    I have changed mine so many times that I no longer know what I
    changed.
    How do I get a new, clean one for OpenBSD 4.6 apache.?
    Myron, Feb 8, 2010

  2. On 08/02/2010 16:33, Myron wrote:
    > I have changed mine so many times that I no longer know what I
    > changed.
    > How do I get a new, clean one for OpenBSD 4.6 apache.?

    comp.lang.perl.misc is the wrong newsgroup for this.

    I'd look at comp.unix.bsd.misc, comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc and The
    Apache support forums.

    Followup set to c.u.b.o.m.

    Personally I always copy httpd.conf to httpd.conf.orig as part of my
    server install procedure.

    Sometimes I put configuration files like this into a version control
    system (RCS in my case - it's requirements are minimal).

    I know that doesn't help now, but maybe it will in future?
    RedGrittyBrick, Feb 8, 2010

  3. Myron

    Myron Guest

    On Feb 8, 11:48 am, Tad McClellan <> wrote:
    > Myron <> wrote:
    > > I have changed mine so many times that I no longer know what I
    > > changed.
    > > How do I get a new, clean one for OpenBSD 4.6 apache.?

    > How does your question relate to the Perl programming language?
    >
    > --
    > Tad McClellan
    > email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"

    I have just started a home OpenBSD server running Apache and want to
    use Perl.
    Apache is working, Perl is working, but CGI dosen't. I suspect file
    execution permissions on www.

    output of error_log
    [Sun Feb 7 21:38:35 2010] [error] [client 192.168.1.1] Premature end
    of script headers: /users/delco/test.cgi
    Xten.cgi is forbiden but Xten.html shows text, so apperently it is
    using the extention to determine to execute.
    http://72.206.97.182:81/~delco/xten.cgi =You don't have permission to
    access /~delco/xten.cgi on this server
    http://72.206.97.182:81/cgi-bin/test.cgi =internal error or
    misconfiguration
    http://72.206.97.182:81/~delco/first.cgi =You don't have permission
    to access /~delco/first.cgi on this server.
    http://72.206.97.182:81/cgi-bin/first.pl =internal server error
    http://72.206.97.182:81/xten.html =shows the text of the script.
    Myron, Feb 8, 2010
  4. Myron <> wrote:
    [ httpd.conf ]
    >I have changed mine so many times that I no longer know what I
    >changed.
    >How do I get a new, clean one for OpenBSD 4.6 apache.?

    Perl doesn't need nor uses httpd.conf at all, why do you think this has
    anything to do with Perl?

    I would suggest to ask in a NG that actually deals with web servers.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Feb 8, 2010
  5. Myron

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Feb 9, 2010
  6. Myron

    John Bokma Guest

    Myron <> writes:

    > I have changed mine so many times that I no longer know what I
    > changed.
    > How do I get a new, clean one for OpenBSD 4.6 apache.?

    Kind request to the regulars here: If you see a question that has
    nothing to do with Perl, or in any other way breaks the posting
    guidelines:

    Take a deep breath, and move on to the next message.

    Somehow those posts attract 5+ regulars all stating nearly the same
    message, and causing IMO noise that could've been prevented.

    Thanks,

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    John Bokma, Feb 9, 2010
  7. Myron

    sreservoir Guest

    On 2/8/2010 7:16 PM, John Bokma wrote:
    > Myron<> writes:
    >
    >> I have changed mine so many times that I no longer know what I
    >> changed.
    >> How do I get a new, clean one for OpenBSD 4.6 apache.?

    > Kind request to the regulars here: If you see a question that has
    > nothing to do with Perl, or in any other way breaks the posting
    > guidelines:
    >
    > Take a deep breath, and move on to the next message.
    >
    > Somehow those posts attract 5+ regulars all stating nearly the same
    > message, and causing IMO noise that could've been prevented.

    and, of course, you're just generating more noise.

    just filter the title out an move on.

    --

    "Six by nine. Forty two."
    "That's it. That's all there is."
    sreservoir, Feb 9, 2010
  8. John Bokma <> wrote:
    >Tad McClellan <> writes:
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/yjokxjm

    >Please don't use obfuscated URLs like this, IMO it's as childish as
    >rickrollin' and I would call it bad manners. Thanks.

    I second the motion!

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Feb 9, 2010
  9. Myron

    John Bokma Guest

    Tad McClellan <> writes:

    > John Bokma <> wrote:
    >> Myron <> writes:
    >>
    >>> I have changed mine so many times that I no longer know what I
    >>> changed.
    >>> How do I get a new, clean one for OpenBSD 4.6 apache.?

    >> Kind request to the regulars here: If you see a question that has
    >> nothing to do with Perl, or in any other way breaks the posting
    >> guidelines:
    >>
    >> Take a deep breath, and move on to the next message.

    > I will not be honoring your request.

    Heh, of course not, because you fit the shoe perfectly. And fear not, I
    wasn't expecting anyone to honor my request; but I was somehow hoping.

    But there is probably a reason people like you /have to jump/ on every
    newbie posting wrong with a "holier than thou" attitude.

    I do understand the need for correction, been there and stuff. But there
    is no need to do it in asshole mode collectively.

    >> Somehow those posts attract 5+ regulars all stating nearly the same
    >> message, and causing IMO noise that could've been prevented.

    > You have a strange notion of cause and effect...

    Rest assured, I consider the original post also noise, and I do
    understand that noise is unwelcome.

    *But* 5+ regulars posting all the same knee jerking message is also
    annoying. Maybe I experience this because a) I have taken a break from
    Usenet for about a year (got tired of exactly this and related
    attitude), and b) I rarely see this behavior in comp.lang.python and
    some other groups I follow.

    You can now reply that I then should go there and leave you all to
    it. Well, rest assured (and save time so you can tear another asshole in
    some newbie), I am already considering to leave comp.lang.perl.misc
    behind. Won't be the first time, but will be the last. And based on the
    daily traffic that I see, you and your trigger happy buddies will soon
    be alone.

    Perl is to me a great language, it's only sad that its community, at
    least the part that's visible on Usenet has so many rotten apples. And
    yes, I might have been one of them, /but/ are not blind.

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    John Bokma, Feb 9, 2010
  10. Myron

    ccc31807 Guest

    On Feb 8, 7:16 pm, John Bokma <> wrote:
    > Kind request to the regulars here: If you see a question that has
    > nothing to do with Perl, or in any other way breaks the posting
    > guidelines:

    Either provide the answer if such can be done expeditiously, or point
    the poster to the correct resource. DO NOT (!!!) insult, flame, or
    criticize the poster as he may not know better (except for those
    posters who abuse the privilege of posting here.)

    > Somehow those posts attract 5+ regulars all stating nearly the same
    > message, and causing IMO noise that could've been prevented.

    First, if you consider this noise, you obviously don't read many
    groups. c.l.p.m. is remarkable for its quietness and lack of noise.
    Second, we all learn something sometimes from reading the replies to
    such posts. If you consider that you have nothing left to learn, you
    are truly ignorant.

    I'm not being personally critical of you, or trying to insult you in
    any way, just making a (very short) case for patience, forbearance,
    tolerance, humility, and helpfulness.

    CC
    ccc31807, Feb 9, 2010
  11. Myron

    John Bokma Guest

    ccc31807 <> writes:

    > On Feb 8, 7:16 pm, John Bokma <> wrote:
    >> Kind request to the regulars here: If you see a question that has
    >> nothing to do with Perl, or in any other way breaks the posting
    >> guidelines:

    > Either provide the answer if such can be done expeditiously, or point
    > the poster to the correct resource. DO NOT (!!!) insult, flame, or
    > criticize the poster as he may not know better (except for those
    > posters who abuse the privilege of posting here.)

    My point exactly.

    >> Somehow those posts attract 5+ regulars all stating nearly the same
    >> message, and causing IMO noise that could've been prevented.

    > First, if you consider this noise, you obviously don't read many
    > groups.

    I do. Moreover, I've been on Usenet for 16+ years.

    > c.l.p.m. is remarkable for its quietness and lack of noise.

    Quietness, yes. Lack of noise, certainly not.

    > Second, we all learn something sometimes from reading the replies to
    > such posts.

    See above, I am talking about posts that are considered off-topic or in
    any other way a "violation" of the posting guide lines. Such posts are
    often met with a knee jerk reply by 5+ regulars; i.e. they insult, flame,
    or critisize a poster who may not know better.

    > If you consider that you have nothing left to learn, you
    > are truly ignorant.

    If that was the case I wouldn't be around here, nor would I've written
    my request.

    > I'm not being personally critical of you, or trying to insult you in
    > any way, just making a (very short) case for patience, forbearance,
    > tolerance, humility, and helpfulness.

    That's exactly what I tried to do here as well:

    If ask for patience & forbearance; if you (in general) see a posting
    that's clearly off-topic or violates the posting guidelines: take a deep
    breath, and move on to the next post. Because there is always someone
    who can't resist, and will point out what an idiot (since that's in my
    opinion most of the time the nuance of the reply) the OP is.

    But yeah, like I wrote earlier, just after I had posted it I already had
    the feeling that my post was futile. Time will tell, and I hope my
    feeling is wrong.

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    John Bokma, Feb 9, 2010
  12. Myron

    Myron Guest

    > >> Somehow those posts attract 5+ regulars all stating nearly the same
    > >> message, and causing IMO noise that could've been prevented.

    this reminds me of a story:
    There was this guy that went into a grocery store and he askes for a
    mixer. The guy there says "That building acrost the street has them,
    you can look there." So the guy walks out of the store. But before he
    gets to the door, two guys, with oversize pants hanging off their butt
    and ball caps on backwards, walk up on each side of him and ask "What
    are you doing here? Don't you know this is a grocery store? You know
    that this is a grocery store, why are you bothering us about a pan?
    Pans aren't groceries. DUH."

    I am sure you wouldn't do this in a grocery store, you shouldn't do it
    here either.

    I would like to thank RedGrittyBrick again for directing me to the
    correct forum. Also I would like an appoligy from Tad McClellan for
    asserting that I was rude by asking a question in ignorance, and
    replying to his question.

    I am writing this in an effort to keep this group healthy so it don't
    go down in flames like many others. I haven't participated in
    newsgroups for about 10 years. I am using a Perl scrpt and will edit
    it in the future, and it would be nice to have someplace I could go
    for help.
    Myron, Feb 9, 2010
  13. Myron

    ccc31807 Guest

    On Feb 9, 3:33 pm, Myron <> wrote:
    > I am writing this in an effort to keep this group healthy so it don't
    > go down in flames like many others.  I haven't participated in
    > newsgroups for about 10 years.  I am using a Perl scrpt and will edit
    > it in the future, and it would be nice to have someplace I could go
    > for help.

    Develop a thick skin and pay no attention to the insulting jerks (of
    which I have been one and probably will be one again.)

    Sometimes, the insults have a point, and wittingly or not you deserve
    to be the target of the insults. I have been such a target and
    probably will be again.

    Remember the old saw that ninety percent of all communication is non-
    verbal, and that all we get here is the ten percent that is verbal, so
    make allowance for the ninety percent that can't be conveyed with mere
    words.

    CC.
    ccc31807, Feb 9, 2010
  14. Myron

    John Bokma Guest

    ccc31807 <> writes:

    > On Feb 9, 3:33 pm, Myron <> wrote:
    >> I am writing this in an effort to keep this group healthy so it don't
    >> go down in flames like many others.  I haven't participated in
    >> newsgroups for about 10 years.  I am using a Perl scrpt and will edit
    >> it in the future, and it would be nice to have someplace I could go
    >> for help.

    > Develop a thick skin and pay no attention to the insulting jerks (of
    > which I have been one and probably will be one again.)

    I for sure have been one, but I try to avoid being one.

    > Sometimes, the insults have a point, and wittingly or not you deserve
    > to be the target of the insults. I have been such a target and
    > probably will be again.

    It's a sad world where it's ok to be a target of insults.

    Anyway, to the OP: you may try your luck next time at sites like
    stackoverflow. So far I haven't seen what some call Usenet attitude. And
    let's hope, when this group dries up (in give or take a year or so),
    this attitude will not move to those sites.

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    John Bokma, Feb 9, 2010
  15. Myron

    John Bokma Guest

    Tad McClellan <> writes:

    > John Bokma <> wrote:
    >
    >> It's a sad world where it's ok to be a target of insults.

    My reply was directed at what ccc31807 wrote.

    > I cannot find a single insult in this thread that was directed at the OP.

    Yeah, maybe /that/'s where the problem resides.

    > Could you please point one out?

    Funny you should ask. You consider hiding a URL behind tinyurl.com not
    an insult? I also notice that you've been selectively quoting yourself
    in your reply to the OP leaving that part out...

    Since you wrote earlier:

    > I will not be honoring your request.
    >
    > Best to filter out my posts.

    I have more the feeling that you're trolling than anything else.

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    John Bokma, Feb 10, 2010
  16. Myron

    John Bokma Guest

    Tad McClellan <> writes:

    [ tinyurl ]
    > I left that part out because you asked me to.
    >
    > _That_ request seemed a reasonable one to me.

    Clear Tad, and thank you very much.

    You probably also understand that kill filing regulars is not an option
    ;-) So I was somewhat hoping that my request, to not post immediately a
    reply when a question is clearly a violation of the posting guidelines,
    would also make sense.

    To be honest, I try to avoid answering the simple questions as much as
    possible so that I a) have more time to read the answers to harder
    questions and b) if possible contribute to those. It's not that simple
    questions are below me, I mean I love to answer them, but I don't
    consider it productive if 7 people all post nearly the same answer over
    an hour.

    Anyway, thanks for reading my replies, who knows :)

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    John Bokma, Feb 10, 2010
  17. On 09/02/2010 16:41, John Bokma wrote:

    > *But* 5+ regulars posting all the same knee jerking message is also
    > annoying.

    John, I do think you're over-reacting in this instance. I only count
    four responses to the OP, maybe the fifth didn't reach my news server.
    I'm sure you are aware of the propagation delays that can cause several
    people to respond before other responses become visible to them.

    I was one of those four responders - I directed Myron to an appropriate
    newsgroup, he followed up there and was provided with some help there.
    Even though the subject was off-topic here I also provided some specific
    suggestions that I thought might help in future.

    Now you seem to be labelling me as a knee jerking reprobate!

    Your own knees look a little twitchy to me ;-)
    RedGrittyBrick, Feb 10, 2010
  18. Myron

    John Bokma Guest

    Ben Morrow <> writes:

    > Quoth John Bokma <>:
    >>
    >> Funny you should ask. You consider hiding a URL behind tinyurl.com not
    >> an insult?

    > Um, what? URL-shortening services are very useful on Usenet, given the
    > limited line length and the fact that line-broken URLs can't be
    > identified by some clients (or most if they've been quoted). In what way
    > is this insulting?

    Maybe you should reread the thread?

    Anyway, it doesn't matter, Tad agrees with me (for which my thanks).

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    John Bokma, Feb 10, 2010
  19. Myron

    John Bokma Guest

    RedGrittyBrick <> writes:

    > On 09/02/2010 16:41, John Bokma wrote:
    >>
    >> *But* 5+ regulars posting all the same knee jerking message is also
    >> annoying.

    > John, I do think you're over-reacting in this instance. I only count
    > four responses to the OP, maybe the fifth didn't reach my news
    > server. I'm sure you are aware of the propagation delays that can
    > cause several people to respond before other responses become visible
    > to them.

    Hence my request to take a breath if you see an easy target. As for the
    wording of those replies, IMO they can be a bit more friendly. Or maybe
    that's just me.

    Anyway, thanks for (still) reading me. Like I wrote earlier (and several
    times in the past), this is one of the groups I consider hostile
    compared to other groups I am subscribed to. And it's not because this
    is a "techie" group, since I am subscribed to several of them. I've
    subscribed to this group many times, and after some time I
    unscribed. One of the major reasons was the hostile behavior (to which I
    certainly have contributed in the past, hopefully way less now). Maybe
    hostile, knee jerk, etc. are too strong words, but English is my second
    language, and maybe that's showing here.

    I understand that nobody is paid here for running a help desk (heh,
    didn't that discussion run here ages ago ;-) ), and that people who come
    here should at least be somewhat prepared. But I've made my newbie posts
    as well, back in the day, and can't recall unfriendly replies back in
    those days, maybe I forgot.

    Maybe this thread didn't justify my reaction, but I am sure there are
    threads here that do.

    Thanks,

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    John Bokma, Feb 10, 2010
  20. Myron

    Steve C Guest

    Myron wrote:

    > this reminds me of a story:
    > There was this guy that went into a grocery store and he askes for a
    > mixer. The guy there says "That building acrost the street has them,
    > you can look there." So the guy walks out of the store. But before he
    > gets to the door, two guys, with oversize pants hanging off their butt
    > and ball caps on backwards, walk up on each side of him and ask "What
    > are you doing here? Don't you know this is a grocery store? You know
    > that this is a grocery store, why are you bothering us about a pan?
    > Pans aren't groceries. DUH."
    >
    > I am sure you wouldn't do this in a grocery store, you shouldn't do it
    > here either.
    >
    > I would like to thank RedGrittyBrick again for directing me to the
    > correct forum. Also I would like an appoligy from Tad McClellan for
    > asserting that I was rude by asking a question in ignorance, and
    > replying to his question.
    >
    > I am writing this in an effort to keep this group healthy so it don't
    > go down in flames like many others. I haven't participated in
    > newsgroups for about 10 years. I am using a Perl scrpt and will edit
    > it in the future, and it would be nice to have someplace I could go
    > for help.

    Story I was thinking of was the cop who sees a drunk on his hands and
    knees under the streetlight.

    "What are you doing?"
    "I lost my car keys over there."
    "Well, why are you looking here?"