can javascript function consume webservice that returns ado.net dataset?

Timo

Can a client-side javascript function consume a webservice that
returns an ADO.NET dataset, and then bind the returned dataset to
a DropDownList control?
TIA
Timo

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

Timo
yes, as with all things in software, it's just a matter of programming.
but
how much programming are you willing to do?

1st up: I think your terminology is off: client-side script cannot
interact with a DropDownList control, which is a server-side artifact.
Client side script can however, use DHTML and build a SELECT item and
populate it with fields from a DataSet. It would require lots of parsing of
XML. Not pretty. But possible.

If you really want to bind to the *control*, then you want to consume the
dataset on the server side (where the control is). Then you wouldn't use
client-side script at all. You'd use a .NET language. And it would be much
easier than the above.

Another alternative: you could embed a Windows Forms app within a webpage
and that winforms app could consume a dataset in the manner you described.
Also much easier than the first option there. . .

happy hunting,
-D

Timo

Hi Dino,
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that the DHTML and XML
parsing in javascript on the client-side would be "not pretty",
but I was hoping that Microsoft might have some ready-made
"behaviors" for the DropDownList to make this possible.

The embedding of Windows Forms app within a webpage sounds like a
very powerful combination. I've found this discussion:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/06/Rich/default.aspx

Is there a good book you can recommend that covers this subject
extensively? It's an approach I'd like to discuss with my boss for
our intranet apps.

Thanks again.
Timo