Can a page be made to make a .doc file do this?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Serious_Practitioner, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Good day, and thank you in advance for any assistance.

    I have very little experience with any sort of Web design product, HTML
    editor...any of this. I'm more of a database person. If I'm asking for
    something simple, please forgive me and tell me where to look. I'm using MS
    Front Page 2003. Here's what I want to accomplish -

    I've begun to design a Web page that will allow users to either download one
    of several files or look at it. The files are all Word 2000 .doc files. In
    my innocence, I figured that, with the proper code, I could make the Word
    file come into a page when the page was loaded. So, for instance, you want
    to view the contents of file1.doc, you'd click on an image, a new page would
    open and the
    file would be imported at that time, perhaps into a text box or table cell..

    I have the download part working using .pdf files. What I am looking for is
    a way to get the contents of file1.doc to be loaded into a page, for
    viewing, as the page is loading, like images are loaded. My thought is that
    I have a .doc, a .pdf and a page to maintain if the file contents change; if
    the .doc file can be made to load into a new page as the page loads, I only
    have to maintain the .doc file in the future, convert it to .pdf and upload
    both of them to the server to be used appropriately. Less time spent and no
    messing with the Web pages themselves. I can import the .doc files into new
    pages when I create them, but then the pages have to be edited every time I
    do an import, because there seems to be a severe loss of formatting, at
    least with FP. I'm looking for a way around that.

    I hope this makes sense. Thank you for your assistance.

    Steve E.

    Serious_Practitioner, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Serious_Practitioner

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Serious_Practitioner quothed:

    > Good day, and thank you in advance for any assistance.
    >
    > I have very little experience with any sort of Web design product, HTML
    > editor...any of this. I'm more of a database person. If I'm asking for
    > something simple, please forgive me and tell me where to look. I'm using MS
    > Front Page 2003. Here's what I want to accomplish -
    >
    > I've begun to design a Web page that will allow users to either download one
    > of several files or look at it. The files are all Word 2000 .doc files. In
    > my innocence, I figured that, with the proper code, I could make the Word
    > file come into a page when the page was loaded. So, for instance, you want
    > to view the contents of file1.doc, you'd click on an image, a new page would
    > open and the
    > file would be imported at that time, perhaps into a text box or table cell..
    >
    > I have the download part working using .pdf files. What I am looking for is
    > a way to get the contents of file1.doc to be loaded into a page, for
    > viewing, as the page is loading, like images are loaded. My thought is that
    > I have a .doc, a .pdf and a page to maintain if the file contents change; if
    > the .doc file can be made to load into a new page as the page loads, I only
    > have to maintain the .doc file in the future, convert it to .pdf and upload
    > both of them to the server to be used appropriately. Less time spent and no
    > messing with the Web pages themselves. I can import the .doc files into new
    > pages when I create them, but then the pages have to be edited every time I
    > do an import, because there seems to be a severe loss of formatting, at
    > least with FP. I'm looking for a way around that.
    >
    > I hope this makes sense. Thank you for your assistance.

    Server-side scripting is made for this. Look into PHP.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 4, 2005

  3. "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Serious_Practitioner quothed:
    >
    >> Good day, and thank you in advance for any assistance.
    >>
    >> I have very little experience with any sort of Web design product, HTML
    >> editor...any of this. I'm more of a database person. If I'm asking for
    >> something simple, please forgive me and tell me where to look. I'm using
    >> MS
    >> Front Page 2003. Here's what I want to accomplish -
    >>
    >> I've begun to design a Web page that will allow users to either download
    >> one
    >> of several files or look at it. The files are all Word 2000 .doc files.
    >> In
    >> my innocence, I figured that, with the proper code, I could make the Word
    >> file come into a page when the page was loaded. So, for instance, you
    >> want
    >> to view the contents of file1.doc, you'd click on an image, a new page
    >> would
    >> open and the
    >> file would be imported at that time, perhaps into a text box or table
    >> cell..
    >>
    >> I have the download part working using .pdf files. What I am looking for
    >> is
    >> a way to get the contents of file1.doc to be loaded into a page, for
    >> viewing, as the page is loading, like images are loaded. My thought is
    >> that
    >> I have a .doc, a .pdf and a page to maintain if the file contents change;
    >> if
    >> the .doc file can be made to load into a new page as the page loads, I
    >> only
    >> have to maintain the .doc file in the future, convert it to .pdf and
    >> upload
    >> both of them to the server to be used appropriately. Less time spent and
    >> no
    >> messing with the Web pages themselves. I can import the .doc files into
    >> new
    >> pages when I create them, but then the pages have to be edited every time
    >> do an import, because there seems to be a severe loss of formatting, at
    >> least with FP. I'm looking for a way around that.
    >>
    >> I hope this makes sense. Thank you for your assistance.

    > Server-side scripting is made for this. Look into PHP.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojias
    > Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.

    Thank you; I'll do that.

    Steve E.

    Serious_Practitioner, Aug 5, 2005