    parameters, something like:

    Anybody knows how to do it?

    Thanks.

    Mario Ruiz, Mar 24, 2010

    Not too sure what you are trying to do here. The fact that you are invoking
    against your local system is a bit weird, and I dont think that is workable.
    Might work for locally loaded Javascript, but not in a HREF.

    If you are hitting a server, this can be made to work, as CGI (similar to
    how
    you would invoke against a PHP script), but CGI is not a popular way to
    run Ruby web apps, and it is very poorly documented in general (its eclipsed
    by all the other methods).

    Again, your parameters would have to be appropriate for a query string, you
    couldn't
    rely on passing them in as command line arguments.

    For isntance:

    http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

    Richard Conroy, Mar 24, 2010

  3. Mario Ruiz

    Mario Ruiz Guest

    What I'm trying to do is to call a ruby script that admits parameters.
    This program is going to be run locally.
    The problem is no parameters are taken since the explorers try to
    download the file instead of running the file.

    Another way to solve this would be to run directly the code on the
    page... is that possible?

    Thanks

    Mario Ruiz, Mar 24, 2010

    On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Richard Conroy
    <>wrote:

    > Not too sure what you are trying to do here. The fact that you are invoking
    > against your local system is a bit weird, and I dont think that is
    > workable.
    > Might work for locally loaded Javascript, but not in a HREF.
    >
    > If you are hitting a server, this can be made to work, as CGI (similar to
    > how
    > you would invoke against a PHP script), but CGI is not a popular way to
    > run Ruby web apps, and it is very poorly documented in general (its
    > eclipsed
    > by all the other methods).
    >
    > Again, your parameters would have to be appropriate for a query string, you
    > couldn't
    > rely on passing them in as command line arguments.
    >
    > For isntance:

    > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Mario Ruiz <> wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to call a ruby script from a html page passing a few
    > > parameters, something like:
    > >
    > > Anybody knows how to do it?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > --

    > http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

    If the ruby script doesn't rely on being run on the server, you could try
    HotRuby: http://hotruby.yukoba.jp/

    Mario Antonetti, Mar 24, 2010
  5. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Mario Ruiz <> wrote:

    > What I'm trying to do is to call a ruby script that admits parameters.
    > This program is going to be run locally.
    > The problem is no parameters are taken since the explorers try to
    > download the file instead of running the file.
    >
    > Another way to solve this would be to run directly the code on the
    > page... is that possible?

    There are a couple of exotic ways to run ruby in your browser. All of them
    work like
    Java applets.

    You can Jar up your ruby code with JRuby, and you might be able to locally
    invoke on
    it that way.

    A similar method works for IronRuby, to get your Ruby code inside a
    silverlight applet.

    --
    http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

    Richard Conroy, Mar 24, 2010
  6. Mario Ruiz

    Mario Ruiz Guest

    Mario Ruiz, Mar 24, 2010
  7. Mario Ruiz

    Martin Boese Guest

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 02:05:10 +0900
    Mario Ruiz <> wrote:

    > What I'm trying to do is to call a ruby script that admits
    > parameters. This program is going to be run locally.
    > The problem is no parameters are taken since the explorers try to
    > download the file instead of running the file.
    >
    > Another way to solve this would be to run directly the code on the
    > page... is that possible?
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't know of any browser what would execute the file, even if
    the page was loaded locally....

    But running a small local webserver will work. Ruby the code below and
    then link to http://localhost:4000/run .

    require 'webrick'

    class RunScript < WEBrick::HTTPServlet::AbstractServlet
    def do_GET(req, res)
    system("c:/myS/search.rb param1 param2")
    res.status = 200
    res['Content-Type'] = 'text/html'
    res.body = "<h1>Running Program</h1>"
    end
    end

    server = WEBrick::HTTPServer.new:)Port => 4000)
    server.mount("/run", RunScript)

    trap("INT"){ server.shutdown }
    server.start

    Martin Boese, Mar 24, 2010