    needs to display a drop down list when checked. The drop down list is
    populated by a function in a dll that is registered in my project. How
    do I call this function in javascript?

    Cathryn Lindner, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Cathryn Lindner

    W d'Anjos Guest

    Cathryn,

    JavaScript can't (and shouldn't) call DLLs due to security issues.

    You should be looking for a server side solution, ie: ASP, JSP, PHP, CGI, etc.

    -Wagner

    W d'Anjos, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Hi,

    W d'Anjos wrote:

    > Cathryn,
    >
    > JavaScript can't (and shouldn't) call DLLs due to security issues.

    JavaScript is just a language. It can (and should) do what the platform
    allows.

    Client-side JavaScript can very well instantiate ActiveX DLLs in
    platforms allowing it (IE) and in relaxed security environments. There
    is nothing wrong with that.

    Of course, if the OP was a bit more explicit about her environment, it
    would help. I suspect that she is talking about a server-side solution
    anyway, but it's hard to be sure.

    > You should be looking for a server side solution, ie: ASP, JSP, PHP, CGI, etc.
    >
    > -Wagner

    Maybe she already is. Don't accept "client-side" when you hear "JavaScript".

    Because, yes, JavaScript is not only used on the client. It's also my
    language of choice on ASP.

    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft
    Webdesign, Java, JavaScript: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Cathryn Lindner

    Mark Preston Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:52:31 +0100, "Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft"
    <galasoft-LB@bluewin_NO_SPAM.ch> wrote:

    >W d'Anjos wrote:
    >
    >> JavaScript can't (and shouldn't) call DLLs due to security issues.

    >JavaScript is just a language. It can (and should) do what the platform
    >allows.

    Which would be fine, except its platform is EXPLICITLY "any computer
    system using the Javascript process engine". In other words, it has to
    rely on an use NONE of the OS-specific or hardware-specific features
    of ANY particular system.

    Hence it cannot and SHOULD NOT be able to use a DLL under Windows.

    >Client-side JavaScript can very well instantiate ActiveX DLLs in
    >platforms allowing it (IE) and in relaxed security environments. There
    >is nothing wrong with that.

    That is a feature of the IE version of the Javascript engine. It
    happens also to be allowed on the Mozilla engine (whose name I can't
    recall offhand, but has something to do with monkeys) so is available
    in Netscape, Mozilla, Firebird and so on.

    Provided, of course, they are running on Windows. It is an ADDED
    feature and not a STANDARD feature - and indeed has been the cause of
    much argument during development since, strictly speaking, it should
    not be allowed but has very good uses for compatibility.

    Mark Preston, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Mark Preston <> writes:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:52:31 +0100, "Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft"
    > <galasoft-LB@bluewin_NO_SPAM.ch> wrote:

    > >JavaScript is just a language. It can (and should) do what the platform
    > >allows.

    > Which would be fine, except its platform is EXPLICITLY "any computer
    > system using the Javascript process engine".

    *The* Javascript process engine?!?
    And where is this explicit quote from?

    Can you tell me what the name "Javascript" covers? Please be precise.

    (Me, I vote for "Javascript" meaning what Netscape Corp. says it
    means. All other implementations of ECMAScript+DOM are at best
    "Javascript compatible", only they won't call it that in front of an
    end user.)

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Cathryn Lindner

    Jim Ley Guest

    On 29 Oct 2003 15:31:43 +0100, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
    <> wrote:

    >(Me, I vote for "Javascript" meaning what Netscape Corp. says it
    >means.

    They're only licensees of the trademark though, and they are very
    careful to only use JavaScript. They also do not complain about uses
    of the word to describe other implementations (including microsoft
    support site often and I can't believe they'd let that one go)

    > All other implementations of ECMAScript+DOM are at best
    >"Javascript compatible", only they won't call it that in front of an
    >end user.

    I'd say javascript is any ECMAScript implementation - and
    implementations that preceeded it.

    Jim.

    Jim Ley, Oct 29, 2003
  7. (Jim Ley) writes:

    > I'd say javascript is any ECMAScript implementation - and
    > implementations that preceeded it.

    That is one, reasonable, definition.

    With that definition, there is nothing explicitly preventing a
    Javascript implementation from accessing Windows DLL files :)

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Oct 29, 2003