cannot see website after transferring local site to http server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by JayD, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. JayD

    JayD Guest

    This will solve for us a number of problems. I have developed a website on my
    local machine (part of a LAN) using Visual Web Developer, with ASP.NET 2.0.
    Backend is a SQL Server 2000 database. All queries and webforms work
    beautifully on my local machine (file system web project).

    However, when I copy this website to a virtual directory on an IIS server, I
    keep getting permissions denied error, when I try to access any aspx page on
    the website.

    This is what I have done:
    1. I have created an ASPNET login for SQL Server and gave it rights to the
    database.

    2. I am using Windows Authentication (IIS Directory Security tab) and
    Anonymous access is Unchecked.

    3. There is <identity impersonate="true" /> line in the web.config file.

    4. Even though I have Windows authentication checked in IIS, I have the
    following in the web.config file:
    <authentication>
    <forms name=".ASPXFORMSAUTH" loginUrl="logincs.aspx" />
    </authentication>

    Don't know what the above means - it was generated as part of my using the
    ASP.NET configuration in Visual Web Developer.

    5. aspnetdb database is a SQL server 2005 database, on the same machine as
    IIS.

    6. I have tried logging in as many different types of users (with full
    rights and so on) but I cannot open a single page on the machine with the IIS
    server.

    Pleas help if you can -

    Thanks

    Jay