Client Certificate Support

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by localhost, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. localhost

    localhost Guest

    I have an IIS6 site that does not have an SSL certificate installed.
    I do not want to install a server SSL cert on the site.

    I want to protect certain .aspx pages based on the availibility of the
    web browser client certificate. I want to do something like this:

    HttpClientCertificate clientCert = Request.ClientCertificate;
    if ( clientCert.IsValid == true )
    {
    if ( clientCert.PublicKey == bytesIexpectToGet )
    {
    // Allow access to the page

    But
    (1) does that work with IE on Windows, IE on Mac, Netscape on Windows,
    Opera on Windows, Safari on Mac?
    (2) can I do the above without needing SSL certificates or any
    non-default IIS Admin settings on the web server?

    This is for an ISP hosted environment where I have no control over any
    IIS settings.

    Thanks.

    localhost, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Hi Localhost,

    Thanks for posting in the community!
    From your description, you'd like to manually obtain the client
    certificates in your ASP.NET code without setting the certification
    requirment on the IIS server, yes?

    Based on my research, the client side certificate will be sent to the
    requested site only if the site has configured to request the certain
    certificate. Otherwise, no certificate will be sent. Here is the detailed
    related document in MSDN:

    #Request.ClientCertificate Collection
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/ref_vbom_reqoccc.asp?fram
    e=true

    And here are some other references on Certificate Services

    #Certificate Services
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/security/security/certificate_servic
    es.asp?frame=true

    #Publishing Web Sites using Client Certificate Authentication
    http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Publishing_Web_Sites_using_Client_Certifi
    cate_Authentication.html

    Please check out the preceding items. If you have any further questions,
    please feel free to post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support