated
in a c++ group? I think we could have achieved nuclear fusion!

I don't dare ask how to do something Javaesque in the C++ group -- the
last time I did that I simply was hated upon and never got my answer.
Perhaps if I don't phrase it as having anything to do with Java it
won't feel so threatening.

Christian

Jeffrey Schwab

Sideswipe said:
Well, I thought for sure that I would be safe posting that sorta thing
on the java groups -- can you imagine the heat I would have generated
in a c++ group? I think we could have achieved nuclear fusion!

I don't dare ask how to do something Javaesque in the C++ group -- the
last time I did that I simply was hated upon and never got my answer.
Perhaps if I don't phrase it as having anything to do with Java it
won't feel so threatening.

OK, never mind. I guess you already know everything you need to know.