CDO Mail Object Help

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by connie, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. connie

    connie Guest

    I have an E-mail ASP Web form that is using a CDO Mail
    Object. This form has to be filled out before the
    customer can download our demo. Currently, the customer
    fills out the form, clicks to submit and a message appears
    to the customer telling them it was successful and to
    click on a picture on the form to download the demo. My
    problem is that many of the customer don't read the
    message. I want to modify the code so that after the
    customer clicks SUBMIT, the info is submitted and then the
    download immediately begins without them having to take
    further action.

    What is the code I should add to begin downloading a file
    after the form is successfully submitted. Here's some of
    the code I am currently using:

    Set objMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    objMessage.Subject = "Cosmetology DEMO for " &
    Request ("Department")

    objMessage.From = ""
    objMessage.To = ""
    objMessage.TextBody = ("txtmsg")& " " & "Name: "
    & Request("addressto")& " Dept: " & Request("Department")
    & " Telephone: " & Request ("Telephone Number") & "
    Email: " & Request ("Email Address") & " School Name: " &
    Request ("Company/School Name") & " City/State: " &
    Request ("City/State")
    objMessage.Send

    mailres=objMessage.Send()
    if NOT mailres then
    %>
    <script language = "JavaScript">
    <!--
    alert("Your information has been sent. Click on
    the Graduate Icon to complete download.");
    //-->
    </script>
    <%
    else
    Response.Write "<table width=90% border=0><tr><td
    bgcolor=#ffff55 align=center>Mail send
    end if
    End If
    %>

    ..
    connie, Jul 29, 2004

  2. connie

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:15:04 -0700, "connie"
    <> wrote:

    >I have an E-mail ASP Web form that is using a CDO Mail
    > Object. This form has to be filled out before the
    >customer can download our demo. Currently, the customer
    >fills out the form, clicks to submit and a message appears
    >to the customer telling them it was successful and to
    >click on a picture on the form to download the demo. My
    >problem is that many of the customer don't read the
    >message. I want to modify the code so that after the
    >customer clicks SUBMIT, the info is submitted and then the
    >download immediately begins without them having to take
    >further action.

    The CDO Mail Object can't start a download, though you could
    auto-reply to a message with a file attached. That still isn't the
    CDO object.

    Stop thinking about this as an email issue, it's not. It's a forced
    download issue. Which means streaming the file. But your real
    problem is you're already responding to the form with a download link
    that isn't being clicked, why don't you simply make it easier to find
    and click that link? A big "Click here to receive your file" would be
    better than an obscure picture.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jul 29, 2004

  3. connie

    Guest Guest

    Thank you. I think you are right. A big "CLICK HERE" it
    is!

    &

    Guest, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Set objMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    objMessage.Subject = "Cosmetology DEMO for " &
    Request ("Department")

    objMessage.From = ""
    objMessage.To = ""
    objMessage.TextBody = ("txtmsg")& " " & "Name: "
    & Request("addressto")& " Dept: " & Request("Department")
    & " Telephone: " & Request ("Telephone Number") & "
    Email: " & Request ("Email Address") & " School Name: " &
    Request ("Company/School Name") & " City/State: " &
    Request ("City/State")
    objMessage.Send

    mailres=objMessage.Send()
    if NOT mailres then
    Response.redirect("thefile.zip") 'this will redirect you to the
    zip/exe/whatever file and start the download, that's in IE at least.

    Santiago J. Crespo Mothe, Jul 30, 2004