Class Diagrams/ UML et al

Lawrence Tierney

Hello,

Anybody know of how I can create a Class Diagrams/UML diagrams or
similar of a bunch of related perl scripts and modules (some of which
are not OO)?

Basically I have a web site composed of a lot of perl scripts which
between them share a lot of modules, the modules in turn use
functions/methods from other modules. I would like a nice graphical
way to display the relationships between the scripts/modules and
modules.

I tried using MS Visio *grrrr* to map the website but it refused to
"see" the perl modules even after I added them as a known file type -
I guess it didn't actually read the content of the scripts.

Any ideas?

Lord0

James Willmore

On 27 Aug 2003 09:08:20 -0700
Anybody know of how I can create a Class Diagrams/UML diagrams or
similar of a bunch of related perl scripts and modules (some of
which are not OO)?

Basically I have a web site composed of a lot of perl scripts which
between them share a lot of modules, the modules in turn use
functions/methods from other modules. I would like a nice graphical
way to display the relationships between the scripts/modules and
modules.

I tried using MS Visio *grrrr* to map the website but it refused to
"see" the perl modules even after I added them as a known file type
- I guess it didn't actually read the content of the scripts.

To work exactly like Viso - no.
The closest thing that I seen that will aid in creating a UML diagram
is dia - which you can find at ...
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/

You have to do the typing - sorry :(

I'm not 100% sure there is a tool that will bring in Perl code into a
UML tool out there. There are plenty of tools that will colorize your
code or manipulate it into a format suitable for the web, but nothing
like Viso.

I guess I might have to write one, because I like having a flowchart
or UML case diagram handy to aid in design - but that's me :)

What you can do, that will not only document your code, but (I
think) can be used by some tool you'll have to search for, is use POD
(Plain Old Documentation). It's the markup language Perl uses to
generate, well, POD's.

Type
perldoc perlpod
for more info

HTH

James Willmore

On 27 Aug 2003 09:08:20 -0700
Anybody know of how I can create a Class Diagrams/UML diagrams or
similar of a bunch of related perl scripts and modules (some of
which are not OO)?

Basically I have a web site composed of a lot of perl scripts which
between them share a lot of modules, the modules in turn use
functions/methods from other modules. I would like a nice graphical
way to display the relationships between the scripts/modules and
modules.

I tried using MS Visio *grrrr* to map the website but it refused to
"see" the perl modules even after I added them as a known file type
- I guess it didn't actually read the content of the scripts.

Any ideas?

I made a slight error in my previous post.

Check out Autodia (can be obtained via CPAN).

HTH