C++ program to perform extensive data IO task, 160MB/s.

Sea Squid

My task is to write a C++ program to satisfy these requirements.

I have an embedded board which is supposed to output 2 channels of
10-bit, 40MHz datastreams. My board has an ARM cpu and an USB2
port. The data is stored in the PC in plain text.

Can C++ and USB2 port satisfy my requirement?

Thanks.

Rolf Magnus

Sea said:
My task is to write a C++ program to satisfy these requirements.

I have an embedded board which is supposed to output 2 channels of
10-bit, 40MHz datastreams. My board has an ARM cpu and an USB2
port. The data is stored in the PC in plain text.

Can C++ and USB2 port satisfy my requirement?

Well, C++ doesn't have something like a maximum data rate. It entirely
depends on the system and the optimization capabilities of your compiler.
IIRC, USB2 has a theoretical maximum data rate of 480Mbit/s, which is the
same as 60MBytes/s. I don't know which rate can be realistically achieved,
but one single USB2 port won't be enough for all your data.
Anyway, you should rather ask this in a newsgroup about embedded systems,
since it doesn't have anything to do with the C++ language (the topic of
this newsgroup).

Taras

Well, C++ doesn't have something like a maximum data rate. It entirely
depends on the system and the optimization capabilities of your compiler.
IIRC, USB2 has a theoretical maximum data rate of 480Mbit/s, which is the
same as 60MBytes/s. I don't know which rate can be realistically
achieved,
but one single USB2 port won't be enough for all your data.
Anyway, you should rather ask this in a newsgroup about embedded systems,
since it doesn't have anything to do with the C++ language (the topic of
this newsgroup).

little remark: besides the speed of your USB2 port you must have
suitable speed of your whole system! (if your data are on the
hard drive it has to read with such a speed)

Sea Squid

Thank you Taras and Rolf.

I am looking into logic analyzers which might solve my problem. Your replies
has cleared my doubts.