    in 3 seconds...but not this one?

    ???

    Jim
    JVRudnick, Feb 20, 2008

  2. "JVRudnick" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey all...
    > running w2k3/iis6 and trying to shorten the length of time that a simple

    10
    > field ASP form takes to execute using CDOSYS. it takes about 50 seconds

    each
    > time...and I've no idea why?
    >
    > any pointers here lads? on other servers the exact same script does it's

    job
    > in 3 seconds...but not this one?

    It might be worth you confirming which part of your script is taking most of
    the time but its going to be the send. It will be some configuration
    problem that is causing something like DNS lookups or user authentication to
    take a long time.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Feb 20, 2008

  3. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    First thanks guys. Next, its on my own ded server so that makes me the
    SysAdmin I suppose. Next, I do not know any manner to test "which" part of
    the script is taking the time. Mailogs show it's in the outbound queue for
    seconds, so I doubt that the problem is with MainEnablePro. It must be IMHO,
    the script itself, yet as I said it runs in 3 secs on other servers. Hmmm,
    maybe it's the library I'm using as it's still the w2k one... ie

    METADATA
    TYPE="typelib"
    UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
    NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"

    Anyone know, is there a more recent one for w2k3? Might that be "it" problem
    wise?

    Jim
    JVRudnick, Feb 21, 2008
  4. "JVRudnick" <> wrote in message
    > First thanks guys. Next, its on my own ded server so that makes me the
    > SysAdmin I suppose. Next, I do not know any manner to test "which" part of
    > the script is taking the time.

    Here is a noddy example.

    Dim sPath
    Dim oStream

    sPath = Server.MapPath("/myLogs/" & Session.SessionID & ".log")
    Dim fso : Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Dim oStream: Set oStream = fso_OpenTextFile(sPath, 8, True)

    oStream.WriteLine "Script Started: " & Now

    'Code building message in oMsg

    oStream.WriteLine "Entering Send: " & Now

    oMsg.Send

    oStream.WriteLine "Exited Send:" & Now

    oStream.Close

    >Mailogs show it's in the outbound queue for
    > seconds, so I doubt that the problem is with MainEnablePro. It must be

    IMHO,

    > the script itself, yet as I said it runs in 3 secs on other servers. Hmmm,
    > maybe it's the library I'm using as it's still the w2k one... ie
    >
    > METADATA
    > TYPE="typelib"
    > UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
    > NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
    >
    > Anyone know, is there a more recent one for w2k3? Might that be "it"

    problem
    > wise?

    I doubt it. The GUID is the same on XP and 2003. Its the same component.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Feb 22, 2008
  5. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    Do you mean, Anthony, that I should just cut and paste that script into a new
    ..asp page, run it on the server in the domain root folder and then see what
    happens?

    ie is that how I'd get a report on same?

    Jim

    JVRudnick, Feb 24, 2008
  6. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    Hmm....got that script up and running ok - but it seems to choke? I properly
    put all where the items belong, but when the script hits the oMail.SEND line,
    it chokes (my var is oMail for this page btw)?

    The logs quite properly show the Script Started and Entering Send lines and
    times...but as the script then errors out with nothing more than a 2 line
    error --

    error '8004020f'
    /sendForm.asp, line 135

    -- I'm lost. Have no exp using this method to write a timing handler....

    Can you offer why the simple addition of this item makes the SEND function
    quit before it even starts?

    Jim
    JVRudnick, Feb 24, 2008
  7. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    Ignore what's above....sorry, just can't type today!

    Here's the log --

    Script Started: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
    Entering Send: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
    Exited Send:2/24/2008 3:25:15 PM

    As you can see, the SEND function worked in less than a second.

    So why those extra 48 seconds (as it averages about 50 in total) ???

    Jim

    JVRudnick, Feb 24, 2008
  8. "JVRudnick" <> wrote in message
    > Ignore what's above....sorry, just can't type today!
    >
    > Here's the log --
    >
    > Script Started: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
    > Entering Send: 2/24/2008 3:24:42 PM
    > Exited Send:2/24/2008 3:25:15 PM
    >
    > As you can see, the SEND function worked in less than a second.
    >
    > So why those extra 48 seconds (as it averages about 50 in total) ???

    Is that how you read it? What I see is the send function alone taking 33
    seconds to complete. You have placed the "Entrying send" and "Exiting send"
    log lines directly adjacent either side of the call to send, right?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Feb 24, 2008
  9. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    good gosh...you're absolutely right! I not only couldn't type yesterday, but
    obviously couldn't read a log either!

    that mea culpa stated....I agree. 33 seconds is the time it too, and yes the
    lines are properly placed around the oMail.SEND line too.

    So...why? that's what's got me stumped!

    3 seconds on one server and 33 on the other.....

    ?

    Jim

    JVRudnick, Feb 25, 2008
  10. "JVRudnick" <> wrote in message
    > good gosh...you're absolutely right! I not only couldn't type yesterday,

    but
    > obviously couldn't read a log either!
    >
    > that mea culpa stated....I agree. 33 seconds is the time it too, and yes

    the
    > lines are properly placed around the oMail.SEND line too.
    >
    > So...why? that's what's got me stumped!
    >
    > 3 seconds on one server and 33 on the other.....
    >
    > ?

    Ok so we've established it isn't your script its the SMTP configuration.

    Are the speedier servers using the same SMTP server?
    Are you using the local SMTP server on the Web Server or another server?
    Is it Exchange?
    Can you review the authentication requirements of the SMTP server?
    Does you script run as the anonymous user or does it use integrated
    security?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Feb 26, 2008
  11. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    yes, same SMTP server being used on both boxes

    yes, same SMTP setup for both ME and IIS...ie all checkboxes are the same!

    not using Exchange at all

    authentication is the plain jane MailEnablePro integrated authentication
    again on both servers....

    script is as follows (without message text which is immaterial) --
    <!--
    METADATA
    TYPE="typelib"
    UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
    NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
    -->

    Set oMail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")

    Set oMailConfig = Server.CreateObject ("CDO.Configuration")

    oMailConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = "mail.domainname.com"

    oMailConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = 25

    oMailConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2

    oMailConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpconnectiontimeout") = 60

    oMailConfig.Fields.Update

    Set oMail.Configuration = oMailConfig

    oMail.From = ""
    ' from this account which is valid on this server

    oMail.To = ""
    ' this account ALSO on same server and valid too

    oMail.Subject = "Website Email Buyer/Seller Form"

    MessageBody = "text goes here"
    ' message is here via request.form from page before...

    oMail.HTMLBody = MessageBody

    oMail. SEND
    Set oMail = Nothing

    Set oMailConfig = Nothing

    Response.Redirect("thanks.asp")

    This is pretty simple. Works in 3 seconds on one server and about 40 or so
    on the new one.

    Why? What'm I doing wrong here...this is SO dang dumb...I'm positive I've
    got a simple mistake...but can NOT find it...

    Sigh....

    Jim

    JVRudnick, Feb 27, 2008
  12. "JVRudnick" <> wrote in message
    > yes, same SMTP server being used on both boxes
    >
    > yes, same SMTP setup for both ME and IIS...ie all checkboxes are the same!
    >
    > not using Exchange at all
    >
    > authentication is the plain jane MailEnablePro integrated authentication
    > again on both servers....
    >
    > script is as follows (without message text which is immaterial) --
    > <!--
    > METADATA
    > TYPE="typelib"
    > UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
    > NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
    > -->
    >

    > Set oMail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    >
    > Set oMailConfig = Server.CreateObject ("CDO.Configuration")

    oMailConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserve
    r") = "mail.domainname.com"

    oMailConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserve
    rport") = 25

    oMailConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing
    ") = 2

    oMailConfig.Fields("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpconne
    ctiontimeout") = 60

    > oMailConfig.Fields.Update
    >
    > Set oMail.Configuration = oMailConfig
    >
    > oMail.From = ""
    > ' from this account which is valid on this server
    >
    > oMail.To = ""
    > ' this account ALSO on same server and valid too
    >
    > oMail.Subject = "Website Email Buyer/Seller Form"
    >
    > MessageBody = "text goes here"
    > ' message is here via request.form from page before...
    >
    > oMail.HTMLBody = MessageBody
    >
    > oMail. SEND
    > Set oMail = Nothing
    >
    > Set oMailConfig = Nothing
    >
    > Response.Redirect("thanks.asp")
    >

    > This is pretty simple. Works in 3 seconds on one server and about 40 or so
    > on the new one.
    >
    > Why? What'm I doing wrong here...this is SO dang dumb...I'm positive I've
    > got a simple mistake...but can NOT find it...
    >
    > Sigh....

    If you reduce the connection timeout to say 20 seconds does it fail. My
    guess it does. The web server is struggling to authenticate with the mail
    server. Do both servers belong to the same domain, do they have good access
    to a domain controller, is the web server trusted for delegation?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Feb 28, 2008
  13. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    I too believe that there is a "struggle" going on. Both servers are ded
    servers from thePlanet and no are not related at all - ie both have diff
    clients and domains on them but they both are w2k3/SP2/iis6 boxes. Domain
    controller and trusted for delegation are beyond my ken tho...what do you
    mean there?

    Jim

    JVRudnick, Feb 28, 2008
  14. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    thinking here....

    could we take this 'off' this forum and converse via email?

    let me know if that's okay with you? I've got some results from a component
    test and further data on this, but don't want to "hog" any bandwidth for
    others...

    jrudnick at kkti dot com

    :)

    Jim