CAS & ASP.Net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Subir, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Subir

    Subir Guest

    Can you tell what I am doing wrong in the following:

    1. Create a web-application viz. TestWebApplication1
    2. Build the app
    3. Create a code group TestWebApp under Machine->All Code->My_computer_Zone
    4. Set the membership condition as URL and the value as
    file://C:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\bin\*
    5. Check the “This policy level will only have the permissions etc. etc.â€
    6. Assign the permission set Everything to the TestWebApp
    7. “caspol -rsp WebApplication1.dll†returns the permissions under the
    Everything set meaning that it is being assigned the correct group.
    8. When I hit http://localhost/WebApplication1/WebForm1.aspx I get this
    error.
    Parser Error

    Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'WebApplication1.Global'.

    Source Error:

    Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs"
    Inherits="WebApplication1.Global" %>

    Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\global.asax Line: 1

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2032
    -----------------------

    Also is the above method of using CAS recommended for ASP.Net? Or should we
    only use the App Domain method?

    Thanks,
    Subir

    Subir, Apr 8, 2005

  2. "Subir" <> wrote in message
    > Can you tell what I am doing wrong in the following:

    <snip>

    You will need to grant AspNetHostingPermission\Minimal (or higher) in order
    for global.asax and the *.aspx pages to be useable. AspNetHostingPermission
    is not part of the Everything permission set, nor is it available in the
    permission list displayed in the .NET Framework Configuration utility UI.
    You can add it to a permission set (but not one of the built-in ones) by
    importing from an XML file as described at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e...ConfigurationToolToWorkWithPermissionSets.asp.

    > Also is the above method of using CAS recommended for ASP.Net?

    Not when you're only concerned about the permissions of the application when
    run from ASP.NET. In that case, you should use the ASP.NET policy settings,
    as introduced at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconASPNETTrustLevelsPolicyFiles.asp.

    > Or should we
    > only use the App Domain method?

    If this means using the ASP.NET policy settings then, yes, it is the
    intended method for controlling CAS permissions for ASP.NET applications.

    Nicole Calinoiu, Apr 8, 2005