CDONTS Send- Permission Denied

Jon Montana

CDONTS was working well until I installed Exchange 2000. I thought it might
be a relay problem, but I allowed the server IP address to relay.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

here's the error:

HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

----

a.. Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0046)
Permission denied
/mail/mail.asp, line 40

b.. Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

c.. Page:
POST 68 bytes to /mail/mail.asp

d.. POST Data:
ip=61.210.1.47&date=11%2F7%2F2003&time=10%3A36%3A12+AM&login=&body=

--
(DISCLAIMER: The preceding message reflects the opinion of only 1 out of
billions of Internet and Newsgroup users. It does not reflect the opinions

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Exchange 2000 is on the same machine? Have you tried using CDO.Message
instead (two benefits: you can switch between pickup (local SMTP service)
and port (any SMTP server on the internet or within your network), and it's
not deprecated like CDONTS). See http://www.aspfaq.com/2026 for better code
samples.

Jon Montana

I'll give it a shot...was trying to avoid rewriting my scripts, but what the
heck...I guess I would eventually have to anyway.

Thanks.

--

Aaron Bertrand - MVP said:
Exchange 2000 is on the same machine? Have you tried using CDO.Message
instead (two benefits: you can switch between pickup (local SMTP service)
and port (any SMTP server on the internet or within your network), and it's
not deprecated like CDONTS). See http://www.aspfaq.com/2026 for better code
samples.

Ray at

Yeah, it's not that bad to do. The one thing that you could consider is
writing your own e-mail sub for basic e-mailing, and then you'd only have to
worry about updating that if you ever have to use a different component.

Sub MailaMessage(To, CC, BCC, Subject, Body)
'''code to create cdo.message and send e-mail

End Sub

As far as the error that you're getting, make sure that IUSR has permission
to write files to \inetpub\mailroot\pickup.

Ray at work

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

I do the same thing in SQL Server...

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.sendmail
@stuff
AS
-- code for current mail implementation
-- currently xp_smtp_sendmail

Ray at

Rita Charlesworth said:
I was getting 800a0046 permission denied on CDONTS send.
Followed the below advice to convert to CDO. Found some
simple example code at
http://www.codeproject.com/asp/cdoex.asp Result was that
my '800a0046 permission denied' message went away, but was
replaced with '80070005 Access is denied'. Eventual cure
was to give the Everyone account all permissions on the
mailroot folder.

Or give IUSR write permissions to \mailroot\pickup only.

Ray at home