Can .NET run agains an Access database?

Guest

Basically, 2 questions:
1. Can I buy a .NET hosting package? (is there such a thing?)
2. Can my hosted .NET project run against MS Access?

Obviously I've never developed a .NET app before, but I have created quite a
few ASP pages....

Thanks for the help,
Ed

Leon Mayne [MVP]

Ed said:
Basically, 2 questions:
1. Can I buy a .NET hosting package? (is there such a thing?)

Yes, various hosts offer shared .NET hosting now, e.g
http://www.brinkster.com/
2. Can my hosted .NET project run against MS Access?

Yes, but it isn't recommended, because Access is not designed for concurrent
use. You can use it for small apps (e.g. test apps) but I'd recommend
finding a host that also offers SQL Server 2000 databases.

HTH

Leon Mayne [MVP]

Mark said:
Leon said:
[...]Access is not designed for concurrent use.[...]

oh, really! What is it designed for?

Have you tried setting up a web application to use an Access database and
then hitting it with concurrent requests?

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

You'll find that Microsoft recommends not using Microsoft Access
for multi-user environments that exceed maybe 10 or so concurrent
users (that is a real rough number). They specifically recommend
not using it in a web environment.

Microsoft Access is largely used and designed for high speed
single user access on the local machine. It can support use
over shared drives and with add-ons remote connectivity.

However, its ability to perform become seriously degraded
when you stray away from its original design.

--
2005 Microsoft MVP C#
Robbe Morris