Can not put @ when debuging with Windows XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Albert Catala, Nov 3, 2009.

  1. Hello, I have problems when I debug, buy only with a Laptop with XP Home
    Edition

    Here is my problem: when I debug I cann hot print @, [ ] {.... special
    characters.

    (see attached image)

    I have been looking for solutions in google... but I only found some
    similar issues about the ruby console (IRB), this is another problem but
    already solved, and nothing about debugging.

    Does anybody know anything about it

    thanks in advance

    sorry for my english, now, i'm going to put this in spanish forum :)

    Attachments:
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4205/debugger.png

    Albert Catala, Nov 3, 2009

  2. Albert Catala

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Nov 3, 3:39 pm, Albert Catala <> wrote:
    > Hello, I have problems when I debug, buy only with a Laptop with XP Home
    > Edition
    >
    > Here is my problem: when I debug I cann hot print @, [ ] {.... special
    > characters.
    >
    > (see attached image)
    >
    > I have been looking for solutions in google... but I only found some
    > similar issues about the ruby console (IRB), this is another problem but
    > already solved, and nothing about debugging.
    >
    > Does anybody know anything about it
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > sorry for my english, now, i'm going to put this in spanish forum :)

    Hello Albert,

    The issue you're facing is related to extended escape codes/sequences
    shown in international keyboards.

    Based in your last comment, I assume you have an spanish keyboard.

    Depending on the version of Ruby you're using, you should generate a
    file named ".inputrc" and store it in your profile/HOME folder.

    The file should look like this:

    "M-[": "["
    "M-]": "]"
    "M-{": "{"
    "M-}": "}"
    "M-\": "\"
    "M-|": "|"
    "M-@": "@"
    "M-~": "~"

    You can learn more about this here:

    http://www.peterkrantz.com/2005/irb-for-nonen-keyboards/

    Also, I recommend you install RubyInstaller "preview2" version (soon
    will be RC1)

    http://rubyinstaller.org/

    That specific distribution of Ruby uses a pure-ruby version of the
    readline library, which works across keyboards without the issue shown
    in your case.

    HTH,
    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Nov 3, 2009

  3. Luis Lavena wrote:
    > On Nov 3, 3:39�pm, Albert Catala <> wrote:
    >> already solved, and nothing about debugging.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know anything about it
    >>
    >> thanks in advance
    >>
    >> sorry for my english, now, i'm going to put this in spanish forum :)
    >>

    > Hello Albert,
    >
    > The issue you're facing is related to extended escape codes/sequences
    > shown in international keyboards.
    >
    > Based in your last comment, I assume you have an spanish keyboard.
    >
    > Depending on the version of Ruby you're using, you should generate a
    > file named ".inputrc" and store it in your profile/HOME folder.
    >
    > The file should look like this:
    >
    > "M-[": "["
    > "M-]": "]"
    > "M-{": "{"
    > "M-}": "}"
    > "M-\": "\"
    > "M-|": "|"
    > "M-@": "@"
    > "M-~": "~"
    >
    > You can learn more about this here:
    >
    > http://www.peterkrantz.com/2005/irb-for-nonen-keyboards/
    >
    > Also, I recommend you install RubyInstaller "preview2" version (soon
    > will be RC1)
    >
    > http://rubyinstaller.org/
    >
    > That specific distribution of Ruby uses a pure-ruby version of the
    > readline library, which works across keyboards without the issue shown
    > in your case.
    >
    > HTH,

    Hi, I saw this link of peter krantz, but doesn't work. And in windows, I
    can't create a file without name (.inputrc) so I created "inputrc" and
    another "inputrc.inputrc", but doesn't work either.

    So I think there isn't solution, maybe wait for de "preview2" you said

    thanks

    Albert Català, Nov 3, 2009
  4. Albert Catala

    Paul Smith Guest

    > Hi, I saw this link of peter krantz, but doesn't work. And in windows, I
    > can't create a file without name (.inputrc) so I created "inputrc" and
    > another "inputrc.inputrc", but doesn't work either.

    Yes you can. You can't do it with (Right Click)->New but you can open
    Notepad and save a file called .inputrc

    > So I think there isn't solution, maybe wait for de "preview2" you said
    >
    > thanks

    Paul Smith
    http://www.nomadicfun.co.uk

    Paul Smith, Nov 3, 2009
  5. Paul Smith wrote:
    >> Hi, I saw this link of peter krantz, but doesn't work. And in windows, I
    >> can't create a file without name (.inputrc) so I created "inputrc" and
    >> another "inputrc.inputrc", but doesn't work either.

    > Yes you can. You can't do it with (Right Click)->New but you can open
    > Notepad and save a file called .inputrc
    >

    >> So I think there isn't solution, maybe wait for de "preview2" you said
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> --

    > Paul Smith
    > http://www.nomadicfun.co.uk

    OK, this is done, but I can't write "@", and i have followed all
    instruccions of peter's web

    ????

    Albert Català, Nov 3, 2009
  6. Albert Català wrote:
    > Paul Smith wrote:
    >>> Hi, I saw this link of peter krantz, but doesn't work. And in windows, I
    >>> can't create a file without name (.inputrc) so I created "inputrc" and
    >>> another "inputrc.inputrc", but doesn't work either.

    >> Yes you can. You can't do it with (Right Click)->New but you can open
    >> Notepad and save a file called .inputrc
    >>

    >>> So I think there isn't solution, maybe wait for de "preview2" you said
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> --
    >> Paul Smith
    >> http://www.nomadicfun.co.uk
    >>

    > OK, this is done, but I can't write "@", and i have followed all
    > instruccions of peter's web
    >
    > ????

    ¡¡¡ FINALLY I could. in that file changing M for e:

    inputrc:

    "\e[": "["
    "\e]": "]"
    "\e{": "{"
    "\e}": "}"
    "\e\": "\"
    "\e|": "|"
    "\e@": "@"
    "\e~": "~"

    thanks to all

    Albert Català, Nov 3, 2009
  7. Albert Català wrote:
    > Paul Smith wrote:
    >>> Hi, I saw this link of peter krantz, but doesn't work. And in windows, I
    >>> can't create a file without name (.inputrc) so I created "inputrc" and
    >>> another "inputrc.inputrc", but doesn't work either.

    >> Yes you can. You can't do it with (Right Click)->New but you can open
    >> Notepad and save a file called .inputrc
    >>

    >>> So I think there isn't solution, maybe wait for de "preview2" you said
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> --
    >> Paul Smith
    >> http://www.nomadicfun.co.uk
    >>

    > OK, this is done, but I can't write "@", and i have followed all
    > instruccions of peter's web
    >
    > ????

    ¡¡¡ FINALLY I could. in that file changing M for e, and HOME variable is
    created in user and system environtment (may can affect)

    inputrc:

    thanks to all

    Albert Català, Nov 3, 2009