Can I use Request to Accept query String

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by hon123456, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. hon123456

    hon123456 Guest

    Dear all,

    I got a link as follows:

    %=stroutboundno%>&inboundno=<%=strinboundno%>&house=<%=strhouse
    %>&house1=<%=strhouse1%>&refno=<%=strrefno%>&invoiceno=<%=strinvoiceno
    %>&HAWB=<%=strHAWB%>&pono=<%=strpono%>&HAWBno=<%=strHAWBno%>&NAV=<
    %=intPageCount%>">Last Page</a>

    Can I just use request("user"), request("outboundno"), request
    ("inboundno") to accept
    the query string in the Link. As I found in the web page, only
    request.querystring can be used to
    accept the querystring in the link. My question is can I just use
    request("something") to accept
    outdolistdata?something="abc" but not using request.querystring.

    Thanks.
    hon123456, Dec 1, 2008

  2. hon123456

    Bob Barrows Guest

    hon123456 wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I got a link as follows:

    > %=stroutboundno%>&inboundno=<%=strinboundno%>&house=<%=strhouse
    > %>&house1=<%=strhouse1%>&refno=<%=strrefno%>&invoiceno=<%=strinvoiceno
    > %>&HAWB=<%=strHAWB%>&pono=<%=strpono%>&HAWBno=<%=strHAWBno%>&NAV=<
    > %=intPageCount%>">Last Page</a>
    >

    > Can I just use request("user"), request("outboundno"), request
    > ("inboundno") to accept
    > the query string in the Link. As I found in the web page, only
    > request.querystring can be used to
    > accept the querystring in the link. My question is can I just use
    > request("something") to accept
    > outdolistdata?something="abc" but not using request.querystring.

    You can, but: it will hurt performance slightly and might lead to unexpected
    results. Read this:
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/which-should-i-use-request-item-or-request-form-item.html

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows, Dec 1, 2008

  3. hon123456

    Bullschmidt Guest

    And in the future you COULD perhaps have a page that can accept a
    querystring and/or a post so being explicit using Request.Form() for
    posted variables and Request.Querystring() for querystring variables
    might actually do yourself a favor (less confusion) sometime in the
    future when you look back on a site and try to understand the code...

    Best regards,
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    http://www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

    Bullschmidt, Dec 11, 2008