Centering the page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jp2express, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. jp2express

    jp2express Guest

    I have a *very* basic website here:
    http://www.joeswelding.biz

    Yes, it has GoDaddy banners on it because I do not pay for hosting.

    Notice that the table that contains my junky logo is at the left side of the
    screen.

    In the pages that display on my other links (Contact, Red Trailer, Gray
    Trailer, Dump Trucks, and Entry Gate), I use identical tables to display
    that same junky logo. In fact, I just copied and pasted them in over and
    over (don't understand how to use a header file for this, yet).

    My question is: Why do the other pages center the table, but my index page
    does not?

    Feel free to look at the code. It isn't complex, and they are all identical
    as far as I can tell.

    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    Regards,
    ~Joe
    jp2express, Aug 1, 2007

  2. jp2express wrote:
    > I have a *very* basic website here:
    > http://www.joeswelding.biz
    >
    > Yes, it has GoDaddy banners on it because I do not pay for hosting.
    >
    > Notice that the table that contains my junky logo is at the left side of the
    > screen.
    >
    > In the pages that display on my other links (Contact, Red Trailer, Gray
    > Trailer, Dump Trucks, and Entry Gate), I use identical tables to display
    > that same junky logo. In fact, I just copied and pasted them in over and
    > over (don't understand how to use a header file for this, yet).
    >
    > My question is: Why do the other pages center the table, but my index page
    > does not?

    They're all the same here with Firefox. You didn't mention what browser
    you are viewing them in, so I trust you've only looked at them with IE;
    it's best to let people *know* what tools you're using.

    > Feel free to look at the code. It isn't complex, and they are all identical
    > as far as I can tell.
    >
    > Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    Using far too many large images. Not everyone has broadband. Your
    pages are too big. Use thumbnails linked to the time-wasting big
    images. As the site is, I'd bail and look for another welder.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2007

  3. jp2express

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:53:52
    GMT jp2express scribed:

    > I have a *very* basic website here:
    > http://www.joeswelding.biz
    >
    > Yes, it has GoDaddy banners on it because I do not pay for hosting.
    >
    > Notice that the table that contains my junky logo is at the left side
    > of the screen.
    >
    > In the pages that display on my other links (Contact, Red Trailer,
    > Gray Trailer, Dump Trucks, and Entry Gate), I use identical tables to
    > display that same junky logo. In fact, I just copied and pasted them
    > in over and over (don't understand how to use a header file for this,
    > yet).
    >
    > My question is: Why do the other pages center the table, but my index
    > page does not?
    >
    > Feel free to look at the code. It isn't complex, and they are all
    > identical as far as I can tell.
    >
    > Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    Only happens in ie. I'd say fixing your validation errors would probably
    fix the designated problem. Somehow or t'other, it looks like the page 1
    table is becoming 100% wide.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 1, 2007
  4. jp2express

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > As the site is, I'd bail and look for another welder.

    Never trust a welder that can't make good websites. It is always
    the first thing I ask when interviewing welders.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 1, 2007
  5. jp2express

    G Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> As the site is, I'd bail and look for another welder.

    > Never trust a welder that can't make good websites. It is always
    > the first thing I ask when interviewing welders.

    no shit huh?
    it's how you find the best plumbers too
    G, Aug 1, 2007
  6. jp2express

    jp2express Guest

    Correct. The page 1 in IE 7 jumps to 100% of the width, but it is the only
    one.

    You said to fix the validation errors? What validation errors did you find?

    "Neredbojias" re-scribed:

    jp2express, Aug 1, 2007
  7. jp2express wrote:
    > Correct. The page 1 in IE 7 jumps to 100% of the width, but it is the only
    > one.

    Stop top posting. Observe how others in here reply. Emulate.

    > You said to fix the validation errors? What validation errors did you find?

    The validator found these:

    http://tinyurl.com/2lf2p5

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2007
  8. jp2express

    jp2express Guest

    Why? That is where my news reader defaults to.

    Personally, I prefer top posts because not everyone knows how to trim their
    posts. With top posts, I can scroll through several messages without having
    to scroll down on each message to see what was written. Makes since to me,
    but I understand it does not to you. Sorry.

    "Blinky the Shark" cried:

    jp2express, Aug 1, 2007

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2007
  10. jp2express

    G Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > jp2express wrote:
    >> Why? That is where my news reader defaults to.

    > http://blinkynet.net/comp/toppost.html

    you write the book or just cut/copy/paste?

    G, Aug 1, 2007
  11. On 2007-08-01, jp2express wrote:
    > Why? That is where my news reader defaults to.

    To quote someone or other: "Putting your reply at the top because
    that's where your newsreader places the cursor is like shitting in
    your pants because that's where your asshole is."

    In fact, that's where the cursor should be placed, so that you can
    move down through the post, inserting your replies in the
    appropriate places.

    > Personally, I prefer top posts because not everyone knows how to trim their
    > posts.

    You may be an exception, but top-posters are usually the worst
    culprits when it comes to trimming quoted material.

    > With top posts, I can scroll through several messages without having
    > to scroll down on each message to see what was written.

    If your reply doesn't refer to material in the post, why quote any
    of it? If it does, it should follow the relevant section so that
    people who have not seen (and may never see) or who have forgotten
    the original post know what you are talking about.

    > Makes since to me, but I understand it does not to you. Sorry.
    >
    > "Blinky the Shark" cried:
    >>
    >> Stop top posting. Observe how others in here reply. Emulate.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Aug 1, 2007
  12. jp2express

    jp2express Guest

    Again I state: If everyone used top posts, others can click through several
    messages without having to scroll to the bottom of the preview window on
    each message to read it.

    I love top posts.

    I'm guessing you use a Netscape product that dumps you onto the bottom of a
    form by default, so you sheat there.

    "Blinky the Shark" showed me his link:

    jp2express, Aug 1, 2007
  13. jp2express wrote:

    > Again I state: If everyone used top posts, others can click through
    > several messages without having to scroll to the bottom of the
    > preview window on each message to read it.

    "Others" would not have to do that if you top-posters learned how to
    trim and quote properly. See how I am doing it?

    > I love top posts.

    open the front cover and begin reading there?
    the back cover and end up at the front or do you
    chapter one or do you start somewhere near
    When reading a book, do you start at

    If there are three points made in the post you are replying to, and you
    answer one of them at the top, how is anybody to know which one of the
    points you were replying to?

    > I'm guessing you [Blinky] use a Netscape product that dumps you onto
    > the bottom of a form by default, so you sheat there.

    You'd guess wrong. He uses slrn. It is plainly visible in his header, as
    is your OE 6.00.2900.3138.

    Now how would my post be easy to follow if I had just typed everything
    up at the top?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 2, 2007
  14. jp2express wrote:

    > You said to fix the validation errors? What validation errors did you find?

    You could begin by removing that xml prolog from the top of every page.
    This:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

    Having that above the doctype throws IE into quirks mode.

    Are these new pages? They should be Strict, not Transitional.

    Why do you have multiple photos that are so very much alike, such as on
    the Gate page?

    Why doesn't the gate fit between the pillars?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 2, 2007
  15. jp2express wrote:
    > Again I state: If everyone used top posts, others can click through several
    > messages without having to scroll to the bottom of the preview window on
    > each message to read it.
    >
    > I love top posts.
    >
    > I'm guessing you use a Netscape product that dumps you onto the bottom of a
    > form by default, so you sheat there.

    No, I'm not. I start at the top and work my way down, snipping what's
    irrelevant to my reply as I go, and interposting logically on the way
    down. That's how clued participants use Usenet. Don't blame your lack
    of clues and your laziness on your tools.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  16. On 01 Aug 2007 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote in alt.html

    > Why doesn't the gate fit between the pillars?

    Forgot to validate it.

    --
    D?
    Yorkshire Pete
    Yorkshire Pete, Aug 2, 2007
  17. Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > On 2007-08-01, jp2express wrote:
    >> Why? That is where my news reader defaults to.

    > To quote someone or other: "Putting your reply at the top because
    > that's where your newsreader places the cursor is like shitting in
    > your pants because that's where your asshole is."
    >
    > In fact, that's where the cursor should be placed, so that you can
    > move down through the post, inserting your replies in the
    > appropriate places.
    >
    >> Personally, I prefer top posts because not everyone knows how to trim
    >> their posts.

    > You may be an exception, but top-posters are usually the worst
    > culprits when it comes to trimming quoted material.

    I don't believe he's trimmed anything yet. Just extrudes a steaming
    coil on the top and moves on to the next post.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 2, 2007
  18. jp2express

    Bergamot Guest

    jp2express wrote:
    > Again I state: If everyone used top posts, others can click through several
    > messages without having to scroll to the bottom of the preview window on
    > each message to read it.

    Please read
    http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

    BTW, if you expect to get any respect (or help) around here, you'd be
    wise to conform to the accepted posting practices. Otherwise, you'll end
    up in killfiles everywhere with the other clue-deficient folk.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Aug 2, 2007
  19. jp2express wrote:

    > Why? That is where my news reader defaults to.

    Do you need a new keyboard? Are your PageDown and your arrow keys
    broken?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 2, 2007
  20. jp2express

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Bergamot <> wrote:

    > jp2express wrote:
    > > Again I state: If everyone used top posts, others can click through several
    > > messages without having to scroll to the bottom of the preview window on
    > > each message to read it.

    > Please read
    > http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html
    >
    > BTW, if you expect to get any respect (or help) around here, you'd be
    > wise to conform to the accepted posting practices. Otherwise, you'll end
    > up in killfiles everywhere with the other clue-deficient folk.

    It won't help. If you try top posting in any kf I am in, I will
    torture you horribly. It is not lawless in there you know. There
    are strict well practised rituals. Top posting in the ones I am
    in gets a slow skinning.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 2, 2007