    has to pay for subscription ?

    Thanks

    , May 5, 2006

  2. Jose Guest

    > I want to know the difference between an ordinary group & a usenet
    > group.

    Usenet is a subset of the internet; it is something like the original
    message board. It is typically accessed through software (a
    newsreader) very similar to (and often bundled with) Email software. I
    use Netscape 7.2, which is a suite of programs that includes a newsreader.

    When the web became popular (the web is another subset of the internet),
    somebody figured out that they could make a site that displays usenet
    content as a web page, and let people post messages to usenet by posting
    on a web page. Often they "brand" it as their own, and in doing so,
    they deceive users into thinking they are getting content from the
    website, when in fact they are just being given another interface to the
    existing usenet newsgroups.

    Google bought the Usenet archives and provides an interface to (all?)
    groups, but they don't do a good job of it, and they hide what it really
    is. "Google groups" are just newsgroups in drag.

    > second:- When a new user enters a group he can join that group by
    > clicking on the link "Join this group" (joining group is free
    > ofcourse). In case of joining a usenet, one has to click "Subscribe to
    > this group" What is the difference bet join & subscribe. Does a user
    > has to pay for subscription ?

    There is no difference.

    Subscribing to a Usenet group through a newsreader merely indicates to
    the newsreader that it should download messages from the group on
    command. A subscription is basically an entry in a file that tells the
    newsreader what newsgroup you want to read. The word "Join" makes
    people feel like "members" of the website that is palming off the
    newsgroup as its own. But it means pretty much the same thing, except
    that (I believe) the website keeps track for you.

    I think one of the reasons they do this is to confuse people, because
    confused people can be sold a bill of goods.

    Jose
    --
    The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

    Jose, May 5, 2006

  3. Jose wrote:

    > Usenet is a subset of the internet; it is something like the original
    > message board. It is typically accessed through software (a newsreader)
    > very similar to (and often bundled with) Email software. I use Netscape
    > 7.2, which is a suite of programs that includes a newsreader.
    >
    > When the web became popular (the web is another subset of the internet),
    > somebody figured out that they could make a site that displays usenet
    > content as a web page, and let people post messages to usenet by posting
    > on a web page. Often they "brand" it as their own, and in doing so, they
    > deceive users into thinking they are getting content from the website,
    > when in fact they are just being given another interface to the existing
    > usenet newsgroups.
    >
    > Google bought the Usenet archives and provides an interface to (all?)
    > groups, but they don't do a good job of it, and they hide what it really
    > is. "Google groups" are just newsgroups in drag.

    Beautiful metaphor. You just made my evening. :)

    > Subscribing to a Usenet group through a newsreader merely indicates to
    > the newsreader that it should download messages from the group on
    > command. A subscription is basically an entry in a file that tells the
    > newsreader what newsgroup you want to read. The word "Join" makes
    > people feel like "members" of the website that is palming off the
    > newsgroup as its own. But it means pretty much the same thing, except
    > that (I believe) the website keeps track for you.
    >
    > I think one of the reasons they do this is to confuse people, because
    > confused people can be sold a bill of goods.

    Jose, may I use your explanation on (or on a separate page linked from) my
    Google Groups page at blinkynet? (The link is in my sig.) If yes, how
    would you like to be credited. Thanks much.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2006
  4. Jose Guest

    > Jose, may I use your explanation on (or on a separate page linked from) my
    > Google Groups page at blinkynet? (The link is in my sig.)

    Sure.

    > If yes, how would you like to be credited. Thanks much.

    Gee, never really thought about that. How about in Krugerrands?

    You can credit me as
    Jose ()
    in whatever manner works in best with your website.

    Jose
    --
    The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

    Jose, May 5, 2006
  5. Jose wrote:

    >> Jose, may I use your explanation on (or on a separate page linked from)
    >> my Google Groups page at blinkynet? (The link is in my sig.)

    > Sure.
    >
    >> If yes, how would you like to be credited. Thanks much.

    > Gee, never really thought about that. How about in Krugerrands?

    I am reminded of a sign I once saw in the service area of a gas station,
    years and years ago:

    Our Credit Department Manager's name is Helen Waite

    If you want credit, you can go go Helen Waite

    :)

    > You can credit me as
    > Jose ()
    > in whatever manner works in best with your website.

    That's fine with me, Jose.

    Thanks again. I'll ping you with a link when I have it worked in.

    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2006
  6. Jim Moe Guest

    wrote:

    > My first question :-
    > I want to know the difference between an ordinary group & a usenet
    > group.

    What is an "ordinary" group?
    BTW it's USENET (USERs NETwork), not usenet.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, May 5, 2006
  7. wrote:

    > I want to know the difference between an ordinary group & a usenet
    > group.

    To most people, a newsgroup on Usenet (a Usenet group) IS a normal group.
    Usenet consists of a large collection of servers run by many different
    people and organisations that share messages.

    Google provides a webbased client (with their own server) to Usenet along
    with a large archive. To confuse matters they also provide a number of
    private groups which exist only on their servers (which I think is what you
    mean by "ordinary group").

    > second:- When a new user enters a group he can join that group by
    > clicking on the link "Join this group" (joining group is free
    > ofcourse). In case of joining a usenet, one has to click "Subscribe to
    > this group" What is the difference bet join & subscribe.

    Nothing, except the name.

    > Does a user has to pay for subscription ?

    No.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 5, 2006
  8. Jose wrote:

    >> Jose, may I use your explanation on (or on a separate page linked from)
    >> my Google Groups page at blinkynet? (The link is in my sig.)

    > Sure.
    >
    >> If yes, how would you like to be credited. Thanks much.

    > Gee, never really thought about that. How about in Krugerrands?
    >
    > You can credit me as
    > Jose ()
    > in whatever manner works in best with your website.

    Second response:

    Done already. :)

    It's as you posted it with the exceptionof one edit. I changed your
    question regarding the GG archive from

    provides an interface to "(all?)" groups

    to the statement

    provides an interface to text groups

    Okay?

    Thanks.

    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2006
  9. Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, vouchsafed:

    > Hi to all!
    > Dont mistake me by reading my question. I am new to Discussion Groups.
    >
    > My first question :-
    > I want to know the difference between an ordinary group & a usenet
    > group.
    >
    > second:- When a new user enters a group he can join that group by
    > clicking on the link "Join this group" (joining group is free
    > ofcourse). In case of joining a usenet, one has to click "Subscribe to
    > this group" What is the difference bet join & subscribe. Does a user
    > has to pay for subscription ?

    I was going to reply to this personally but I see you've already gotten
    adequate group therapy.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, May 5, 2006
  10. Jose Guest

    > provides an interface to "(all?)" groups
    >
    > to the statement
    >
    > provides an interface to text groups
    >
    > Okay?

    Okay. :)

    Jose
    --
    The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

    Jose, May 5, 2006
  11. Jose Guest

    > If you want credit, you can go go Helen Waite

    LOL.

    If you could add to the end of:
    > Often they "brand" it as their own, and in doing so, they deceive users into thinking they are getting content from the website, when in fact they are just being given another interface to the existing usenet newsgroups.

    the sentence:
    In all fairness, some web sites do have their own message boards that
    are not connected with Usenet, but some do not (or do both), and the
    difference is not apparant to those using the web interface.

    That way the answer would be more complete.

    Jose
    --
    The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

    Jose, May 5, 2006
  12. Jim Moe Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    >> Does a user has to pay for subscription ?

    > No.

    Actually, that's a maybe. Most ISPs provide USENET access on their
    server as part of the service so the cost is part of the monthly fee.
    I got tired of rebuilding my newsgroups every time I changed ISPs so I
    subscribe to a news service separately.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, May 5, 2006
  13. Jim Moe wrote:

    >>> Does a user has to pay for subscription ?

    >> No.

    > Actually, that's a maybe. Most ISPs provide USENET access on their
    > server as part of the service so the cost is part of the monthly fee.

    Which (a) is a payment that occurs long before the user gets the ability the
    click the subscribe option in the newsreader and (b) doesn't apply to
    Google Groups (which it is pretty clear from the context that the OP was
    discussing).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 5, 2006
  14. Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Jim Moe <jmm-list.AXSPAMGN@sohnen-
    moe.com> vouchsafed:

    > I got tired of rebuilding my newsgroups every time I changed ISPs so I
    > subscribe to a news service separately.

    Another "satisfied customer", eh?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, May 5, 2006
  15. Jose wrote:

    > If you could add to the end of:
    >> Often they "brand" it as their own, and in doing so, they deceive
    >> users into thinking they are getting content from the website, when
    >> in fact they are just being given another interface to the existing
    >> usenet newsgroups.

    > the sentence: In all fairness, some web sites do have their own
    > message boards that are not connected with Usenet, but some do not (or
    > do both), and the difference is not apparant to those using the web
    > interface.

    Done.

    Blinky the Shark, May 5, 2006