Calling a windows application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Miguel Ramirez, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. Anyone knows how to call a windows application inside ASP.Net code?

    Regards,
    Miguel Ramirez, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Miguel,

    Do you mean on the server or the client machine? If you mean on the client
    machine you'd have to have an active x control or it's like installed on the
    client.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Thank you Justin,

    I am not sure which is better from server or from client. I tried the shell
    command but runs the application in a background mode, I am not able to see
    the application, only in the task manager where I need to close it.

    mensaje news:...

    Miguel Ramirez, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Miguel Ramirez

    Mr Newbie Guest

    If you want to launch a windows application on the server you can use

    Diagnostics.Process.Start( . . . . . .

    --
    Best Regards

    The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º

    Mr Newbie, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Miguel Ramirez

    Bruce Barker Guest

    processes started from asp.net (or any service) will not have access to the
    desktop, so they are not able to open a window, thus they are always a
    background task.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Thanks Mr. Newbie,

    It works but the application is not visible.
    How can I make it visible?

    Regards,

    Miguel Ramirez, Nov 4, 2005
  7. Thanks Bruce,

    This is not good news,
    Anyway I can make it visible?

    Miguel Ramirez, Nov 4, 2005
  8. You *can* make it visible...but only on the server.

    The client will never be able to see it.

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 4, 2005
  9. Miguel Ramirez

    Bruce Barker Guest

    yes. write a new windows service that runs as the local system account, and
    in the settings for the service, allow interaction with the desktop. have
    the service use .net remoting to listen for a start program request. have
    your asp page call the service to do the startup.

    note: as the webservice and service run even when noone is logged on the
    webserver, they can not create a desktop in this case. you must be sure
    someone has logged on the webserver for the window to appear.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Nov 4, 2005