Centering the page

jp2express

I have a *very* basic website here:
http://www.joeswelding.biz

Yes, it has GoDaddy banners on it because I do not pay for hosting.

Notice that the table that contains my junky logo is at the left side of the
screen.

In the pages that display on my other links (Contact, Red Trailer, Gray
Trailer, Dump Trucks, and Entry Gate), I use identical tables to display
that same junky logo. In fact, I just copied and pasted them in over and
over (don't understand how to use a header file for this, yet).

My question is: Why do the other pages center the table, but my index page
does not?

Feel free to look at the code. It isn't complex, and they are all identical
as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,
~Joe

Blinky the Shark

jp2express said:
I have a *very* basic website here:
http://www.joeswelding.biz

Yes, it has GoDaddy banners on it because I do not pay for hosting.

Notice that the table that contains my junky logo is at the left side of the
screen.

In the pages that display on my other links (Contact, Red Trailer, Gray
Trailer, Dump Trucks, and Entry Gate), I use identical tables to display
that same junky logo. In fact, I just copied and pasted them in over and
over (don't understand how to use a header file for this, yet).

My question is: Why do the other pages center the table, but my index page
does not?

They're all the same here with Firefox. You didn't mention what browser
you are viewing them in, so I trust you've only looked at them with IE;
it's best to let people *know* what tools you're using.
Feel free to look at the code. It isn't complex, and they are all identical
as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Using far too many large images. Not everyone has broadband. Your
pages are too big. Use thumbnails linked to the time-wasting big
images. As the site is, I'd bail and look for another welder.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:53:52
GMT jp2express scribed:
I have a *very* basic website here:
http://www.joeswelding.biz

Yes, it has GoDaddy banners on it because I do not pay for hosting.

Notice that the table that contains my junky logo is at the left side
of the screen.

In the pages that display on my other links (Contact, Red Trailer,
Gray Trailer, Dump Trucks, and Entry Gate), I use identical tables to
display that same junky logo. In fact, I just copied and pasted them
in over and over (don't understand how to use a header file for this,
yet).

My question is: Why do the other pages center the table, but my index
page does not?

Feel free to look at the code. It isn't complex, and they are all
identical as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Only happens in ie. I'd say fixing your validation errors would probably
fix the designated problem. Somehow or t'other, it looks like the page 1
table is becoming 100% wide.

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
As the site is, I'd bail and look for another welder.

Never trust a welder that can't make good websites. It is always
the first thing I ask when interviewing welders.

dorayme said:
Never trust a welder that can't make good websites. It is always
the first thing I ask when interviewing welders.

no shit huh?
it's how you find the best plumbers too

jp2express

Correct. The page 1 in IE 7 jumps to 100% of the width, but it is the only
one.

You said to fix the validation errors? What validation errors did you find?

"Neredbojias" re-scribed:

jp2express

Why? That is where my news reader defaults to.

Personally, I prefer top posts because not everyone knows how to trim their
posts. With top posts, I can scroll through several messages without having
to scroll down on each message to see what was written. Makes since to me,
but I understand it does not to you. Sorry.

"Blinky the Shark" cried:

Blinky the Shark

http://blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

Personally, I prefer top posts because not everyone knows how to trim their
posts. With top posts, I can scroll through several messages without having
to scroll down on each message to see what was written. Makes since to me,
but I understand it does not to you. Sorry.

"Blinky the Shark" cried:

Chris F.A. Johnson

Why? That is where my news reader defaults to.

To quote someone or other: "Putting your reply at the top because
that's where your newsreader places the cursor is like shitting in
your pants because that's where your asshole is."

In fact, that's where the cursor should be placed, so that you can
move down through the post, inserting your replies in the
appropriate places.
Personally, I prefer top posts because not everyone knows how to trim their
posts.

You may be an exception, but top-posters are usually the worst
culprits when it comes to trimming quoted material.
With top posts, I can scroll through several messages without having
to scroll down on each message to see what was written.

If your reply doesn't refer to material in the post, why quote any
of it? If it does, it should follow the relevant section so that
people who have not seen (and may never see) or who have forgotten
the original post know what you are talking about.

jp2express

Again I state: If everyone used top posts, others can click through several
messages without having to scroll to the bottom of the preview window on
each message to read it.

I love top posts.

I'm guessing you use a Netscape product that dumps you onto the bottom of a
form by default, so you sheat there.

"Blinky the Shark" showed me his link:

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

jp2express said:
Again I state: If everyone used top posts, others can click through
several messages without having to scroll to the bottom of the
preview window on each message to read it.

"Others" would not have to do that if you top-posters learned how to
trim and quote properly. See how I am doing it?
I love top posts.

open the front cover and begin reading there?
the back cover and end up at the front or do you
chapter one or do you start somewhere near
When reading a book, do you start at

If there are three points made in the post you are replying to, and you
answer one of them at the top, how is anybody to know which one of the
points you were replying to?
I'm guessing you [Blinky] use a Netscape product that dumps you onto
the bottom of a form by default, so you sheat there.

You'd guess wrong. He uses slrn. It is plainly visible in his header, as
is your OE 6.00.2900.3138.

Now how would my post be easy to follow if I had just typed everything
up at the top?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

jp2express said:
You said to fix the validation errors? What validation errors did you find?

You could begin by removing that xml prolog from the top of every page.
This:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

Having that above the doctype throws IE into quirks mode.

Are these new pages? They should be Strict, not Transitional.

Why do you have multiple photos that are so very much alike, such as on
the Gate page?

Why doesn't the gate fit between the pillars?

Blinky the Shark

jp2express said:
Again I state: If everyone used top posts, others can click through several
messages without having to scroll to the bottom of the preview window on
each message to read it.

I love top posts.

I'm guessing you use a Netscape product that dumps you onto the bottom of a
form by default, so you sheat there.

No, I'm not. I start at the top and work my way down, snipping what's
irrelevant to my reply as I go, and interposting logically on the way
down. That's how clued participants use Usenet. Don't blame your lack
of clues and your laziness on your tools.

Blinky the Shark

Chris said:
To quote someone or other: "Putting your reply at the top because
that's where your newsreader places the cursor is like shitting in
your pants because that's where your asshole is."

In fact, that's where the cursor should be placed, so that you can
move down through the post, inserting your replies in the
appropriate places.

You may be an exception, but top-posters are usually the worst
culprits when it comes to trimming quoted material.

I don't believe he's trimmed anything yet. Just extrudes a steaming
coil on the top and moves on to the next post.

Bergamot

jp2express said:
Again I state: If everyone used top posts, others can click through several
messages without having to scroll to the bottom of the preview window on
each message to read it.

Please read
http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

BTW, if you expect to get any respect (or help) around here, you'd be
wise to conform to the accepted posting practices. Otherwise, you'll end
up in killfiles everywhere with the other clue-deficient folk.

dorayme

Bergamot said:
Please read
http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

BTW, if you expect to get any respect (or help) around here, you'd be
wise to conform to the accepted posting practices. Otherwise, you'll end
up in killfiles everywhere with the other clue-deficient folk.

It won't help. If you try top posting in any kf I am in, I will
torture you horribly. It is not lawless in there you know. There
are strict well practised rituals. Top posting in the ones I am
in gets a slow skinning.