capture checkbox clicks at server

Josh

Here's what I want to do:

I want to have a form on my page with a number of checkboxes. No submit
button. When the user checks a box, I want that event to call an asp
page on the server as if the user had submitted the form with that
option selected. BUT, I do not want the user's browser to navigate to a
new page, OR for the checked box to become unchecked or anything else.
When they check another box I want the same thing to happen. Bonus
points for when the user checks a box for the box to disappear and be
replaced by a graphic saying "Thanks!" or something like that.

help me out folks!!!

kaeli

I want to have a form on my page with a number of checkboxes. No submit
button. When the user checks a box, I want that event to call an asp
page on the server as if the user had submitted the form with that
option selected. BUT, I do not want the user's browser to navigate to a
new page, OR for the checked box to become unchecked or anything else.
When they check another box I want the same thing to happen. Bonus
points for when the user checks a box for the box to disappear and be
replaced by a graphic saying "Thanks!" or something like that.

help me out folks!!!

Go look at netflix's code. They have a very good implementation of something
very similar (the voting with the stars and the stars change after you
click). It's a pain, and long and complex, so I won't post it here. But it's
quite neat.
Go steal it from there. *g*

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Josh said:
I want to have a form on my page with a number of checkboxes. No submit
button. When the user checks a box, I want that event to call an asp
page on the server as if the user had submitted the form with that
option selected. BUT, I do not want the user's browser to navigate to a
new page,

If your sender address would have been program, you would have known
that this has been asked several times ad nauseam before. Look into
`XMLHTTPRequest'.
OR for the checked box to become unchecked or anything else.

You could try to cancel the `click' and/or `mousedown' event, returning
`false' to the event handler. May not be cross-browser since it is part
of the DOM.
When they check another box I want the same thing to happen. Bonus
points

In which currency?
for when the user checks a box for the box to disappear

Modify the `display' and/or `visibility' style properties of the
object referenced by `this' in the event handler attribute value
accordingly.
and be replaced by a graphic saying "Thanks!" or something like that.

Modify the document tree using DOM methods accordingly.
help me out folks!!!

[x] done

PointedEars
--
Nach und nach verschwinden in einem größeren Word-Dokument
Das ist ein Programm zum Briefe-Schreiben. Nimm das einfach

Randy Webb

Thomas said:
Josh wrote:

If your sender address would have been program, you would have known
that this has been asked several times ad nauseam before. Look into
`XMLHTTPRequest'.

And if you had a brain, you would take it out and play with it. Some
day, we can only hope that you gain the intelligence/knowledge to
understand a simple fact:

People munge email addresses in Usenet for a very good reason.

The fact that you miss that, nor do you understand it, points to one of
two possibilities:

1) You are too stupid to realize it.
2) You are an Email Harvester that wants only valid email addresses in
your database.

Which is it?

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, dated Tue, 12 Apr
2005 21:03:33, seen in Thomas 'PointedEars'
Lahn said:
This is not a support forum but a discussion group.

No, this is a Usenet newsgroup.

Both discussion and direct problem-solving responses are perfectly in
order. One may reasonably choose to reply in either form, or in a
mixture.

Bundesrepublikpolizei are, however, not in order.

If you don't like it here, then you can take yourself elsewhere, which
on the whole is likely to be better appreciated here than elsewhere.