CDO Mail Object Help

connie

I have an E-mail ASP Web form that is using a CDO Mail
Object. This form has to be filled out before the
customer can download our demo. Currently, the customer
fills out the form, clicks to submit and a message appears
to the customer telling them it was successful and to
click on a picture on the form to download the demo. My
problem is that many of the customer don't read the
message. I want to modify the code so that after the
customer clicks SUBMIT, the info is submitted and then the
download immediately begins without them having to take
further action.

What is the code I should add to begin downloading a file
after the form is successfully submitted. Here's some of
the code I am currently using:

Set objMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
objMessage.Subject = "Cosmetology DEMO for " &
Request ("Department")

objMessage.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
objMessage.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
objMessage.TextBody = ("txtmsg")& " " & "Name: "
& Request("addressto")& " Dept: " & Request("Department")
& " Telephone: " & Request ("Telephone Number") & "
Email: " & Request ("Email Address") & " School Name: " &
Request ("Company/School Name") & " City/State: " &
Request ("City/State")
objMessage.Send

mailres=objMessage.Send()
if NOT mailres then
%>
<script language = "JavaScript">
<!--
alert("Your information has been sent. Click on
the Graduate Icon to complete download.");
//-->
</script>
<%
else
Response.Write "<table width=90% border=0><tr><td
bgcolor=#ffff55 align=center>Mail send
end if
End If
%>

..

Jeff Cochran

I have an E-mail ASP Web form that is using a CDO Mail
Object. This form has to be filled out before the
customer can download our demo. Currently, the customer
fills out the form, clicks to submit and a message appears
to the customer telling them it was successful and to
click on a picture on the form to download the demo. My
problem is that many of the customer don't read the
message. I want to modify the code so that after the
customer clicks SUBMIT, the info is submitted and then the
download immediately begins without them having to take
further action.

The CDO Mail Object can't start a download, though you could
auto-reply to a message with a file attached. That still isn't the
CDO object.

Stop thinking about this as an email issue, it's not. It's a forced
download issue. Which means streaming the file. But your real
problem is you're already responding to the form with a download link
that isn't being clicked, why don't you simply make it easier to find
and click that link? A big "Click here to receive your file" would be
better than an obscure picture.

Jeff

Santiago J. Crespo Mothe

Set objMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
objMessage.Subject = "Cosmetology DEMO for " &
Request ("Department")

objMessage.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
objMessage.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
objMessage.TextBody = ("txtmsg")& " " & "Name: "
& Request("addressto")& " Dept: " & Request("Department")
& " Telephone: " & Request ("Telephone Number") & "
Email: " & Request ("Email Address") & " School Name: " &
Request ("Company/School Name") & " City/State: " &
Request ("City/State")
objMessage.Send

mailres=objMessage.Send()
if NOT mailres then
Response.redirect("thefile.zip") 'this will redirect you to the
zip/exe/whatever file and start the download, that's in IE at least.