Can groups be entered in the authorization tab?

Randy Galliano

Hello,

I put some users in a group in Active Directory who can access an
ASP.NET intra net site internally. When I go to the authorization tab
on the ASP.Net configuration settings, and add the individual users, the
users can get onto the site. When I add the group, of which the users
are members, authentication never works. Can groups be used?

Regards,

Randy.

Joe Kaplan

Yes, they can. The typical problem here is that they are not specified
using the name that Windows uses to do the match, so you don't get a valid
match.

What I typically recommend is writing a little code to dump out the groups
in the user's token so you can see what's in there and see how they are
formatted using the Groups property on WindowsIdentity and the Translate
method on IdentityReferenceCollection.

In some cases, the user may not be in the groups you think they are.

Joe K.