    a way to selectively (aka briefly change a tag and then change it back
    to it's orignal formatting.

    what am i missing?

    brandons of mass destruction, Jul 26, 2003

  2. "Johannes Koch" <> wrote in message
    news:bg5qb3$kqtgu$-berlin.de...
    > brandons of mass destruction wrote:
    > > i'm looking into translating our pages into xml for posting.

    > > for instance most story's start with a lead in: the first few words are
    > > bolded and all in uppercase. how would I duplicate that in XML?

    > Well, you can output

    First, when you are creating the xml you have to mark up the first few
    words so the xsl can handle them separately.
    Once you have the xml shown above, you can transform it into

    If you can't do the markup in xml, you may have to settle for the css
    selector :first-line, (and text-transform:uppercase, or
    font-variant:small-caps) which is not quite what you want.

    > > there doesn't seem to be a way to selectively
    > > (aka briefly) change a tag and then change it back
    > > to it's orignal formatting.

    What do you mean by this? Each tag has a start and end,
    and applies to the content between the two. After the end
    tag, the content is within some outer tag pair, and "changes
    back" to the rules/styles/formatting for that tag.

    --
    Steve

    Steven Dilley, Jul 30, 2003