C++ interview test

Ahmed Ossman

Hi all,
Does any one know internet sites that have a C++ exams which can be applied
on an interview?

As we make interview and need an exam to test the candidates !!

Thanks in advance,
Ahmed Ossman

Thomas Matthews

Ahmed said:
Hi all,
Does any one know internet sites that have a C++ exams which can be applied
on an interview?

As we make interview and need an exam to test the candidates !!

Thanks in advance,
Ahmed Ossman

There is more to programming than knowing the language.
One must also know data structures, a bit of design,
a a little knowledge about the application.

Use your favorite search engine and search this newsgroup
for "exam" or "test", although "test" may show up more
of those newsgroup test postings. Many online exams
have been reviewed here. I have yet to see one which
everybody agrees is valid.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Claudio Puviani

Ahmed Ossman said:
Hi all,
Does any one know internet sites that have a C++ exams which can be applied
on an interview?

As we make interview and need an exam to test the candidates !!

If you find one, keep in mind that failing such a test may eliminate a
candidate, but passing the test is no indication that the candidate is
qualified. It's like asking what 2+2 is. If someone says 5, you can safely
eliminate them, but someone who answers 4 isn't automatically a mathematician.

Claudio Puviani

jeffc

Ahmed Ossman said:
Hi all,
Does any one know internet sites that have a C++ exams which can be applied
on an interview?

As we make interview and need an exam to test the candidates !!

There's a good book called "programming interviews exposed" or something to
that effect that is very good.

lilburne

Ahmed said:
Hi all,
Does any one know internet sites that have a C++ exams which can be applied
on an interview?

As we make interview and need an exam to test the candidates !!

What are you trying to test?

We have a test to write a class, which we send to candidates
prior to interview, and ask them to bring their answer with
them. The actual code for the class can be written in about
30 lines. We also ask them to provide a test for the class.
About 70% of candidates cry off the interview claiming it is
too difficult. For those that do turn up we use their test
as the basis for the main part of the interview.

Chuck Rittersdorf

I went to an interview where they expected me to design an iterator class
for a vector like class, but with pencil and paper and no reference in 30 minutes.

Claudio Puviani

Chuck Rittersdorf said:
I went to an interview where they expected me to design an iterator class
for a vector like class, but with pencil and paper and no reference in 30
minutes.

That's a perfectly appropriate interview question. Other similar programming
problems you're likely to encounter in an interview are designing a string class
or a smart pointer, implementing a factory pattern, and many others. They're
hiring programmers, dude. It's normal that they'd expect the candidates to know
how to program.

Claudio Puviani