Calling a windows application

Miguel Ramirez

Anyone knows how to call a windows application inside ASP.Net code?

Regards,

S. Justin Gengo

Miguel,

Do you mean on the server or the client machine? If you mean on the client
machine you'd have to have an active x control or it's like installed on the
client.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Miguel Ramirez

Thank you Justin,

I am not sure which is better from server or from client. I tried the shell
command but runs the application in a background mode, I am not able to see
the application, only in the task manager where I need to close it.

Mr Newbie

If you want to launch a windows application on the server you can use

Diagnostics.Process.Start( . . . . . .

Bruce Barker

processes started from asp.net (or any service) will not have access to the
desktop, so they are not able to open a window, thus they are always a
background task.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Miguel Ramirez

Thanks Mr. Newbie,

It works but the application is not visible.
How can I make it visible?

Regards,

Juan T. Llibre

You *can* make it visible...but only on the server.

The client will never be able to see it.

Miguel Ramirez said:
Thanks Bruce,

This is not good news,
Anyway I can make it visible?

"S. Justin Gengo" <justin@[no_spam_please]aboutfortunate.com> escribió en el mensaje
Miguel,

Do you mean on the server or the client machine? If you mean on the client machine
you'd have to have an active x control or it's like installed on the client.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
Anyone knows how to call a windows application inside ASP.Net code?

Regards,

Bruce Barker

yes. write a new windows service that runs as the local system account, and
in the settings for the service, allow interaction with the desktop. have
the service use .net remoting to listen for a start program request. have
your asp page call the service to do the startup.

note: as the webservice and service run even when noone is logged on the
webserver, they can not create a desktop in this case. you must be sure
someone has logged on the webserver for the window to appear.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Miguel Ramirez said:
Thanks Bruce,

This is not good news,