Mark Bluemel

I want some information regarding pointers

They point at things. Does that help?

What texts have you studied? What don't you understand of what you have
read?

Martin

I want some information regarding pointers

I found Kernighan & Ritchie's "The C Programming Language" invaluable
for information about pointers, especially Chapter 5.

Malcolm McLean

I want some information regarding pointers
To a first approximation pointers are C. They are variables that hold memory
addresses and thus allow C program direct access to underlying memory. This
has huge advantages as well as huge disadvantages.

Any C primer will contain material on pointers, and there is no point
replicating it here.

Malcolm McLean

santosh said:
Malcolm said:
I want some information regarding pointers
To a first approximation pointers are C. [ ... ]

What is this statement to mean?
C is the language that uses pointers to allow for direct memory access.

In the same way as we might say that biochemistry is the study of proteins
and the reactions they catalyse, or biology is the study of evolution. Or
Microsoft is the company that produces Windows and associated products. Or
the United States is a federation of territories in the southern half of the
North American continent.

In all cases it is something of a simplification, but it reveals the
important truth.

CBFalconer

Malcolm said:
santosh said:
Malcolm said:
I want some information regarding pointers

To a first approximation pointers are C. [ ... ]

What is this statement to mean?

C is the language that uses pointers to allow for direct
memory access.

So do practically all languages. The variations are in user
accessibility, usage, visibility, etc.

Robbie Hatley

"tsandeeppatil" demanded:
I want some information regarding pointers

Besides the obvious step of reading a good book (several
here pointed you to K&R's "The C Programming Language",
which is an excellent place to start), did you consider
googling? I googled "C pointers" and got these nifty hits:

http://home.netcom.com/~tjensen/ptr/ch1x.htm
http://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book/chapter5/pointers.html
http://www.openismus.com/documents/cplusplus/cpointers.shtml
http://www.sysprog.net/cpointer.html