Cannot display Chinese data from database

Guest

Some chinese characters data (in Big5 encoding) is stored in database.
I tried to display the data in an aspx but the characters cannot display
correctly.
I tried anything I think is related:
- Setting the charset, codepage of the page
- changed the responseEncoding in web.config to Big5
- hardcoded Response.ContentEncoding to 950 (codepage of Big5)
- Change the file encoding to Big5 (in save option)
None of them work.

For the same data, it can displayed correctly in my classic asp.

Code (.NET)
SqlConnection connection = new
SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["NewsDB"]);
SqlCommand command = new SqlCommand();
command.Connection = connection;
command.CommandText = "SELECT Newsid, StoryDate, StoryTime, Headline
FROM tblLatestHeader";
command.CommandType = CommandType.Text;

SqlDataReader dataReader;
connection.Open();
dataReader = command.ExecuteReader();
string html = "";
while (dataReader.Read())
{
html += dataReader[3].ToString();
}
connection.Close();
Label1.Text = html;
Label2.Text = "你好嗎"; // this is chinese character which can display
correctly
}

Work in classic asp:
<%
Set connection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
connection.ConnectionString = "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=MyDB;Initial
Catalog=NewsDB;User Id=sa;Password=fakepwd;"
connection.open
Set rs = connection.execute("SELECT Newsid, StoryDate, StoryTime, Headline
FROM tblLatestHeader")

While Not rs.eof
response.write rs("Headline") & "<br>"
rs.movenext
wend
%>

Joerg Jooss

Jason said:
Some chinese characters data (in Big5 encoding) is stored in database.
I tried to display the data in an aspx but the characters cannot
display correctly.
I tried anything I think is related:
- Setting the charset, codepage of the page

The Codepage directive in ASP.NET 2.0 is the same as reponseEncoding in
web.config.
- changed the responseEncoding in web.config to Big5
- hardcoded Response.ContentEncoding to 950 (codepage of Big5)

And these are identical as well (the latter, like Codepage, works at
the page level though).
- Change the file encoding to Big5 (in save option)

That's only relevant at buildtime.
[...]

If your hardcoded sample text is displayed correctly, there's quite
likely a problem with your ADO.NET provider. Are the correct characters
displayed when you debug your code right after retrieving strings from
the database?

Cheers,