C programming newsgroup

Zach Shutters

What newsgroup can you guys recommend for me that talks about programming in
c/c++ that is as active as this one?

Anthony McDonald

Zach Shutters said:
What newsgroup can you guys recommend for me that talks about programming
in c/c++ that is as active as this one?

comp.lang.c is a fairly well respected newsgroup for C. I should warn you
that they only deal with C as defined by the ANSI standard. For compiler
extensions or system specific functions you'll need to search a little
harder.

I haven't been on comp.lang.c++ for a while, but they also have a some nice
knowledgable people who are happy to answer question except again when the
topic drifts to far into a compiler extensions or system specific features.

Anthony McDonald

Grant Edwards

What newsgroup can you guys recommend for me that talks about programming
in c/c++ that is as active as this one?

comp.lang.c is a fairly well respected newsgroup for C.
[...]

I haven't been on comp.lang.c++ for a while, but they also have a some nice
knowledgable people[...]

Also be warned that C and C++ are two separate, different
languages. Referring to "C/C++" as if it's a single language
will start you off with the wrong reputation in those two
newsgroups.

Cameron Laird

What newsgroup can you guys recommend for me that talks about programming
in c/c++ that is as active as this one?

comp.lang.c is a fairly well respected newsgroup for C.
[...]

I haven't been on comp.lang.c++ for a while, but they also have a some nice
knowledgable people[...]

Also be warned that C and C++ are two separate, different
languages. Referring to "C/C++" as if it's a single language
will start you off with the wrong reputation in those two
newsgroups.
.
.
.
.... and their activity tends to find harsher expression than in
clp; hereabouts, saying that, for example, "Python is just like
Pascal" generally elicits mild curiousity, while even *mention*
of "C/C++" seems capable of inciting lawsuits over there.

Scott David Daniels

Cameron said:
... even *mention* > of "C/C++" seems capable of inciting lawsuits over there.

I couldn't pass this up:

Generally the answer is 1 for integer types and 1.0 for floating point
types. However, you can run into troubles dividing by 0.

{ int C = 5; printf('int: C/C++ = %d', C/C++); }
{ double C = 3.1415; printf('double: C/C++ = %d', C/C++); }

Dan Sommers

Cameron Laird wrote:
I couldn't pass this up:
Generally the answer is 1 for integer types and 1.0 for floating point
types. However, you can run into troubles dividing by 0.
{ int C = 5; printf('int: C/C++ = %d', C/C++); }
{ double C = 3.1415; printf('double: C/C++ = %d', C/C++); }

I'm pretty sure that "C/C++" invokes the dreaded Undefined Behavior, so
all bets are off. The folks in comp.std.c will have more details.

Regards,
Dan