Character set problem

CreateObject

I am using mySQL with ASP. I have a trouble with Turkish characters as I am
tring to get and display data from mySQL database. However, I can see whole
Turkish characters exactly when I use phpMyAdmin.

I used the following tags on HTML but I couldn't achieve to display Turkish
characters in any way.

mySQL database lang: latin5_turkish_ci
and

<% @Language = "VBScript" Codepage="1254"%>
Session.LCID = 1055
Session.CodePage = 1254

Is there any other way to overcome this problem?

Anthony Jones

CreateObject said:
I am using mySQL with ASP. I have a trouble with Turkish characters as I am
tring to get and display data from mySQL database. However, I can see whole
Turkish characters exactly when I use phpMyAdmin.

I used the following tags on HTML but I couldn't achieve to display Turkish
characters in any way.

mySQL database lang: latin5_turkish_ci
and

<% @Language = "VBScript" Codepage="1254"%>
Session.LCID = 1055
Session.CodePage = 1254

Is there any other way to overcome this problem?

You haven't shown us how you are writing the characters which would help.

I personally dislike using meta tags of this sort of thing.

Try also:-

Response.CharSet = "ISO-8859-9"

What codepage is the HTML saved as?

Perhaps you should consider switching to UTF-8 for all your web content and
output.

Anthony.

CreateObject

Thanks for your reply
I have been developing a template based multilingual website...

I have tried to save my templates as both codepage windows-1254 and utf-8
but nothing changed...
I also altered my database charset to utf8-general-ci but the same things
happened.

So how can I convert all my documents and data exactly UTF-8 and will this
completely solve my problem?

Evertjan.

CreateObject wrote on 11 mrt 2006 in
Thanks for your reply

Please quote what you are replying to.

"Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the
top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article
headers. <http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>

Anthony Jones

CreateObject said:
Thanks for your reply
I have been developing a template based multilingual website...

I have tried to save my templates as both codepage windows-1254 and utf-8
but nothing changed...
I also altered my database charset to utf8-general-ci but the same things
happened.

So how can I convert all my documents and data exactly UTF-8 and will this
completely solve my problem?

Here is what I recommend:-

Save all documents as UTF-8.
If your DB can store UTF-8 thats cool (I use SQL Server so would use
NVARCHAR which is unicode).

Drop the http-equiv meta tags from ASP pages use:-

Response.CharSet = "UTF-8"

instead.

LCID isn't doing anything for you (it controls how Dates are formatted etc)

use this at the top of every page:-

<%@ Language="VBScript" Codepage=65001 %>

That should give you a multilanguage platform.

Anthony.