    Thanks
    H. Pourfard
    , Jun 19, 2006

  2. I find DIV's much easier to work with than Tables, and significantly more
    readable in the source code, hence I can be a lot more productive using DIV
    positioning. If you step back in time to the creation of the web - Tables
    are meant to store rows and columns of data, not for format of document
    layouts and table pages are often made up of tables nested inside each other
    making it difficult for browsers to render, and a nightmare to create. CSS
    was added to assist with making sites aesthetic and to make placement of
    elements easier and to allow you to easily (easier) design your site with
    screen readers and accessibility in mind.

    In my humble opinion - CSS/Divs are the correct technology for page layout
    and cosmetics. Tables are the correct technology for listing tabular data.
    That doesn't mean I always follow this rule - and audience, time or a damned
    confusing requirement can easily influence when this is applied.

    A couple of good links for you:

    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=TablesVsDivs

    http://www.mardiros.net/liquid-css-layouts-4.html

    Essential read