C++ on Windows-XP

Mark P

What is a good and cheap way to get C++ (and OpenGL) development on
Windows-XP?

visual c++ express is free and good
dev-c++ is also free, though I find the IDE unpolished compared to VC++
I don't do OpenGL so I can't offer any advice on that aspect

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
What is a good and cheap way to get C++ (and OpenGL) development on
Windows-XP?

Install a free C++ compiler and a free OpenGL library for the OS.

benben

I don't do OpenGL so I can't offer any advice on that aspect

Download and install the platform sdk and it's got the relevant opengl
headers and libs in it.

Download glut and whatever extension from the net. Do a google search.

Regards,
Ben

Whywhat

If you want to use OpenGL deeply, you shouldn'r use Visual Studio as
Microsoft supports OpenGL up to version 1.4 only. (though it has
DirectX :))

So try any free compiler with corresponding library. MinGW is a GCC
version for Windows. There are some IDEs for it like Dev C++ or Visual
MinGW (release is not available yet).

Whywhat

If you want to use OpenGL deeply, you shouldn'r use Visual Studio as
Microsoft supports OpenGL up to version 1.4 only. (though it has
DirectX :))

So try any free compiler with corresponding library. MinGW is a GCC
version for Windows. There are some IDEs for it like Dev C++ or Visual
MinGW (release is not available yet).

Ben Pope

Whywhat said:
If you want to use OpenGL deeply, you shouldn'r use Visual Studio as
Microsoft supports OpenGL up to version 1.4 only. (though it has
DirectX :))

Nothing in Visual Studio prevents you from using external libraries,
such as an OpenGL library.
So try any free compiler with corresponding library. MinGW is a GCC
version for Windows. There are some IDEs for it like Dev C++ or Visual
MinGW (release is not available yet).

....or use that same library with your compiler and IDE of choice.

Ben Pope

Whywhat

There I've found only a pair of header files and some C file from Intel
with wrappers to some OpenGL extensions.

Either I'm blind or it is absent indeed. :) Let me know, if you find,
please. I really want it.

BobR

Whywhat wrote in message
There I've found only a pair of header files and some C file from Intel
with wrappers to some OpenGL extensions.

Either I'm blind or it is absent indeed. :) Let me know, if you find,
please. I really want it.

Hmmm. Go for the source?

"Mesa" is OpenGL without the OpenGL license.
http://www.mesa3d.org/

Another spot to check [OpenGL was orig. SGI lib.]:
http://oss.sgi.com/

Other than that, you'll have to ask on the OpenGL NG:

See if this FAQ is still there [download]:
ftp://ftp.frii.com/pub/martz/outgoing/oglfaq.zip

benben

Whywhat said:
Not source, but lib files.

Thank you very much for links :)

All you need is those headers. You will use the same lib files provided
by Platform SDK. Those lib files are export libraries so they can link
to a particular opengl DLL provided by your graphic card vendor instead
of the (vary lame) one shipped with windows.

Regards,
Ben