Caching of COM Port Information

alisonkakoschke

I am currently having a problem where java does not seem to be picking
up changes in COM ports. I'm using an edgeport that allows me to
dynamically add COM ports to my machine ie. I can attach it to a COM
port on my machine and it provides me with two COM ports rather than
one.

This all works fine if I have the edgeport connected when the machine
is started, however, if it is added afterwards, the software cannot
pick up the new COM ports unless the machine is rebooted.

Does anyone know if this sort of information is cached when the Java
Virtual Machine is started (our software is running in a VM that starts
when the machine performs a re-boot). Are there any options that can
be set on the VM to stop this from occurring?

Thanks in advance,

Alison Kakoschke

Knute Johnson

I am currently having a problem where java does not seem to be picking
up changes in COM ports. I'm using an edgeport that allows me to
dynamically add COM ports to my machine ie. I can attach it to a COM
port on my machine and it provides me with two COM ports rather than
one.

This all works fine if I have the edgeport connected when the machine
is started, however, if it is added afterwards, the software cannot
pick up the new COM ports unless the machine is rebooted.

Does anyone know if this sort of information is cached when the Java
Virtual Machine is started (our software is running in a VM that starts
when the machine performs a re-boot). Are there any options that can
be set on the VM to stop this from occurring?

Thanks in advance,

Alison Kakoschke

If I had to guess I would say that your driver for your device needs the
reboot to find its hardware.