can I add japanese characters to meta keywords?

Steve

Are there any web crawlers that use Japanese characters in their searching?
I want to be sure that web searchers using Japanese language PCs find my
site. Can I copy and paste Japanese characters into my page's meta info, or
should I just stick to english, and "our" alphabet?

In notepad, my pasted Japanese characters look like this...
ホンダ600 のクーペ

Does anything recognize this?

David Dorward

Steve said:
Are there any web crawlers that use Japanese characters in their
searching?

Presumably. They certainly show up in search results.

I want to be sure that web searchers using Japanese language
PCs find my site. Can I copy and paste Japanese characters into my page's
meta info, or should I just stick to english, and "our" alphabet?

Meta data is largely irrelevant, its the actual content of the page that
counts there days.
In notepad, my pasted Japanese characters look like this...
ホンダ600 のクーペ
Does anything recognize this?

Its encoding the characters as numerical references[1]. I suggest getting a
an editor that can understand the character encoding used for Japanese
characters (i.e. Shift_JIS or a UTF-something). Of course you will need to
make sure that your webserver is configured to serve the page with the
appropriate content type.

[1] I don't know the technical term, I've never had cause to use them.

Andreas Prilop

David Dorward said:
I suggest getting a
an editor that can understand the character encoding used for Japanese
characters (i.e. Shift_JIS or a UTF-something).

That's not necessary. AllTheWeb, AltaVista, Google understand
expressions (numeric character references in decimal form).
But since <meta keywords> are ignored by most, if not all, search
engines, we don't need to bother.

DU

David said:
Steve wrote:

Presumably. They certainly show up in search results.

Meta data is largely irrelevant, its the actual content of the page that
counts there days.

I have no idea on this opinion but I would nevertheless recommend, suggest:

content="ホンダ600 のクーペ
(...)">
if these characters represent relevant keyword for an indexing web
crawler or robot... This is what HTML 4.01 TR recommends. <shrug>

If the html editor can save the japanese characters, then there would be
no need to use character references here.
In notepad, my pasted Japanese characters look like this...
ホンダ600 のクーペ

Does anything recognize this?

Its encoding the characters as numerical references[1]. I suggest getting a
an editor that can understand the character encoding used for Japanese
characters (i.e. Shift_JIS or a UTF-something). Of course you will need to
make sure that your webserver is configured to serve the page with the
appropriate content type.

[1] I don't know the technical term, I've never had cause to use them.

If I am not wrong,
&quot; is a "character entity reference"
while
" is a "decimal character reference"
while
&x22; is an "hexadecimal character reference".
They respectively all represent the double quote sign.

DU

Steve

Then, what is the point of meta keywords anyway? Did search engines once
use them, but no more? Do they serve no practical function these days?

David Dorward

Andreas said:
That's not necessary. AllTheWeb, AltaVista, Google understand
expressions (numeric character references in decimal form).

Yes - but its a lot easier to edit your pages if you can see the character
:)

Steve R.

Steve wrote in message ...
Are there any web crawlers that use Japanese characters in their searching?

Why don't you 'copy 'n paste' some Japanese characters into the search box of
a *popular* search engine and see what results you get ?

That would seem to be the easiest way, rather than relying on answers from
*us*, as *we* can't agree on much these days. Hence the lively group :~)

Steve :~)

DU

Steve said:
Are there any web crawlers that use Japanese characters in their searching?
I want to be sure that web searchers using Japanese language PCs find my
site. Can I copy and paste Japanese characters into my page's meta info, or
should I just stick to english, and "our" alphabet?

In notepad, my pasted Japanese characters look like this...
ホンダ600 のクーペ

Does anything recognize this?

For international issues, I suggest you have a good look at

META and search engines
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.2

B.4 Notes on helping search engines index your Web site
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/appendix/notes.html#recs

B.4.1 Search robots
Robots and the META element

If your site has translated versions, then coding accordingly the <link>
element e.g.:
<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="path/filename.html"
hreflang="??" lang="??" title="...">
will help your site visibility and proper indexing by robots. And even
if your site does not have translated versions, using the <link> is a
recommendable thing to do:

W3C Quality Assurance Tip:
Use <link>s in your document
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/use-links

WATS.ca Web Accessibility Testing and Services:
The Missing <link> in the World Wide Web
http://www.wats.ca/articles/missinglink/49

I link LINK, and you should, too.
Why should you use LINK?
http://www.bauser.com/websnob/html4/link.html

The 'link'-Element in (X)HTML
http://www.subotnik.net/html/link.html.en
(The browser support section is incomplete and outdated as I know more
browsers or browser versions now render site navigation toolbar)

DU

Steve R.

David Dorward wrote in message ...
<http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E5%BA%83%E5%91%8A%E6%8E%B2%E8%BC%89%E3%81%
AB%E3%81%A4%E3%81%84%E3%81%A6&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=ja&btnG=Google+%E6%A4%9C%E
7%B4%A2&lr=>

How do you get those long URLs not to word-wrap please ?

I've tried it on other newsgroups using the < and > tags appropriately, but
it doesn't work for me.

Just checked in my outbox before sending and it's not working now.

There's gotta be a secret :~)

Steve.

Andreas Prilop

DU said:
I have no idea on this opinion but I would nevertheless recommend, suggest:

No, you should have

I repeat that <meta keywords> are ignored by search engines.

David Dorward

Andreas said:
No, you should have

Only if the main language for the document is ja. Otherwise you should have
something like: