Can not put @ when debuging with Windows XP Home Edition

Albert Catala

Hello, I have problems when I debug, buy only with a Laptop with XP Home
Edition

Here is my problem: when I debug I cann hot print @, [ ] {.... special
characters.

(see attached image)

I have been looking for solutions in google... but I only found some
similar issues about the ruby console (IRB), this is another problem but
already solved, and nothing about debugging.

Does anybody know anything about it

thanks in advance

sorry for my english, now, i'm going to put this in spanish forum :)

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/4205/debugger.png

Luis Lavena

Hello, I have problems when I debug, buy only with a Laptop with XP Home
Edition

Here is my problem: when I debug I cann hot print @, [ ] {.... special
characters.

(see attached image)

I have been looking for solutions in google... but I only found some
similar issues about the ruby console (IRB), this is another problem but
already solved, and nothing about debugging.

Does anybody know anything about it

thanks in advance

sorry for my english, now, i'm going to put this in spanish forum :)

Hello Albert,

The issue you're facing is related to extended escape codes/sequences
shown in international keyboards.

Based in your last comment, I assume you have an spanish keyboard.

Depending on the version of Ruby you're using, you should generate a
file named ".inputrc" and store it in your profile/HOME folder.

The file should look like this:

"M-[": "["
"M-]": "]"
"M-{": "{"
"M-}": "}"
"M-\": "\"
"M-|": "|"
"M-@": "@"
"M-~": "~"

You can learn more about this here:

http://www.peterkrantz.com/2005/irb-for-nonen-keyboards/

Also, I recommend you install RubyInstaller "preview2" version (soon
will be RC1)

http://rubyinstaller.org/

That specific distribution of Ruby uses a pure-ruby version of the
readline library, which works across keyboards without the issue shown
in your case.

HTH,

Albert Català

Luis said:
[...]

Hi, I saw this link of peter krantz, but doesn't work. And in windows, I
can't create a file without name (.inputrc) so I created "inputrc" and
another "inputrc.inputrc", but doesn't work either.

So I think there isn't solution, maybe wait for de "preview2" you said

thanks

Paul Smith

Hi, I saw this link of peter krantz, but doesn't work. And in windows, I
can't create a file without name (.inputrc) so I created "inputrc" and
another "inputrc.inputrc", but doesn't work either.

Yes you can. You can't do it with (Right Click)->New but you can open
Notepad and save a file called .inputrc

Albert Català

--
Paul Smith
http://www.nomadicfun.co.uk

(e-mail address removed)

OK, this is done, but I can't write "@", and i have followed all
instruccions of peter's web

????

Albert Català

Albert said:
OK, this is done, but I can't write "@", and i have followed all
instruccions of peter's web

????

¡¡¡ FINALLY I could. in that file changing M for e:

inputrc:

"\e[": "["
"\e]": "]"
"\e{": "{"
"\e}": "}"
"\e\": "\"
"\e|": "|"
"\e@": "@"
"\e~": "~"

thanks to all

Albert Català

Albert said:
OK, this is done, but I can't write "@", and i have followed all
instruccions of peter's web

????

¡¡¡ FINALLY I could. in that file changing M for e, and HOME variable is
created in user and system environtment (may can affect)

inputrc:

thanks to all