Discussion in 'C Programming' started by tsandeeppatil@gmail.com, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I want some information regarding pointers
    , Feb 13, 2008

  2. Mark Bluemel Guest

    wrote:
    > I want some information regarding pointers

    They point at things. Does that help?

    What texts have you studied? What don't you understand of what you have
    read?
    Mark Bluemel, Feb 13, 2008

  3. Martin Guest

    On Feb 13, 11:23 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I want some information regarding pointers

    I found Kernighan & Ritchie's "The C Programming Language" invaluable
    for information about pointers, especially Chapter 5.

    --
    Martin
    Martin, Feb 13, 2008
  4. <> wrote in message news:
    >I want some information regarding pointers

    To a first approximation pointers are C. They are variables that hold memory
    addresses and thus allow C program direct access to underlying memory. This
    has huge advantages as well as huge disadvantages.

    Any C primer will contain material on pointers, and there is no point
    replicating it here.

    --
    Free games and programming goodies.
    http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm
    Malcolm McLean, Feb 13, 2008
  5. santosh Guest

    wrote:

    > I want some information regarding pointers

    You can find them in any textbook for C. A good one is The C Programming
    Language by Kernighan & Ritchie. Also there are others like C
    Programming: A Modern Approach by K.N. King, Algorithms in C by
    Sedgewick, C: A Reference Manual by Harbison & Steele and others.

    Two good online tutorials are:

    <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/cclass.html>
    <http://cprog.tomsweb.net/>
    santosh, Feb 13, 2008
  6. santosh Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:

    > <> wrote in message news:
    >>I want some information regarding pointers
    >>

    > To a first approximation pointers are C. [ ... ]

    What is this statement to mean?
    santosh, Feb 13, 2008
  7. "santosh" <> wrote in message news
    > Malcolm McLean wrote:
    >

    >> <> wrote in message news:
    >>>I want some information regarding pointers
    >>>

    >> To a first approximation pointers are C. [ ... ]

    > What is this statement to mean?

    C is the language that uses pointers to allow for direct memory access.

    In the same way as we might say that biochemistry is the study of proteins
    and the reactions they catalyse, or biology is the study of evolution. Or
    Microsoft is the company that produces Windows and associated products. Or
    the United States is a federation of territories in the southern half of the
    North American continent.

    In all cases it is something of a simplification, but it reveals the
    important truth.

    Malcolm McLean, Feb 13, 2008
  8. CBFalconer Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > "santosh" <> wrote:
    >> Malcolm McLean wrote:

    >>> To a first approximation pointers are C. [ ... ]

    >> What is this statement to mean?

    > C is the language that uses pointers to allow for direct
    > memory access.

    So do practically all languages. The variations are in user
    accessibility, usage, visibility, etc.

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Feb 13, 2008
  9. "tsandeeppatil" demanded:

    > I want some information regarding pointers

    Besides the obvious step of reading a good book (several
    here pointed you to K&R's "The C Programming Language",
    which is an excellent place to start), did you consider
    googling? I googled "C pointers" and got these nifty hits:

    http://home.netcom.com/~tjensen/ptr/ch1x.htm
    http://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/chapter5/pointers.html
    http://www.openismus.com/documents/cplusplus/cpointers.shtml
    http://www.sysprog.net/cpointer.html