    port. The data is stored in the PC in plain text.

    Can C++ and USB2 port satisfy my requirement?

    Thanks.

    Sea Squid, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Sea Squid

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Sea Squid wrote:

    > My task is to write a C++ program to satisfy these requirements.
    >
    > I have an embedded board which is supposed to output 2 channels of
    > 10-bit, 40MHz datastreams. My board has an ARM cpu and an USB2
    > port. The data is stored in the PC in plain text.
    >
    > Can C++ and USB2 port satisfy my requirement?

    Well, C++ doesn't have something like a maximum data rate. It entirely
    depends on the system and the optimization capabilities of your compiler.
    IIRC, USB2 has a theoretical maximum data rate of 480Mbit/s, which is the
    same as 60MBytes/s. I don't know which rate can be realistically achieved,
    but one single USB2 port won't be enough for all your data.
    Anyway, you should rather ask this in a newsgroup about embedded systems,
    since it doesn't have anything to do with the C++ language (the topic of
    this newsgroup).

    Rolf Magnus, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Sea Squid

    Taras Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:42:24 +0100, Rolf Magnus <>
    wrote:

    > Sea Squid wrote:
    >
    >> My task is to write a C++ program to satisfy these requirements.
    >>
    >> I have an embedded board which is supposed to output 2 channels of
    >> 10-bit, 40MHz datastreams. My board has an ARM cpu and an USB2
    >> port. The data is stored in the PC in plain text.
    >>
    >> Can C++ and USB2 port satisfy my requirement?

    > Well, C++ doesn't have something like a maximum data rate. It entirely
    > depends on the system and the optimization capabilities of your compiler.
    > IIRC, USB2 has a theoretical maximum data rate of 480Mbit/s, which is the
    > same as 60MBytes/s. I don't know which rate can be realistically
    > achieved,
    > but one single USB2 port won't be enough for all your data.
    > Anyway, you should rather ask this in a newsgroup about embedded systems,
    > since it doesn't have anything to do with the C++ language (the topic of
    > this newsgroup).

    little remark: besides the speed of your USB2 port you must have
    suitable speed of your whole system! (if your data are on the
    hard drive it has to read with such a speed)

    Taras, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Sea Squid

    Sea Squid Guest

    Thank you Taras and Rolf.

    I am looking into logic analyzers which might solve my problem. Your replies
    has cleared my doubts.

    Sea Squid, Mar 17, 2005