Clarification needed

pqrs0387

Hi to all!
Dont mistake me by reading my question. I am new to Discussion Groups.

My first question :-
I want to know the difference between an ordinary group & a usenet
group.

second:- When a new user enters a group he can join that group by
clicking on the link "Join this group" (joining group is free
ofcourse). In case of joining a usenet, one has to click "Subscribe to
this group" What is the difference bet join & subscribe. Does a user
has to pay for subscription ?

Thanks

Jose

I want to know the difference between an ordinary group & a usenet

Usenet is a subset of the internet; it is something like the original
message board. It is typically accessed through software (a
newsreader) very similar to (and often bundled with) Email software. I
use Netscape 7.2, which is a suite of programs that includes a newsreader.

When the web became popular (the web is another subset of the internet),
somebody figured out that they could make a site that displays usenet
content as a web page, and let people post messages to usenet by posting
on a web page. Often they "brand" it as their own, and in doing so,
they deceive users into thinking they are getting content from the
website, when in fact they are just being given another interface to the
existing usenet newsgroups.

Google bought the Usenet archives and provides an interface to (all?)
groups, but they don't do a good job of it, and they hide what it really
is. "Google groups" are just newsgroups in drag.
second:- When a new user enters a group he can join that group by
clicking on the link "Join this group" (joining group is free
ofcourse). In case of joining a usenet, one has to click "Subscribe to
this group" What is the difference bet join & subscribe. Does a user
has to pay for subscription ?

There is no difference.

Subscribing to a Usenet group through a newsreader merely indicates to
the newsreader that it should download messages from the group on
command. A subscription is basically an entry in a file that tells the
newsreader what newsgroup you want to read. The word "Join" makes
people feel like "members" of the website that is palming off the
newsgroup as its own. But it means pretty much the same thing, except
that (I believe) the website keeps track for you.

I think one of the reasons they do this is to confuse people, because
confused people can be sold a bill of goods.

Jose

Blinky the Shark

Jose said:
[...]

Beautiful metaphor. You just made my evening. :)
Subscribing to a Usenet group through a newsreader merely indicates to
the newsreader that it should download messages from the group on
command. A subscription is basically an entry in a file that tells the
newsreader what newsgroup you want to read. The word "Join" makes
people feel like "members" of the website that is palming off the
newsgroup as its own. But it means pretty much the same thing, except
that (I believe) the website keeps track for you.

I think one of the reasons they do this is to confuse people, because
confused people can be sold a bill of goods.

Jose, may I use your explanation on (or on a separate page linked from) my
Google Groups page at blinkynet? (The link is in my sig.) If yes, how
would you like to be credited. Thanks much.

Jose

Jose, may I use your explanation on (or on a separate page linked from) my
Google Groups page at blinkynet? (The link is in my sig.)
Sure.

If yes, how would you like to be credited. Thanks much.

Gee, never really thought about that. How about in Krugerrands?

You can credit me as
Jose ([email protected])
in whatever manner works in best with your website.

Jose

Blinky the Shark

Jose said:
Gee, never really thought about that. How about in Krugerrands?

I am reminded of a sign I once saw in the service area of a gas station,
years and years ago:

Our Credit Department Manager's name is Helen Waite

If you want credit, you can go go Helen Waite

:)
You can credit me as
Jose ([email protected])
in whatever manner works in best with your website.

That's fine with me, Jose.

Thanks again. I'll ping you with a link when I have it worked in.

Jim Moe

My first question :-
I want to know the difference between an ordinary group & a usenet
group.
What is an "ordinary" group?
BTW it's USENET (USERs NETwork), not usenet.

David Dorward

I want to know the difference between an ordinary group & a usenet
group.

To most people, a newsgroup on Usenet (a Usenet group) IS a normal group.
Usenet consists of a large collection of servers run by many different
people and organisations that share messages.

Google provides a webbased client (with their own server) to Usenet along
with a large archive. To confuse matters they also provide a number of
private groups which exist only on their servers (which I think is what you
mean by "ordinary group").
second:- When a new user enters a group he can join that group by
clicking on the link "Join this group" (joining group is free
ofcourse). In case of joining a usenet, one has to click "Subscribe to
this group" What is the difference bet join & subscribe.

Nothing, except the name.
Does a user has to pay for subscription ?

No.

Blinky the Shark

Jose said:
Gee, never really thought about that. How about in Krugerrands?

You can credit me as
Jose ([email protected])
in whatever manner works in best with your website.

Second response:

Done already. :)

It's as you posted it with the exceptionof one edit. I changed your
question regarding the GG archive from

provides an interface to "(all?)" groups

to the statement

provides an interface to text groups

Okay?

Thanks.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, (e-mail address removed) vouchsafed:
Hi to all!
Dont mistake me by reading my question. I am new to Discussion Groups.

My first question :-
I want to know the difference between an ordinary group & a usenet
group.

second:- When a new user enters a group he can join that group by
clicking on the link "Join this group" (joining group is free
ofcourse). In case of joining a usenet, one has to click "Subscribe to
this group" What is the difference bet join & subscribe. Does a user
has to pay for subscription ?

I was going to reply to this personally but I see you've already gotten
adequate group therapy.

Jose

If you want credit, you can go go Helen Waite

LOL.

If you could add to the end of:
Often they "brand" it as their own, and in doing so, they deceive users into thinking they are getting content from the website, when in fact they are just being given another interface to the existing usenet newsgroups.

the sentence:
In all fairness, some web sites do have their own message boards that
are not connected with Usenet, but some do not (or do both), and the
difference is not apparant to those using the web interface.

That way the answer would be more complete.

Jose

Jim Moe

David said:
Actually, that's a maybe. Most ISPs provide USENET access on their
server as part of the service so the cost is part of the monthly fee.
I got tired of rebuilding my newsgroups every time I changed ISPs so I
subscribe to a news service separately.

David Dorward

Actually, that's a maybe. Most ISPs provide USENET access on their
server as part of the service so the cost is part of the monthly fee.

Which (a) is a payment that occurs long before the user gets the ability the
click the subscribe option in the newsreader and (b) doesn't apply to
Google Groups (which it is pretty clear from the context that the OP was
discussing).

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Jim Moe <jmm-list.AXSPAMGN@sohnen-
moe.com> vouchsafed:
I got tired of rebuilding my newsgroups every time I changed ISPs so I
subscribe to a news service separately.

Another "satisfied customer", eh?

Blinky the Shark

Jose said:
If you could add to the end of:

the sentence: In all fairness, some web sites do have their own
message boards that are not connected with Usenet, but some do not (or
do both), and the difference is not apparant to those using the web
interface.

Done.