Cannot compile a solution in VS2010 which references Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS.dllunless target

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nick Gilbert, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. Nick Gilbert

    Nick Gilbert Guest

    Hi,
    I have upgraded a Visual Studio 2008 solution to VS 2010, but leaving
    the target Framework at 3.5. The application references
    Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS.dll which ships with SQL Server 2008 (I
    am using version 10.0.1600.22 of this DLL).

    If I try to compile the application I get the following compiler warning
    in the output window, followed by lots of errors as it cannot find the
    namespaces referenced in the source code:

    Warning 2 The primary reference "Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS,
    Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91,
    processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it has an
    indirect dependency on the .NET Framework assembly "mscorlib,
    Version=2.0.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
    which has a higher version "2.0.3600.0" than the version "2.0.0.0" in
    the current target framework.

    ....followed by various related compilation errors.

    If the target framework is changed to 4.0, the application compiles and
    works normally, however .NET 4.0 is not available in our hosting
    environment and the application compiled and worked perfectly under .net
    3.5 when compiled by VS 2008. Therefore it seems the error message
    generated by the compiler is incorrect.

    This problem has also been raised by others on the MS Connect site:
    http://tinyurl.com/y4uzwoz

    Any ideas how I can fix or workaround this problem?

    Thanks
    Nick

    Nick Gilbert, Apr 20, 2010

  2. Re: Cannot compile a solution in VS2010 which references Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS.dll unless target is changed to .NET 4.0

    Nick Gilbert wrote:
    > I have upgraded a Visual Studio 2008 solution to VS 2010, but leaving
    > the target Framework at 3.5. The application references
    > Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS.dll which ships with SQL Server 2008 (I
    > am using version 10.0.1600.22 of this DLL).
    >
    > If I try to compile the application I get the following compiler
    > warning in the output window, followed by lots of errors as it cannot
    > find the namespaces referenced in the source code:
    >
    > Warning 2 The primary reference "Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS,
    > Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91,

    Is there any significance in the warning containing a different version
    number for your dll than the one you're intending to use?

    --
    Andrew

    Andrew Morton, Apr 21, 2010

  3. Nick Gilbert

    Nick Gilbert Guest

    On 21/04/2010 09:31, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Nick Gilbert wrote:
    >> I have upgraded a Visual Studio 2008 solution to VS 2010, but leaving
    >> the target Framework at 3.5. The application references
    >> Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS.dll which ships with SQL Server 2008 (I
    >> am using version 10.0.1600.22 of this DLL).
    >>
    >> If I try to compile the application I get the following compiler
    >> warning in the output window, followed by lots of errors as it cannot
    >> find the namespaces referenced in the source code:
    >>
    >> Warning 2 The primary reference "Microsoft.SQLServer.ManagedDTS,
    >> Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91,

    > Is there any significance in the warning containing a different version
    > number for your dll than the one you're intending to use?

    That comes up even if I remove the reference and re-add it. I'm not sure
    why it's different to the version number I get if I look at the
    properties of the file.

    Nick

    Nick Gilbert, Apr 21, 2010