Can a page be made to make a .doc file do this?

Serious_Practitioner

Good day, and thank you in advance for any assistance.

I have very little experience with any sort of Web design product, HTML
editor...any of this. I'm more of a database person. If I'm asking for
something simple, please forgive me and tell me where to look. I'm using MS
Front Page 2003. Here's what I want to accomplish -

I've begun to design a Web page that will allow users to either download one
of several files or look at it. The files are all Word 2000 .doc files. In
my innocence, I figured that, with the proper code, I could make the Word
file come into a page when the page was loaded. So, for instance, you want
to view the contents of file1.doc, you'd click on an image, a new page would
open and the
file would be imported at that time, perhaps into a text box or table cell..

I have the download part working using .pdf files. What I am looking for is
a way to get the contents of file1.doc to be loaded into a page, for
viewing, as the page is loading, like images are loaded. My thought is that
I have a .doc, a .pdf and a page to maintain if the file contents change; if
the .doc file can be made to load into a new page as the page loads, I only
have to maintain the .doc file in the future, convert it to .pdf and upload
both of them to the server to be used appropriately. Less time spent and no
messing with the Web pages themselves. I can import the .doc files into new
pages when I create them, but then the pages have to be edited every time I
do an import, because there seems to be a severe loss of formatting, at
least with FP. I'm looking for a way around that.

I hope this makes sense. Thank you for your assistance.

Steve E.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Serious_Practitioner quothed:
[...]

Server-side scripting is made for this. Look into PHP.

Serious_Practitioner

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Serious_Practitioner quothed:

Server-side scripting is made for this. Look into PHP.

Thank you; I'll do that.

Steve E.