Can Javascript increase the security of the data one a webpage?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Daz, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. Daz

    Daz Guest

    Hi.

    Sorry I couldn't think of a better way to word the title for this
    thread. My question is this:

    Say I have a page that is generated totally dynamically by Javascript.
    The code will generate several other pages using onClick events. Let's
    say I had a normal piece of text on the page, made to look like a link
    (without using the href attribute), and a user clicked on it.
    <a onClick="show_contact_info()">Show contact information</a>

    Would this prevent the majority of crawlers that search the web for
    E-mail addesses from accessing this the information on this page? I am
    not sure if a bot can follow an onClick event, or even read an E-mail
    address from the actual JavaScript code itself.

    Can anyone suggest the best way to store contact information in a way
    that it wouldn't be accessable by the majority of crawlers, but
    preferably without having to prompt the user for verification? I accept
    that some crawlers may be advanced enough to do such things, which is
    why I am mainly interested in preventing the majority of crawlers.

    If I do need to get the user to confirm a code or something, then I am
    happy to do so, but I thought this might make for an interesting
    discussion.

    Best wishes.

    Daz.
    Daz, Nov 8, 2006

  2. Daz

    Randy Webb Guest

    Daz said the following on 11/8/2006 1:24 PM:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't think of a better way to word the title for this
    > thread. My question is this:
    >
    > Say I have a page that is generated totally dynamically by Javascript.
    > The code will generate several other pages using onClick events. Let's
    > say I had a normal piece of text on the page, made to look like a link
    > (without using the href attribute), and a user clicked on it.
    > <a onClick="show_contact_info()">Show contact information</a>
    >
    > Would this prevent the majority of crawlers that search the web for
    > E-mail addesses from accessing this the information on this page? I am
    > not sure if a bot can follow an onClick event, or even read an E-mail
    > address from the actual JavaScript code itself.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest the best way to store contact information in a way
    > that it wouldn't be accessable by the majority of crawlers, but
    > preferably without having to prompt the user for verification? I accept
    > that some crawlers may be advanced enough to do such things, which is
    > why I am mainly interested in preventing the majority of crawlers.
    >
    > If I do need to get the user to confirm a code or something, then I am
    > happy to do so, but I thought this might make for an interesting
    > discussion.

    Use a form, submit the form, let the server send the email. The contact
    info is secure. If they want other information, they can give there own
    email address, submit the form and the server sends them an email with
    the information.

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind