C99 library part of C++ TR1

albert.neu

Hello!

The C99 library is part of C++ TR1.

From: http://www.dinkumware.com/tr1.aspx
comes this information:
[TR1 includes the] "C99 library, including all the numerous functions
added to the C Standard with C99, properly blended into

the C++ environment".

This is interesting, since it means that if C++ compilers adapt to
TR1, C programmers can effectively use the entire C99 (with those TR1-
compliant compilers), without any problems!

And that C99 code, can then interface nicely with C++ TR1, including
all the C++ constructs (that are not part of C99)
I wonder if C99 is really 100% a subset of C++ TR1.?

(But ahh...
A standard, especially a new one is very different from the "de facto"
standard of many people in industry.)

Kind regards,
Albert

Some Interesting docs:

Proposed additions to TR-1 to improve compatibility with C99 (P.J.
Plauger)
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2003/n1503.txt

Draft Technical Report on C++ Library Extensions (C++ TR1 as far as I
can see...)
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1836.pdf#page=167

C99 Standard(Committee Draft 2005 - ISO/IEC 9899:TC2)

"The New C Standard: A Cultural and Economic Commentary" by Derek M.
Jones
http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/cbook.html

P.J. Plauger

The C99 library is part of C++ TR1.

From: http://www.dinkumware.com/tr1.aspx
comes this information:
[TR1 includes the] "C99 library, including all the numerous functions
added to the C Standard with C99, properly blended into

the C++ environment".

This is interesting, since it means that if C++ compilers adapt to
TR1, C programmers can effectively use the entire C99 (with those TR1-
compliant compilers), without any problems!

The C++ committee has already voted to include all the C99 additions
from TR1 (which is essentially the entire C99 library) in the next
revision of Standard C++, a.k.a. C++0X.
And that C99 code, can then interface nicely with C++ TR1, including
all the C++ constructs (that are not part of C99)
I wonder if C99 is really 100% a subset of C++ TR1.?

The library perhaps, but not the language. I seriously doubt that
variable length arrays or complex arithmetic will be added to the
Standard C++ language. (There are different, and arguably better,
ways to do both already in C++.) Note, however, that the C99 and
C++ preprocessors have already been reconciled for C++0X.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com

Servé Laurijssen

P.J. Plauger said:
The library perhaps, but not the language. I seriously doubt that
variable length arrays or complex arithmetic will be added to the
Standard C++ language. (There are different, and arguably better,
ways to do both already in C++.)

Indeed arguably, VLA's are IMO the best way to get running programs on *ALL*
platforms. But "the C++ ways" are probably better suited for platforms with
less restrictive performance needs.