Can I set all elements on a page to have tabIndex = -1?

George Hester

The reason why I want to do this is that I will set a form's elements to have a tabIndices. I start out with no tabbing. The page loads the cursor appears in a first Input box and until the user "does something" there is no tabbing. This is specific to Microsoft Internet Explorer 5+. Anyway the issue is that although I set the tabbing order for all the components on the "page," there is one "element" that gets included in the tabbing order and I am NOT setting it. It is the address bar. What element is that? And how can I keep that at tabIndex = -1 so that after I set the tabbing order on the page, the address bar keeps it's nose out of the equation? Using javascript if possible. I'd be happy to show ya'll this page if anyone's interested when it's done and you'll understand why I need to do this. Thanks.

McKirahan

--
George Hester
__________________________________

You could open up the page without an address bar:

window.open({url},"","location=0")

George Hester

Actually I'd like to keep the page the way it is normally. I really don't want that. You'll see after the page is finished why that's not good. So I'm wondering if it is possible to set all elements on a page to have tabIndex = -1 when the page loads? Thanks.

McKirahan

Actually I'd like to keep the page the way it is normally. I really don't
want that. You'll see after the page is finished why that's not good. So
I'm wondering if it is possible to set all elements on a page to have
tabIndex = -1 when the page loads? Thanks.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

I doubt that you do what you want.

You can only control the "tabindex" of elements within your page not the
browser.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/ref
erence/properties/tabindex.asp

You state that I'll " see after the page is finished why that's not good.".

Can you explain "why that's not good"?

George Hester

Because that will "scare" people. Plus all they have to do is enable the address bar and I'm right back to the same issue.

Grant Wagner

George said:
The reason why I want to do this is that I will set a form's elements to have a tabIndices. I start out with no tabbing. The page loads the cursor appears in a first Input box and until the user "does something" there is no tabbing. This is specific to Microsoft Internet Explorer 5+. Anyway the issue is that although I set the tabbing order for all the components on the "page," there is one "element" that gets included in the tabbing order and I am NOT setting it. It is the address bar. What element is that? And how can I keep that at tabIndex = -1 so that after I set the tabbing order on the page, the address bar keeps it's nose out of the equation? Using javascript if possible. I'd be happy to show ya'll this page if anyone's interested when it's done and you'll understand why I need to do this. Thanks.

<form>
<input type="text" name="one" tabindex="1">
<input type="text" name="two" tabindex="2">
<input type="text" name="three" tabindex="3">
<input type="text" name="four" tabindex="4" onblur="this.form.elements['one'].focus();">
</form>

Doesn't help if the user hits SHIFT+TAB in the first form element however.

--

* http://devedge.netscape.com/library/manuals/2000/javascript/1.3/reference/frames.html
* http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/dhtml_reference_entry.asp