Cleaning up Visual Studio's Directory Pollution

Will Chamberlain

I consider myself somewhat of a neat-freak when it comes to organization
of information. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe that includes
should be in the includes folder, images in the image folder. Hell, the
databases should even be in a database folder. Are there any ways to
configure VS.NET to store vb, xsd, cs, resx, etc... somewhere besides
the root directory? Don't get me wrong, I think Visual Studio .NET is a
great product, it's just that I think that it's rather sloppy to have
the overabundance of files in one directory. Since I am now working for
a larger company and need to build more industrial-strength
applications, I have no choice but to use Visual Studio and would think
that a software suite of this magnitude would allow for customization of
a web directory.

Don't even get me started on Visual Studio's HTML source.

Juan T. Llibre

Your prayers have been answered...in V.2.0

You not only have a /bin directory now, but have :

/App_Code
/App_GlobalResources
/App_LocalResources
/App_WebReferences
/App_Data
/App_Browsers
/App_Themes

There's an easy way to configure the IDE so that
it doesn't mangle your HTML source, too.

Is there anything else you wanted ?

;-)

Will Chamberlain

The non-mangling of HTML source code is reason enough to go with 2005!

Now do I have to wait until I get 2005 to use this or can I strong-arm
2003?

I just realized that I received an Enterprise MSDN Subscription when I
started this job. I might have to check that out tomorrow!