    Any pointers and especially source code would be great.
    Thank you
    , Feb 17, 2012

  2. markspace Guest

    On 2/17/2012 11:40 AM, wrote:
    > I am on a LAN that has a TCP/IP print server. I like to capture the
    > data sent to the print server.I’ve tried jsniff with jpcap but

    This is not Java related, but yes it should be possible. What brand of
    print server? What ports is it configured to work on? What is your
    network topology?

    I use Wireshark for network sniffing, but any sniffer should work, so if
    what you're using now isn't working, the obvious next step is to ask
    "why not?" before just trying different software at random.

    <http://www.wireshark.org/>

    > that only seems to capture the tcp port of the pc I am on, not TCP/IP
    > of the print server.

    That's normal, in certain network topologies. Understanding networks is
    important if you want to do network programming.

    > Is it possible to capture the data of the print server? Or turn my pc
    > in into a virtual printer and capture printer data that way?
    > Ideally I like to process the print jobs before they print but I’ll
    > take what ever I can get. Scanning the print jobs would be fine too.
    > Any pointers and especially source code would be great.

    All of this could work, but will require a considerable amount of
    effort. Good luck on the "free source code" part.
    markspace, Feb 17, 2012

  3. Daniel Pitts Guest

    On 2/17/12 11:40 AM, wrote:
    > I am on a LAN that has a TCP/IP print server. I like to capture the
    > data sent to the print server. I’ve tried jsniff with jpcap but
    > that only seems to capture the tcp port of the pc I am on, not TCP/IP
    > of the print server.

    You can try Wireshark to verify that the traffic makes it to your
    machine in the first place. If there is a network switch involved, the
    network traffic may not be broadcast to your node. Also, if you are on
    a wireless network, some wireless cards and driver combinations prevent
    "sniffing" of traffic to other devices.

    > Is it possible to capture the data of the print server? Or turn my pc
    > in into a virtual printer and capture printer data that way?
    > Ideally I like to process the print jobs before they print but I’ll
    > take what ever I can get. Scanning the print jobs would be fine too.
    > Any pointers and especially source code would be great.
    > Thank you

    This makes me curious what you're *really* trying to do. It may not
    involve sniffing at all. You might be right on the path to creating a
    virtual printer, but they may also be more complex then necessary.
    Perhaps all you need to do is enable access to the print-queue on the
    print server. Details vary by brand ;-)
    Daniel Pitts, Feb 22, 2012
  4. sbureca

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    LAN Sniffing

    You should use an old hub not a switch, on the last you just see multicast and broadcasr while on the hub you see all traffic on the LAN
    sbureca, May 23, 2012