CDONTS Send- Permission Denied

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jon Montana, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Jon Montana

    Jon Montana Guest

    CDONTS was working well until I installed Exchange 2000. I thought it might
    be a relay problem, but I allowed the server IP address to relay.

    Thanks for anything you can offer.

    here's the error:

    HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
    Internet Information Services

    ----

    a.. Error Type:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0046)
    Permission denied
    /mail/mail.asp, line 40

    b.. Browser Type:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

    c.. Page:
    POST 68 bytes to /mail/mail.asp

    d.. POST Data:
    ip=61.210.1.47&date=11%2F7%2F2003&time=10%3A36%3A12+AM&login=&body=

    --
    (DISCLAIMER: The preceding message reflects the opinion of only 1 out of
    billions of Internet and Newsgroup users. It does not reflect the opinions

    Jon Montana, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Exchange 2000 is on the same machine? Have you tried using CDO.Message
    instead (two benefits: you can switch between pickup (local SMTP service)
    and port (any SMTP server on the internet or within your network), and it's
    not deprecated like CDONTS). See http://www.aspfaq.com/2026 for better code
    samples.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Jon Montana

    Jon Montana Guest

    I'll give it a shot...was trying to avoid rewriting my scripts, but what the
    heck...I guess I would eventually have to anyway.

    Thanks.

    Jon Montana, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Jon Montana

    Ray at Guest

    Yeah, it's not that bad to do. The one thing that you could consider is
    writing your own e-mail sub for basic e-mailing, and then you'd only have to
    worry about updating that if you ever have to use a different component.

    Sub MailaMessage(To, CC, BCC, Subject, Body)
    '''code to create cdo.message and send e-mail

    End Sub

    As far as the error that you're getting, make sure that IUSR has permission
    to write files to \inetpub\mailroot\pickup.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Nov 7, 2003
  5. I do the same thing in SQL Server...

    CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.sendmail
    @stuff
    AS
    -- code for current mail implementation
    -- currently xp_smtp_sendmail

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Nov 7, 2003
  6. Jon Montana

    Ray at Guest

    Re: CDONTS Send- Permission Denied resolved for me

    "Rita Charlesworth" <> wrote in message
    > I was getting 800a0046 permission denied on CDONTS send.
    > Followed the below advice to convert to CDO. Found some
    > simple example code at
    > http://www.codeproject.com/asp/cdoex.asp Result was that
    > my '800a0046 permission denied' message went away, but was
    > replaced with '80070005 Access is denied'. Eventual cure
    > was to give the Everyone account all permissions on the
    > mailroot folder.

    Or give IUSR write permissions to \mailroot\pickup only.

    Ray at home
    Ray at, Dec 6, 2003