Can we access database (SQL) using AJAX ?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Bhuwan said:
Hi,

Can we access database (SQL) using AJAX ?

Thanks,
Bhuwan

Yes, and no.

You can't access the database directly using AJAX.

You can request a page or web service on the server using AJAX, which in
turn can access the database.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Can we access database (SQL) using AJAX ?

AJAX is a mechanism whereby ASPX pages can make HttpRequests via a callback
instead of a postback - there's very little more to it than that...

Can you explain your question in a bit more detail...

Bhuwan Bhaskar

Hi Mark,

I am making a page that contains text boxes for email id, Name, date of
birth, address ...
Data on the above fields is saved in a table say 'T1" of database say "D1"
of SQL server 2000.

What I want is, after entering email id in a text box, rest of the field of
the form would fill accordingly without postback. Can I use Ajax in this
scinario or what are the other options.

Thank,

Bhuwan

Mark Rae [MVP]

I am making a page that contains text boxes for email id, Name, date of
birth, address ...
Data on the above fields is saved in a table say 'T1" of database say "D1"
of SQL server 2000.

What I want is, after entering email id in a text box, rest of the field
of the form would fill accordingly without postback. Can I use Ajax in
this scenario

I believe so...
or what are the other options.

I use this: http://anthemdotnet.com

It would meet your requirements with no problem at all...

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

What you have described is a lot like Google forms, so yes, it is possible.
You cannot access the database directly, but with ASP.NET AJAX, you can
create a routine that gets hit as a person types in. It is not as
straightforward, except through third party controls (and perhaps futures),
but it can be accomplished if you are willing to work at it.

If you follow the google forms idea and then get info when the person
selects an email completely, you can AJAX the data return.

Nick Chan

u can use sqlxml, so it's 'almost direct'
Hi Mark,

I am making a page that contains text boxes for email id, Name, date of
birth, address ...
Data on the above fields is saved in a table say 'T1" of database say "D1"
of SQL server 2000.

What I want is, after entering email id in a text box, rest of the field of
the form would fill accordingly without postback. Can I use Ajax in this
scinario or what are the other options.

Thank,

Bhuwan

bruce barker

actually if you are using sql2005 you can access it directly from ajax.
sqlserver 2005 has a web service interface, which can be called directly
from most ajax libraries. unlike earlier versions, it built in rather
than being an iis filter.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)