Can we make Java report just by drag and drop?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Compatible Mozilla/4.0EmbeddedWB-, Mar 30, 2009.

  1. Background
    Most Java reporting tools, especially those have some BI
    characteristics, often claim to end users that their products are
    simple to use. Some reporting tools promise that they can allow end
    users to make various statistical reports follow their own
    inclinations, and even make a report just by drag and drop.

    Has report development become so easily?!

    The fact is that programmers are still struggling against various
    reports. Both reporting softwares and OLAP products seldom allow end
    users to use them directly, therefore, end users are still using
    Excel.
    For end users, making a simple Web report (with row grouping or simple
    cross) with these common reporting softwares is ok, as they can do
    with the wizard and the semantic layer. However, end users can not
    make most complex reports by dragging and dropping the relations of
    data structure which they do not understood. Therefore, it is
    impossible for end users to make all the report with these common
    reporting softwares.
    Drag and drop can only set the positions of data items, but they even
    can not do this very well. As current reporting tools' editing styles
    are commonly based on controls, and it is a general editing proposal
    of graphical primitive, it absolutely does not show the regularity of
    table. However, real successful table products like Excel are not
    based on controls. For summary conditions, grouping rules and
    operation formulas, which have to be dealt with in complex reports,
    drag and drop can do nothing at all. Therefore, end users have to
    understand the operation model of report first, and then, write
    abstract expressions. This is not much easier than coding.

    Solution
    Then, is it impossible for end users to make Web reports by
    themselves?
    Yes, it is possible of course!
    However, they can only make those simple reports with universal
    reporting tools. In order to make complex industry reports, they must
    use reporting tools with industry characteristics. In other words,
    programmers must add industry experience into some technical reporting
    tools, and set the styles and templates of report. Then, end users
    only need to input parameters and indicators to make various complex
    reports. The degree of difficulty is determined by the functions and
    integration of the reporting tool.

    To sum up, it is not easy to make complex reports by drag and drop as
    others said.

    This post is from freezea's blog. You are welcomed cc it anywhere, and
    please indicate the source.

    If you would like to read more articles about reporting tool, you are
    also welcome to refer to his blog at http://freezea.blogspot.com/.
    Compatible Mozilla/4.0EmbeddedWB-, Mar 30, 2009

  2. Compatible Mozilla/4.0EmbeddedWB-

    Lew Guest

    sherry wrote:
    > This post is from freezea's blog. You are welcomed cc it anywhere, and
    > please indicate the source.

    The source is comp.lang.java.programmer, a public Usenet forum.

    > If you would like to read more articles about reporting tool, you are
    > also welcome to refer to his blog at http://freezea.blogspam.scam/.

    While you are welcome to contribute to the discussion in this forum, this is
    an inappropriate place to spam for your stupid blog.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Mar 30, 2009