Checkbox problem

JIM

Hello,

I would like to solve the following problem :

I've a web site with ex. 5 checkboxes
Each checkbox contains the name of a certain task
ex.
asp:Checkbox 1: Task 1
asp:Checkbox 2: Task 2
asp:Checkbox 5: Task 5

Each time a task is finished on the server I would like to
inform the user that the task is finished by checking the checkbox to true
(Checked = True)
But I only see those checkboxes checked when the last tast is finished
(Then I see all 5 checkboxes checked)

How can I force my website to show each checkbox checked when a task
is finished ?

I'am using asp.net with Visual Studio 2003

Many thanks !

John Saunders

JIM said:
Hello,

I would like to solve the following problem :

I've a web site with ex. 5 checkboxes
Each checkbox contains the name of a certain task
ex.
asp:Checkbox 1: Task 1
asp:Checkbox 2: Task 2
asp:Checkbox 5: Task 5

Each time a task is finished on the server I would like to
inform the user that the task is finished by checking the checkbox to true
(Checked = True)
But I only see those checkboxes checked when the last tast is finished
(Then I see all 5 checkboxes checked)

How can I force my website to show each checkbox checked when a task
is finished ?

You seem to be misunderstanding how web applications work. I recently saw a
web page which did the following:

lblMessages.Text = "Starting..."

' do some stuff

lblMessages.Text = "Fetching from database..."

' do that

lblMessages.Text = "Finished"

The author seemed to think that the users would see the first two messages.
Of course, they only saw the third. See the following to find out why not:

The ASP.NET Page Object Model
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...pp/html/aspnet-pageobjectmodel.asp?frame=true)

Then take a look at the following to address your specific problem:

Indicating Progress
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...serverprogressfromaspnetclientapplication.asp
Make a Progress Indicator For Slow-Loading Pages
(http://www.aspnetpro.com/NewsletterArticle/2003/08/asp200308bm_l/asp200308bm_l.asp)
DESIGN PATTERNS: Asynchronous Wait State Pattern in ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/12/designpatterns/default.aspx

John Saunders

Eliyahu Goldin

What you could do is to get the page to refresh itself periodically and to
set the checkboxes on postbacks.

Eliyahu